Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

DJM is still using junk balljoints? damn it

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DJM is still using junk balljoints? damn it

So i called DJM a while ago and asked if they were still using the **** balljoints they used years ago. The guy told me no that they were using an oem balljoint and had all the problems cleared up. Well I just got my control arms in the mail and they have the old POS lower balljoints in them.

I mean these things are junk. The boot is too small and the metal is too soft. My last set wore out after a year. I replaced them with a new oem set that DJM sold as a replacement. I was under the impression that this new kit would have come with those. DAMN IT!

Junk Joints.

Name:  IMG00069-20091230-1950.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  94.4 KB
Old 12-30-2009, 07:39 PM
SPAM HUNTER

They probably did switch, but are still selling the old ones off their shelves before the new ones go out.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:44 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You gonna run them, or just put in the better ball joints now?
Old 12-30-2009, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

I talked to them in the spring and this box is dated Sep/09. I think Ill give them a call on Monday when they are back and find out the real story.

I wonder why they offer a better unit for replacement but dont use it with the new LCA's.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree, I put a set on my 02 back in 2003 or so and the ball joints were shot in a year!
The powder coat peeled off and they rusted bad.............went with Airride tubular.
I remember having a lot of problems with that co., sending the wrong parts, one a arm different than the other etc. never again!
Old 12-31-2009, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

yep, I put their upper/lower control arms on my '08 and had two bad balljoints within 10K miles, less than 6 months. I first noticed the boots were cracking and then one fell off! Then of course the joints became sloppy and pretty much wrecked my new tires. I personally inspected and greased them on a lift at each oil change.

And on one of the uppers, two of the cheap bolts they supply snapped, leaving me with only the other two (now loose) bolts keeping me on the road. Thank God I found this in time, the arm was days away from popping off and probably would have happened while driving my son to school.

DJM was rude and told me I could buy a replacement set, of course there is no warranty on Chinese crap. I'm thinking WTF, why would I buy another set

Forgot to mention two upper bushings also went bad, they did offer to replace those but said I overtightened them. Convenient since their directions don't provide any torque specs.

Needless to say the $700 kit is now rusting in the bed of my truck, being used as winter weahter weight. Very dissapointing, salt in the wound is their customer service.

Depending on the application you can replace them with Moog F150 joints though.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Well I guess I was lead astray buy their customer service. I'll still give them a call on Monday and have a chat about it.

After blowing out my factory balljoints with the Belltech spindles, I figured i'ed just go with these thinking they had corrected the problem.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Launching!

wow..there products look good and i liked the idea of just changing the upper and lower A arms in order to somewhat keep the factory ride...let me know how this goes...before i go out and but them...still looking for a good 4-6drop 08 silverado while trying to keep a decent ride..i know that asking for too much on a dropped truck as i already have one in the garage
Old 01-03-2010, 06:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I havent had any issues with my djm 4 arms and i have had them since maybe 2002 or 03. The uppers were a waste of money though.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Ok, you got me thinking and I don't want to steer you wrong. I called DJM this morning and this is what I learned (NNBS ONLY):

1) They are still using the off-brand ball joints, both new and replacement so I asked for the MOOG part #'s. The 2007+ uppers are MOOG 6124 (71-72 C10) and the lowers are MOOG 6541 (00-06 Suburban). Before you run out and buy the lowers, check with DJM, they are using 2 different ones, mine are the earlier style.

2) You need to use the camber lock plates, my kit did not come with these and lost it's alignment/chewed my tires. Newer kits have them.

3) DO NOT torque the upper arms to factory specs (140ft lbs), this will ruin your bushings and cause alignment problems.

Of course it occured to me that all of this information would have been great BEFORE I installed my kit. Esentially the camber lock plates would have prevented the destruction of my bushings, balll joints and all around bad experience. We had to really torque down on the upper arm bolts to hold the factory alignment cams in place, this caused the mount to distort over time and chew the bushing which in turn loosened the cams and destroyed the ball joints. Now I'm just going to replace the bushings and joints and sell the arms.

Quick Reply: DJM is still using junk balljoints? damn it