Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Drag radials or not

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a little insight, I got the same size KDW's (285/60R18), and took them off after two weeks. I hated them. I went with 305/55R18 Nittos, and I love them.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info on the KDW's. I'll probably go for the Nittos.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am fairly new to the late model hot rodding truck scene, but i've been around the street/drag racing scene for a long time. From my experiences and from what I have learned from others is that the BFG drag radials hook a little better than the Nitto's but do not last as long. I've heard of the Nittos lasting as long as 15k miles. I'm sure they were easy on them.
The Mickey Thompson DRs are 10x better than any other drag radial hands down, no comparison. Many cars even go faster on them than true slicks. They have a true drag race compound and will not last more than 3k miles on the road. They must be put on another set of wheels unless it is a weekend warrior truck/car. The BFG's are the best "happy medium" tire for street/drag use. But remember, any drag radial or slick will hook better with the tallest sidewall you can stand. This allows the sidewall to wrinkle more and adsorb shock.
I know absolutly no one who has run the new M&H DRs so I can no include them in this comparison.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SCIV
For a little insight, I got the same size KDW's (285/60R18), and took them off after two weeks. I hated them. I went with 305/55R18 Nittos, and I love them.
Are the Nittos you got the 404's? The Nitto DR's don't come in that size.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mjhoward
I am fairly new to the late model hot rodding truck scene, but i've been around the street/drag racing scene for a long time. From my experiences and from what I have learned from others is that the BFG drag radials hook a little better than the Nitto's but do not last as long. I've heard of the Nittos lasting as long as 15k miles. I'm sure they were easy on them.
The Mickey Thompson DRs are 10x better than any other drag radial hands down, no comparison. Many cars even go faster on them than true slicks. They have a true drag race compound and will not last more than 3k miles on the road. They must be put on another set of wheels unless it is a weekend warrior truck/car. The BFG's are the best "happy medium" tire for street/drag use. But remember, any drag radial or slick will hook better with the tallest sidewall you can stand. This allows the sidewall to wrinkle more and adsorb shock.
I know absolutly no one who has run the new M&H DRs so I can no include them in this comparison.
I would love to run the MT drag radials but I need an 18" rim so I can get some decent sized brakes. I would think about the BFG drag radials but the 18" one they have are all very low profile and not very tall.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:00 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by mjhoward
I am runnin the M&H Drs my 60' is 1.814 no tire spin at all.