Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids
View Poll Results: What will keep my truck from bouncing on the highway
Its a truck its supposed to do that
12.50%
New shocks
79.17%
Air "helper" bags
8.33%
Bags and shocks
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: what would improve my ride on the freeway

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 02:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KleenHall
i have felt the difference with and without the hitch, i felt it with a big weight distributing hitch
i also have a big spare hanging out in the back
im tellin you if you understood how leafs work then you would go with a longer shackle
I have a longer shackle - drop shackle. No difference in ride either way
Old 08-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Launching!

im tellin you if you understood how leafs work then you would go with a longer shackle
I understand how leafs work but simply raising the mounting point of the leaf spring to the rear hangar does nothing for the spring rate of the spring pack which would be how the ride is affected as i understand it. Not to mention i would need to get shorter shocks.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mtrhd329
I understand how leafs work but simply raising the mounting point of the leaf spring to the rear hangar does nothing for the spring rate of the spring pack which would be how the ride is affected as i understand it. Not to mention i would need to get shorter shocks.
for what its worth - 2 inch shackle doesnt need shorter shocks according to bilstein.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mtrhd329
when the leaf flattens out the shackle leans back, the short shackle is not long enough to give the leaf the room the flatten completly causing spring bind, this bind causes a huge spike in the rate, and most trucks ride right near the point the bind starts, kind of how most front ends ride on or near the bump stop, this "bind" also gives the spring anti bump properties keeping it from flattening
the shackle is not just a mounting point but its part of the geometry of the spring, the length of the shackle changes the rate making them progressive
a longer shackle will soften the rate

if thats not enough you need to alter the springs, which are made not only to carry the weight of your truck but any thing you might load into it
they are too stiff for just the truck itself, thats why they all have the factory rake, also when the springs are loaded the truck sits level
adding sand bags equalizes the spring rate
Old 08-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Launching!

I installed my Bilstein HD's today and it really helped but didnt cure the bouncing. I would say it took it from 10 being i need to throw up riding in the truck to a calmer 6. I have cab mounts on the way from GM they should be here near the end of the week so i will report back how that goes.

The stock shocks would compress with very little effort and would not extend unless i shock the **** out of them and even then it was a slow extension. I guess they have a short life on these highways.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Launching!

found my little pic, it works the same when the shackle is flipped opposite
Attached Thumbnails POLL: what would improve my ride on the freeway-leaf-spring-shackle-angle.jpg  
Old 08-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Launching!

Just opened my box from GM parts direct. Turns out my cab mounts that were supposed to be all soft and mushy to help smooth out the ride are in fact a hard plastic type material and the paint is flaking off of them and there are rust spots on them. How can a "brand new" part be sent to me in a cardboard box with just paper wrapped around it and not in the GM boxes??

Did i get the wrong part in the mail or is this what it should be?
Old 08-19-2010, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Coban
The "Pierce Elevated" section of I-45 in Houston does this bad. If you look around every other car is doing it as well.

I've never seen stiffer shocks give a smoother ride.... Maybe you'll be the first.
I love the Pearce Elevated!!! If you adjust your speed to the bounce you can generate an awesome standing wave that will actually get you airborne!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

I have this problem on my 04 ECSB all stock. I ended up adjusting my front torsion bars up raising the front ride height 1" and it helped get rid of about %70 of the rear bounce now I will go for shocks for the rest.
It must change the load on the springs just like adding weight.