Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Parts Guy: "Lowering a truck will not cause a vibration....."

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Parts Guy: "Lowering a truck will not cause a vibration....."

Well the shims i ordered won't ship until late next week, so i started looking around locally... I call the 4WheelParts.com store in Dallas and this is how the conversation went...

Me: Do you have a set of steel Rubicon Express 2.5 x 6* shims in stock?

dewey: Yes we stock alot of shims what is this going on.

Me: 2004 GMC Sierra

dewey: Are you getting a vibration

Me: Yes only under a heavy load, cruising it is fine, and my truck is lowered

dewey: Lowering a truck does not cause a vibration......

Me: Well i just replaced the Flywheel, swapped in a 4L80 Transmission, relocated the cross member, added a custom High Speed ballanced driveshaft, my driveline angles got thrown off when i did all that. Currently i have +6* pinion angle and all i need to know if you have the shims in stock

dewey: Yes we stock alot of shims, but i will need to look at your truck.

Me: No need to look at it I just need to know if you have these specific shims in stock

dewey: I am sure we can figure something out and put something together for you.

Me: Neato, but i am 1 hour away from your store and all i want you todo is burn 1 calorie and look on the shelf or on your computer to see if they are instock.

dewey: I am sure we have them.....

Me: So are you gonna verify, because a hour drive is pretty long to find out you don't have them in stock...

dewey: ....... Well.....

Me: (hangs up the phone.....)

Next i call another 4wheelparts.com store and have them look up the part number and look if they are in stock. He said no but the previous store i just called has them... I was like great, that is all i need to know....
Old 03-15-2012, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LMAO at the smiley for his side of the conversation.

Hopefully you get the vibrations figured out.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Resident Retard

Yep, all i need is for someone to sell me some damn shims... Seems simple enough to be but still.....
Old 03-15-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Veteran

haha well hopefully he has what you need if you make the drive. Guy sounds like he was just trying to get more money out of you
Old 03-15-2012, 07:41 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

Had a similiar conversation with a guy at orileys trying to buy a single TR6 spark plug. As soon as I mentioned it was for a forged 402 the **** hit the fan and he started talking about race only plugs blah blah blah...I finally just looked up the exact part number and said do you have this or not? (4177, btw).
Old 03-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Resident Retard

Ya i have learned to show up at orileys with the part number in hand....

I figured this ***-clown would at least have a clue, since they sell stuff for lifted trucks... If the ****** does not have the part instock i and gonna *** rape him with a break-over bar until his gums in his month bleed!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Atomic
Had a similiar conversation with a guy at orileys trying to buy a single TR6 spark plug. As soon as I mentioned it was for a forged 402 the **** hit the fan and he started talking about race only plugs blah blah blah...I finally just looked up the exact part number and said do you have this or not? (4177, btw).
Hell, I tried to buy one TR6 at my local O'Reilly's and they said they couldn't sell that plug in anything short of a "case", which was like 24 plugs. They wouldn't even sell me the standard four. Ironic?

And 4wheelparts has screwed me over in the past, specifically on shipping--damages and plain out wrong parts. I never dealt with someone like that on the phone with THEM, but it seems those type are more and more common at parts stores. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Black, what's your drop setup and current pinion angle? Mine is 2/4 with a pretty awful pinion angle. I still have in my 2* shims fat back from the shackles install a couple years ago. I'm gonna try to install the carrier bearing relocator tomorrow. Here's a pic of my current pinion angle.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:51 PM
02 w/ lowest mileage 2800

6* is a lot, you might want to look into shimming the trans mount also.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Resident Retard

Mine is a 2/3 or 2/4... But it is lower than all my friends 2/4s.... My rearend looks like yours, pointing up 6*

Quick Reply: Parts Guy: "Lowering a truck will not cause a vibration....."