Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

AWD front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 01:05 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i drained the fluid. no chunks but the plug looked like a porcupine. there were no hard pieces just squishy fuss. i took pics.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced my front diff with the one i bought and my original drain plug looked the same way, my front diff was screwed, it howled like crazy. if you turned my input of the front diff it was difficult to turn and wound bind at points, im spliting the case next week. the new one spun really easy and would keep going if spun quickly

the viscus clutch could cause problems to when they get hot, mine tend to act weird when i really put some load through it
Old 04-18-2009, 12:47 PM
12 Second Truck Club

it may be 2wd time for awhile if this thing is toast. i need to figure out my scrapping noise. its not constant per say. but it constantly happens. like ssccrrrrr quiet ssccrrr ssscccrrr quiet ssscccrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. hard to describe but over time easy to hear. it use to do it bad after a real hard run at the track. now its kinda all the time.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:25 PM
12 Second Truck Club

ok so the sound seems to have a constant speed. it you can hear it in drive or neutral as long as your moving. when you come to a stop so does it. brake stalling does not make the sound either. its not a screech more of a dust shield on a rotor noise i guess. its been there awhile just keeps getting worse. at first i thought it was the shield on the rotor. then i thought it was my egt probe scratching my fire wall. i "adjusted" both and it didn't fix it. it almost sounds like bad wind noise. but wind noise doesn't come at 1mph. some time it comes with mild bumps in the road too. like if there was a up down up down wave in the road the noise would come go come go. but it a rotating noise not a bad shock noise.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:16 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by 4.8T
well i drained the fluid. no chunks but the plug looked like a porcupine. there were no hard pieces just squishy fuss. i took pics.

My drain plug looked alot worse than that when I last changed the fluid, and the front diff has been howling. I have to swap mine out with a used one and open the original up and see what happened...gotta concentrate on swapping the trans first so I can get it back on the road.

Does the scraping noise go away or change when you hit the brakes? I had a constant squeal that sounded like a brake wear sensor that turned out to be the rotor rubbing against the pad. The factory rotors were rusted all to hell, second factory set I had that rusted away like that (had 1 set of rotors replaced under warranty)
Old 04-18-2009, 10:32 PM
12 Second Truck Club

no the noise is there even while hitting the brakes. as long as its moving. like i said its not a constant noise. like you can drive a mile with no noise at all then hit a bump in the road and you will hear it. but it can't be like a crack in the road or sudden bump like that. those don't do much. but the bumps that make the truck sorta sway up and down do make the noise louder. like a wavy bridge would make the sound come and go reall good.

if i get time tomorrow i'm going to pull the front drive shaft and drive axles. then i'll take it for a short easy drive and see what it does. the nv-149 should be ok as long as i don't drive to hard or long.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:22 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The front axle and nut hold your front wheel bearings together. I would advise against any driving with the front axle not in place.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:54 AM
12 Second Truck Club

well any suggestions on how to diagnose this? i'm all ears. i don't have the money at the moment to rebuild the front end if it is the issue. this thing is my daily driver also. if it is the front end i'm going to get a set of spindle center from a 2wd out of a junk yard. but i wanna make sure it is before i do all this.

it seems AWD is only cool when it works lol.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:56 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it's been making noise like this for a while, and you've been driving it, and it's getting worse, you've probably already caused some serious internal damage. Save up for a used front diff with the correct gear ratio. Try to get one before your front diff seizes. No way around it, sorry.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:37 PM
12 Second Truck Club

i think i'm going to pull it this week. and take it apart. just have to go back to using my car. to bad they don't make cool cars that seat 6 anymore.

Quick Reply: AWD front end noise