Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Looking to get a torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

call him up and ask him real quick.. i was told that it really doesnt make a difference in tuning unless you get a larger stall like 3000 or more but i could always be wrong.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but will it all have the same effect of a tc
Originally Posted by 99BlAcKz71
if you are going with a 3k you need a tranny cooler. But you should do a TransGo shift kit($150), corvette servo($15) and a B&M cooler($50) at the minumum.

Personally I wouldnt put a 3k stall it a stock(motor) truck. you should pick up a TB converter they are only like $200

you could do all that stuff for cheaper than just a 3K stall..

...just my .02
Old 12-22-2005, 09:16 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no reason why you cant run a 3K stall on a stock internal motor. I did for 8 months and so have MANY other people. You do NOT need to retune for the stall. I ran on the regular stall tune for 3 months before I got Allen to update my tune for the stall. Its my understanding that he can add a bit of timing down low for the stall or something. Anyway a stall will make you shifts feel alot softer thus everyone recommends the shift kit and servos. The transgo hd-2 kit is a good kit and only cost 80 bucks or so off ebay. Geta vette servo off ebay for 15 bucks take it to a trans shop and pay then 150 or so to install that. Or do it yourself. The tc swap on a 2wd is cake its so easy its not even funny now a 4wd is a diff story damn t-case and heat shields it will drive you nutts. Dont be afraid of a 3K stall be afraid of going to the tire shop every week cause when you floor it you will leave two black marks through first and it gets addicting
Old 12-22-2005, 09:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ran a 3k stall with cam only if u tow alot go with a ptc 2800 if not go with a ptc 3000.that is what run
Old 12-23-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im thinking of going with the fuddle stalls but i just dont know very much about these things and i dont want it to mess up my truck in the long run.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:45 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

I read somewhere that Yank does not suggest intalling a shift kit with their TC's. I am not sure if this was about a specific TC or a specific shift kit, but the Yank representative said that Yank wont warranty a TC that was used in a trans that used a shiftkit. I dont know how they would know if a shiftkit was used but anyhow.

The rep said that the incresed line pressure can cause ballooning of the TC due to the Yank TC having much closer tolerances than the others, even compared to teh Precsion Industries Vilgilante TC.

THe P.E. TC's need a shift kit as part throttle shifting becomes sloppy, at least on an LT1 car. I dont know exactly what the differences of teh 2 converters are but maybe you should check with Yank and see if a shift kit should or should not be used with their TC''s.

I am currentky running a V6 S10 L35 stock TC behind my Vortec 350 regcab shorty, I can brake stall it to 2500 rpm. My TC is the older equivalent to the TRailblazer I-6 TC that the new style truck owners are using.
With the stock T.C. I would shift at 5500 rpm and the tach would fal;l back to 3300 rpm after the shift. Acceleration seemed to hesitate as the engine was slightly under its powerband. Now at the same 5500 rpm shift the revs come back down to 3700 rpm and the truck just keeps accelerating with no pause in acceleration. 400 rpm doesnt sound like much, but I was surprised how much it helped acceleration thru the shifts.

My 60 ft times averaged around 2.150, now I cut consistent 2.00 times with street radials (275/60/15).

When I accelerate from a stoplight under about an 1/8th throttle, the rpms rise to about 1800-2000 rpm and dont lower more than 200 rpm when the trans shifts into 2nd and 3rd, but when the TCC (torque converter clutch) locks, the revs drop and the throttle response is similar to a manual trans truck.

I got the TC for cheap, it was a very nice addition. I can hardly wait until I can install a Precison Industries Vigilante installed. Then I can CONFIDENTLY do some WOT TCC engaement testing in 2nd gear. If I lock the TC in 3rd, my et suffers by 1 yenth, I dont have the power to overcome a WOT TCC lockup in 3rd, By doing so in 2nd gear, I may be able to lock teh TCC and not have an ET reduction. Many Fbody and Turbo Buick guys have success with locking teh TCC in 2nd or 3rd gear. The locked TCC puts more power to the ground, but the engine must have the power to overcome a locking TCC as locking the TCC removes torque multiplication from teh equation.

peace
Hog