Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Did 4L80E swap (bad noises need help!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did 4L80E swap (bad noises need help!)

Guys did a 4L80E conversion on my 04 GMC Z71 and need some help. Got everything bolted up today and I'm getting some bad noises. Everything seemed fine until the truck idled for a few minutes. I added fluid and fired her up initially with no strange noises. After a couple minutes I put it in gear and the RPMs dipped and the speedo went up to 20 MPH so I know the pump is working ok (no driveshafts). Put it back in park and a minute or two later started getting this noise. I shut it down and pulled the inspection cover to make sure the converter bolts were still tight. They still seem to be tight. I restarted the truck and the sound was gone but it returned again about 2-3 minutes if idling. This is a vigilante 10.5" converter made for the LS1 style flexplate so I kept my stock 5.3 flexplate. I did shim this converter with washers since it seemed pretty far from the flexplate. I've got at least 1/8" of clearance with the washers now. I wonder if I should take those out? I'm also wondering if I might have got a bum converter from Vigilante?

You guys have any thoughts on this noise? (videos below) Thanks for any input!

Old 10-07-2012, 06:19 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you fill the converter before installing it? How much fluid did you put in the trans before starting it?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Yes, I had 3 quarts in the converter and I had added 7 quarts to the trans before I started it up. Good level on the dipstick.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure sounds like a loose bolt or one that is rubbing the back of the block. I would also look to make sure that the starter is not rubbing the ring gear as it spins.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:58 PM
Teching In

Vince,

Good call on the starter. I'm going to try and get back under the thing tomorrow and do a better job of looking around. I'll definitely check that out. I was pretty beat today after rolling around under the truck all weekend and felt pretty defeated when I heard the racket that I didn't do much investigation.

You think the washers are needed? Do you have a rule of thumb on how much allowable clearance there should be between the flexplate and converter mounting pads?

Thanks for your comments!
Old 10-08-2012, 02:51 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

My thought was a bolt too. Flexplate to converter clearance should be 3/16"
Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the comments guys. I looked over everything again tonight and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. The starter has plenty of room and the converter bolts are all tight. I started the truck again tonight and ran for 5-6 minutes and never heard the noise again. I spoke with Vigilante this morning on the phone and they seem to think this is normal clutch chatter for the triple disk. A coworker of mine had one of these on a Trailblazer SS and mentioned having some chatter from his as well.

Anyone else with a 10.5" triple disk that has had any chatter like this? Vigilante has about got me convinced that this is normal under certain light load conditions. I hadn't heard of this until now.

I took measurements tonight for new front and rear driveshafts. I'm going to leave this thing alone for now until I can get my driveshafts bolted in for a road test.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 AM

Yes I have heard some noise with these converters on the dyno until we would cycle the TCC a few times. I would not say that after a test drive if the thing is still making noise that this is normal. Keep us updated.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Also make sure the head of the converter bolts aren't hitting the rear cam cover on the motor.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Teching In

I should have the driveshafts on monday so I'll see how things sound after a road test. Might get on the highway and lock/unlock the converter a few times. If there is something wrong with this converter, I sure hope it doesn't trash this fresh transmission!

Quick Reply: Did 4L80E swap (bad noises need help!)