Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

First Impressions Of The Shift Kit!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Impressions Of The Shift Kit!

Well I Finally Got The Kit Installed Yesterday. Heres The List:
Transgo Hd2 Shift Kit
Hardened Seperator Plate
Billet 1-2 Servo
Billet Od Servo
Allu. Pinless Accumulators 1-2 And 3-4
Allu. Pinless Forward Accumulator
Servo Release Check Valve
I Think Thats It!

I Had Them Drill The 1-2 Hole To .070, The 2-3 To .115 And The 3-4 To .120, And The Servo Release Check Valve To .120 By Hitman X Advise. When They Called And Said It Was Done I Hadent Received My Tune From Nelson Yet, But I Had To Drive It To See If It Was Right. It Shifted Extremely Hard Because The Line Pressure Was Still Up On That Tune, It Would Hit A Second Scratch At 1/3 Throttle!! It Even Hit A Third Scratch A Couple Of Times At Half Throttle. I Didnt Hammer On It At All Cuz I Thought I Would Screw Something Up. Then I Got The New Tune In And Took It For A Drive And Here Are The Results:
The 1-2 Shift At Light To Half Throttle Is Firm And Quick But Not Harsh, I'd Say 3/4 To Full Throttle And It Will Chirp The Tires(exactly The Way I Wanted It!) The 2-3 Shift Is Pretty Firm At Wot But Its Perfect With Any Less Throttle. 3-4 Is Fine Also. Man It Really Feels Like A Different Truck With That In There And All Of The Tm Removed. Im Anxious To See If It Will Help My 1/4 Mile Times At All. The Only Thing That Is Bothering Me Is When You Hit It From 20 To 30 Punch Sometimes It Takes A Second To Shift Down, But Sometimes It Doesnt? Is That Normal Or Is Something Not Right?
But Otherwise I Love It. Could Some Of You Tell Me Your Experiences With Your Shift Kits.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

mine seems to shift harder when its warm out/higher tranny temps??? maybe its just me and my mind though, i dont know?

i havent noticed anything like your 20-30 punch though. at WOT with the kit i have, it is extremely violent.

oh, and i posted this on silveradoss.com too, once again, maybe it was my mind, but when i installed my ASM headers and put a new tune in for it, for the first several miles driving, it didnt feel like it was shifting as hard as it usually does. it has gone back to its normal violent shifts, but for the awhile there i was worried.

those are my shift kit experiences.

good luck to ya
todd
Old 05-13-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KBOBOZ71
I Had Them Drill The 1-2 Hole To .070, The 2-3 To .115 And The 3-4 To .120,
I am going to install one in my truck soon. Largest hole gets drilled to .093 per the instructions. I'm going with that and play with shifts in the tune if I don't like them. Wish I had gotten the pinless accumulators like you installed also. Am going to replace the plastic one with aluminum. I understand that the pinned versions eventually wear out. Doubt my tranny will last that long.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah The Only Reason I Drilled The 2-3 And 3-4 Out More Was For The 3000 Stall Ill Be Putting In Later, It Will Soften Them Up At Part Throttle.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vtodd82
mine seems to shift harder when its warm out/higher tranny temps??? maybe its just me and my mind though, i dont know?

i havent noticed anything like your 20-30 punch though. at WOT with the kit i have, it is extremely violent.

oh, and i posted this on silveradoss.com too, once again, maybe it was my mind, but when i installed my ASM headers and put a new tune in for it, for the first several miles driving, it didnt feel like it was shifting as hard as it usually does. it has gone back to its normal violent shifts, but for the awhile there i was worried.

those are my shift kit experiences.

good luck to ya
todd

it's a comfortable shift.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry this is off topic, but why is every single word capitalized? Why is it doing that?

Ok, on topic........ Is that a good thing to have your tires chirping at only 3/4 throttle? I would think that would be cool in a high school parking lot, but for performance, wouldn't it be better to only have it "barking" the shift at full throttle so you don't lose power up in smoke?

The other thing I'm curious about: when I had my Lightnings (2 of them) the shift kit was such that when it was first installed, it wouldn't bark them in 2nd. After a few hundred miles, it seemed to "brake in" and then would bark them in 2nd, but again, only at full throttle (and that's with 500tq at the rear wheels). I wonder if your kit is going to get firmer like mine did. If so, your 3/4 throttle chirps are only going to get worse.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:32 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm guessing he had CAPS LOCK on and the forum software automatically uncapitalizes all but, the first letters. It's supposed to help when people use all caps but, it's just as hard to read as all caps IMHO.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that sure the hell is weird...