Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

correct 2/4

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default correct 2/4

Im struggles which one I not sure on hangers and shackles look for 4" lower in the rear. I draw on the picture. Check this http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...=11004_450.jpg

The holes on hangers at top is 4" and the shackles hole at top also? Before I install it. But Im figure out how to remove the rivets. The gas tank kinda block some way. I afraid if I drop the tank will mess up my fuel gauge? Let me know. Since I got all kits from Mc Grauphty.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The McGaughy's kit is a great kit, the shackles and hangers give you the option of multiple ride heights. The rivets that attach the stock hanger to the frame will need to come out and there are a couple of different ways to get them out. You can grind the heads off and hammer on the stock hanger till it falls off and then use a punch to knock the rivets out of the frame, this is what I did and yes it was lots of grinding, but it works. Or you can use an air powered impact chisel with a long shank to get in there and do it, it may take a while but overall its less sparks and metal shavings, you will still have to knock the rivets out of the frame with a punch or your air chisel. Either way it will be long and tedious and loud, your neighbors will hate you. Either way you will most definitely have to move the gas tank out of the way to accomplish the task on the drivers side, so I would suggest running the tank down as low as you can before starting this project. I'm sure you wont mess up the the fuel gauge. Just undo the screws that secure the filler neck and support the tank with a jack, then unbolt the tank and simply slide it inward (towards the driveshaft) out of the way, you should be able to get it to slide a few inches over without a problem, no disconnecting of the fuel lines or gauges needed. When bolting on the hangers the bolt head that pins the leaf spring will end up being between the new hanger and the frame, so make sure you have the leaf spring in the hole that you want before you bolt the hanger to the frame. Just remember the higher up on the frame you mount the leafs the lower your truck will be. The lowest it will lower the rear is 4 inches, unless you want a little rake mount it in the top hole, mount the leaf spring in the top hole of the shackle as well, and if you find that you would like the back to sit a little higher you can always move the leaf spring down one hole in the shackle to gain about an inch of ride height. Good luck on the instal and post lots of pics when its done!
Old 05-02-2009, 07:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man!!! Let me tell you if you have access to a torch or plasma cutter that will be you best bet ...But a air chisel will work but loud and just a hammer and chisel you will need about 4 weeks to complete. When I did mine I cut and ground the first hanger for about 2 hours then I took it to a buddys house he had a plasma cutter it took 2 hours to finish the job and I was on the road....and we did not drop the tank.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:53 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Ill never do another shackle/hanger setup without pulling the bed... Its much easier just to pull it and get it out of the way rather than laying under fighting it. Pulling the bed is much easier than dropping the tank to begin with.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 006rcsb
The McGaughy's kit is a great kit, the shackles and hangers give you the option of multiple ride heights. The rivets that attach the stock hanger to the frame will need to come out and there are a couple of different ways to get them out. You can grind the heads off and hammer on the stock hanger till it falls off and then use a punch to knock the rivets out of the frame, this is what I did and yes it was lots of grinding, but it works. Or you can use an air powered impact chisel with a long shank to get in there and do it, it may take a while but overall its less sparks and metal shavings, you will still have to knock the rivets out of the frame with a punch or your air chisel. Either way it will be long and tedious and loud, your neighbors will hate you. Either way you will most definitely have to move the gas tank out of the way to accomplish the task on the drivers side, so I would suggest running the tank down as low as you can before starting this project. I'm sure you wont mess up the the fuel gauge. Just undo the screws that secure the filler neck and support the tank with a jack, then unbolt the tank and simply slide it inward (towards the driveshaft) out of the way, you should be able to get it to slide a few inches over without a problem, no disconnecting of the fuel lines or gauges needed. When bolting on the hangers the bolt head that pins the leaf spring will end up being between the new hanger and the frame, so make sure you have the leaf spring in the hole that you want before you bolt the hanger to the frame. Just remember the higher up on the frame you mount the leafs the lower your truck will be. The lowest it will lower the rear is 4 inches, unless you want a little rake mount it in the top hole, mount the leaf spring in the top hole of the shackle as well, and if you find that you would like the back to sit a little higher you can always move the leaf spring down one hole in the shackle to gain about an inch of ride height. Good luck on the instal and post lots of pics when its done!
Thank you very much for all info.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1andOnly
Man!!! Let me tell you if you have access to a torch or plasma cutter that will be you best bet ...But a air chisel will work but loud and just a hammer and chisel you will need about 4 weeks to complete. When I did mine I cut and ground the first hanger for about 2 hours then I took it to a buddys house he had a plasma cutter it took 2 hours to finish the job and I was on the road....and we did not drop the tank.
I could do grind and hammer it off. But how you do that put bolts in while the tank is on?
Old 05-02-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Ill never do another shackle/hanger setup without pulling the bed... Its much easier just to pull it and get it out of the way rather than laying under fighting it. Pulling the bed is much easier than dropping the tank to begin with.
I gave up on my shackle install. Couldn't get the damn bolts out (presumably rusted in) and because of the space restrictions to the bed couldn't do what I wanted. Abandoned and will wait for another time when the bed is off.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best to do it on a lift. You need a grinder (preferably air powered so it doesnt bog) and an air chisel. Drop the tank so you can get the bolts in. I dont see how you can get the bolts in without it because when you go to tighten it, how are you going to hold the other end? Just make it easy on yourself.

The whole job I think took my dad and I about 3 hrs at his shop.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Allright. I will post yall after I install done and will be up with all pictures soon.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

006rcsb- Wonder if you could show me your picture of hanger that you mount it. Cause I see my oem hangers have 6 rivets need to remove. Then the McGrauphy with 4 holes. Not sure which one to mount bottom or top because the frame show 6. My truck is 2006 though. I read my paper direction and it not show.

Quick Reply: correct 2/4