Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Lost about lowering setups

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lost about lowering setups

Trying to lower my 02 Z71 RCSB and every search I do makes me more and more confused about the proper setup. I am looking to go a little lower than 3/5 but am concerned about ground clearance for snow in the winter time. I thought about 2500hd keys and shackles but don't think that will get me as low as I want with a good ride. Aside from the looks, my biggest concern is the ride quality. I am ok with a firm-ish ride but don't want anything jarring or harsh.

I am thinking about the DJM 4/6 kit you can get on ebay. It comes with a notch setup but no one has said anything about notching a 4wd truck. When is that needed?

What shocks will I need to run with this kit? It comes with the DJM upper arms and the rear flip kit. Is there a better way to accomplish my goals? If I go this low can I adjust the keys up in the winter time to regain a little snow clearance?

Please someone point me in the right direction!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not for sure on the keys because Ive never lowered a 4x4 yet, however having lowered a few 2 wheel drive trucks I can tell you that it seems much tougher than it really is. That said, I would imagine with the DJM 4/6 kit you should be able to crank the T-bars back up a bit to gail some height when you want it. The notch in the rear is simply for clearance, some people run them, some don't. Personally I think it's a good idea so you don't keep bottoming out your axel on your frame rail. Ride quality should stay about the same or become slightly stiffer, but not terribly. As far as shocks, it just depends what you prefer, everyone on here seems to have different experiences with different setups. Hope this helps some.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh yeah I am well aware of the difficulties. I forgot to add I just sold my lowered Colorado to pick this truck up. That truck is the reason why I am so concerned about ride quality. That truck rode HORRIBLE and I hated it lol.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a good thread on what shocks most of these guys are running: https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...unning-516104/ I don't think your ride should be that horrible though, fullsizes ride surprisingly nice even when dropped.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may help you 4wd lowering FAQ
Old 04-03-2013, 09:11 AM
Teching In

I would advise agaisnt the DJM notch. Not me personally but i know and read about a few ppls frame bending with the DJM notch.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by staticgmc03
This may help you 4wd lowering FAQ
Thanks, thats a great link. After reading that I looked more deeply into the 2500hd key setup. I think I am going to do it and go with a 3/5, then assess what needs to be changed from there.

I am almost completely concerned with the ride quality of the key setup like that along with the need for a notch in the rear.

Would a Belltech notch kit be better than a DJM?

Thanks again for that link!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
Thanks, thats a great link. After reading that I looked more deeply into the 2500hd key setup. I think I am going to do it and go with a 3/5, then assess what needs to be changed from there.

I am almost completely concerned with the ride quality of the key setup like that along with the need for a notch in the rear.

Would a Belltech notch kit be better than a DJM?

Thanks again for that link!
Yes, belltech or mcg notch. The ride quality in the rear if notched will be just fine as long as you have decent shock setup. But hard to recommend shocks because some ppl like stiffer ride, some like softer ride, etc. i have belltech street performance shocks and Mcg helper bags in the rear and it rides great to me.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by staticgmc03
Yes, belltech or mcg notch. The ride quality in the rear if notched will be just fine as long as you have decent shock setup. But hard to recommend shocks because some ppl like stiffer ride, some like softer ride, etc. i have belltech street performance shocks and Mcg helper bags in the rear and it rides great to me.
That's understandable. I think I will go with the 2500hd keys up front and then 2" or 3" shackles in the rear for now along with removing the lift blocks. If the ride sucks, I can change back until I can do a real lowering setup, if not I'll run it until I can get the proper setup and the proper ride height that I want.

I'll just have to figure out if I want to chance things with a 3" shackle in the rear or just go with a 2 so I don't have to notch immediately..
Old 04-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Teching In

You have to pay to play. lowering or lifting changes the ride and can wear out parts faster. To lower the front of your truck you are going take tension off your t-bars which changes spring rate which changes ride. By my thinking I would say the front will get bouncy. Don't know for sure as I have never lowered a 4x4. If II were to lower one I would start with drop spindles for the front.
There are some things you can do like make sure you get shocks valved for lower trucks or finding new springs that lower the truck and change spring rate accordingly. I had an 89 c1500 that I put 4 inch lowering leaf spring that were 40per soft spring rate, was still pretty stiff. Some companies do a better job then others, I like McGaghey's. I mainly chimed in to say that if you are going to lower you truck as much as you say you want to the ride will be effected, keep you stock parts so you can go back if you dont like it.