Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

DJM is still using junk balljoints? damn it

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO I would stay away from DJM, I have heard pretty shity reviews on alot of there stuff, this is another thread i heard of shitty ball joints with them,..
Old 01-04-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

DJM lower control arms on for couple years now. No problems.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 brand new Napa ball joints for sale that will fit the DJM lower control arms as long as they are the press-in fit type ball joints.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=454584
Old 01-04-2010, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Leevon
Ok, you got me thinking and I don't want to steer you wrong. I called DJM this morning and this is what I learned (NNBS ONLY):

1) They are still using the off-brand ball joints, both new and replacement so I asked for the MOOG part #'s. The 2007+ uppers are MOOG 6124 (71-72 C10) and the lowers are MOOG 6541 (00-06 Suburban). Before you run out and buy the lowers, check with DJM, they are using 2 different ones, mine are the earlier style.

2) You need to use the camber lock plates, my kit did not come with these and lost it's alignment/chewed my tires. Newer kits have them.

3) DO NOT torque the upper arms to factory specs (140ft lbs), this will ruin your bushings and cause alignment problems.

Of course it occured to me that all of this information would have been great BEFORE I installed my kit. Esentially the camber lock plates would have prevented the destruction of my bushings, balll joints and all around bad experience. We had to really torque down on the upper arm bolts to hold the factory alignment cams in place, this caused the mount to distort over time and chew the bushing which in turn loosened the cams and destroyed the ball joints. Now I'm just going to replace the bushings and joints and sell the arms.
Thanks for the info! My kit did come with the lock plates. I think DJM is flat out lying to us about the ball joints. My instructions claim MOOG balljoints are used. As you can see from the pic it is infact not a moog K6541.

Im gonna grab a set from napa since my work has an account with them.

I like the DJM stuff myself. I just hate those **** balljoints.

thanks,
Old 01-04-2010, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by illMATTic
Thanks for the info! My kit did come with the lock plates. I think DJM is flat out lying to us about the ball joints. My instructions claim MOOG balljoints are used. As you can see from the pic it is infact not a moog K6541.

Im gonna grab a set from napa since my work has an account with them.

I like the DJM stuff myself. I just hate those **** balljoints.

thanks,
sounds like a plan, but $250 worth of ball joints on a new set of arms is like a kick in the nuts while you're sleeping! let us know how it all turns out. I personally think with the lock out plates and moog ball joints you'll have no issues.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Interesting. I have ran my DJM arms for a over a year and no alignment or balljoint issues that I know of. Keep us posted on what balljoints you go with.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:00 AM
Launching!

well i thought the arms would of been a good idea to keep the ride close to factory..but this has too many bad stories on DJM Arms....

2in spindle and and adjustable struts from Belltech sounds like the way to go for now
Old 01-07-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my DJM stuff. No problems yet.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

i think they have a quality product. The balljoints are abviously purchased from an outside source and are the root of all the problems.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

It's this damm chinese crap these cheap bastards keep using and selling to us a a price that should allow them to use OEM parts on their control arms. I'm getting so sick and damm tired of problems related to this chinese built crap all of the suppliers keep trying to push on us at high prices. You would the the warranty return rate would eat them alive and make them use better parts. I had the same blasted problem on my truck with the ball joints after a year. I just went back to gm arms and a Mccaugheys kit with spindles only.

Quick Reply: DJM is still using junk balljoints? damn it