Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Corvette Servo Install W ALOT of pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wasnt really an issue. the next day i drove it, i drove it like i would any other day and the shifts were all good
Old 09-20-2011, 10:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see some folks using this thread for some info! Good job fellas.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Launching!

I have a feeling mine is going to be a pain in the ***, I have a head shield and a exhaust pipe right in my way of mine.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Rhino79
Glad to see some folks using this thread for some info! Good job fellas.
I've viewed this thread at least a dozen times (and have all the parts for well over a year) and am still skeered to do this mod.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:18 PM
9 Second Club

This is actually one of the easiest mods to do. Just be sure to prelube the seals/o-rings and it's a piece of cake.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bought mine to install this looks really easy
Old 10-15-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rel3rd
I've viewed this thread at least a dozen times (and have all the parts for well over a year) and am still skeered to do this mod.
I've done this on my truck, super easy. No reason to be scurrd
Old 10-22-2011, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

Talking

20 to 30 min tops
I wasn't so lucky. I got my butt kicked...a little.
I got a little (lot) pissed when I could not get my old servo out due to lack of clearance.
A BFH helped solve that issue, lol.
I did finally win, but not until I was ready to do this->

Originally Posted by Yukon04
I have a feeling mine is going to be a pain in the ***, I have a head shield and a exhaust pipe right in my way of mine.
FWIW, the heat shield was the least of my troubles. My infamous Ebay headers have the one fake cat/resonator right there where I needed it NOT to be, lol.

This is actually one of the easiest mods to do. Just be sure to prelube the seals/o-rings and it's a piece of cake.
Originally Posted by Steve-O-08
I've done this on my truck, super easy. No reason to be scurrd
Cliff Notes at bottom of this reply, lol.

First off...BIG THANKS AGAIN to Rhino79 for the excellent write-up and detailed pics. I made sure all the pics were downloaded then placed my laptop on the workbench right next to where I was working. Just scrolled down as I did it...worked great.

My truck is an 02 Z71 (lowered) and I was working on the ground, or as some call it, "flatbacking", lol. Had to jack up truck for belly room...

Now, for the issues I had.
First issue:
Had to remove the heat shield, which was no biggie.
Got the servo cover off easily, then...
No matter how I turned, twisted, tugged, the servo wouldn't/couldn't clear the exhaust and more importantly, the extra support piece that is spot welded right next to the servo cover, on the transmission tunnel, near the frame.
I considered a few options but ended up "clearancing" that bracket/brace just enough to remove the old servo. That was the fastest, probably easiest thing to do since I was already past the point of no return.

Swapping the parts over and prepping the new parts was, or at least should have been alot easier. My servo rod, or pin, would not come out of the old servo because it was peened over slightly. A few minutes with some sandpaper remedied that.

I kept thinking about the spring that goes back in before the new servo assembly. Well, since the exhaust resonator is right there, I was working blindly, by feel. Not to mention, for whatever reason the clearance job I did for removal, wasn't enough for re-install. The story of my life...

It took me about an hour or so to both clearance the tunnel, and get the new servo in without the damn spring falling out, but once I finally took a 5 minute breather, all was good and smooth sailing.

Overall, it took me 2 hours, but that included getting the tools out and under the truck, running a droplight to the truck, draining the tranny fluid, refilling it, and quick test drive...Not bad, considering.

I have had the parts since December 2009, LOL...bought them from member here, Tootall, and now that I mention it, he never gave me positive feedback for the transaction, LOL...

I'm still at work so I can't drive on-site at WOT, but everything but WOT seems to do exactly what is promised...My transmission tune is basically stock pressures at low rpm's, but higher at higher rpm's, so I may have to change that from what Rhino79 said, but we'll find out soon enough...

Cliff Notes:
Worthwhile, easy mod
If 4WD you may or may not have the extra sheetmetal right in your way, like mine was.
If you have the old style Ebay longtubes, the right side resonator WILL be in your way.
Cleanliness is important since you're dealing with a transmission.
Enjoy the firm upshifts.

Last edited by rel3rd; 10-22-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:08 AM
9 Second Club

Very nice notes, I did still have the stock manifolds at the time of the write up!
Old 10-23-2011, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks! Very helpful, installed mine today.

Quick Reply: Corvette Servo Install W ALOT of pics