Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

AWD front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:33 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AWD front end noise

just got back from a trip to Arkansas from Maryland and back. on my way back i came to a rest stop, and when i turned hard the whole truck vibed real bad. like if it had a locker in the front end. at first i thought it was my detroit in the rear but you could feel it in the front. also when i get on it there is a loud pop noise from the front.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a little weird unless something let loose in the front. What t-case are you using. The center diff or viscus clutch could have locked or seized causing a 4x4 feeling.

Dont know, just bouncing some ideas.

My front diff just let loose but it only howled really bad, enough to give me a headache.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:33 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Maybe one of the carrier bearings took a dump and the front diff is moving around? Or the pinion nut loosened up?
Old 04-14-2009, 11:16 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen alot of front diff. carrier bearing adjuster lock-tabs break off, and allow the bearing adjuster to back off. Causes catastrophic damage in the front diff. If you noticed the problem before the front diff. eats itself apart, you have saved yourself alot of money. To me, it's worth dropping the front diff. to check it out.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Check the CV's and axles first, before you spend the time dropping the front diff. Also you can pull the front DS off and rotate the diff by hand. You should be able the feel/hear if it's taking a dump on you.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:16 AM
12 Second Truck Club

its the nv149 case. i took the borg warner case out. i think the front was going before the case swap. but it never made this noise. after it cooled off the noise isn't there but there is a slit whine while turning sharp. i'm going to drain the fluid and check it out. the pop noise while wot worries me. use to with the old case it would just go striaght to red line when it did this. but now it keeps going.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:49 PM
12 Second Truck Club

where is a good place to get a rebuild kit? or do i need a full kit? i need to read my book and see how this diff works i guess. how would a person know if it was the cv's?

Last edited by 4.8T; 04-16-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:04 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need to pull it out and assess the damage before you order parts. If it is what it sounds like to me, then you'll save money buying a used diff.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
You need to pull it out and assess the damage before you order parts. If it is what it sounds like to me, then you'll save money buying a used diff.
thats what i did, it was worth the money not wasting time and having down time on the truck just to buy a used one. now i have a back-up diff just in case and am planning on rebuilding it in spare time

i spent 600 on mine from a member here
Old 04-17-2009, 11:15 AM
12 Second Truck Club

well i'm making sure its the problem before i buy anything this time. i spent around a grand replacing my lifters and it wasn't the problem at all. i'm wondering if it wasn't the viscous coupler driving the front too much. if it gets heated up it will cause this. also i wonder if the loud pop i hear is not just a inner cv joint. it only does it under boost. if i brake stall it, when it rolls into boost it will pop real loud.

Quick Reply: AWD front end noise