Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Anyway to street drive in 4WD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyway to street drive in 4WD?

Is there any solution to the front diff, say a locking diff, LSD that could fit into the front diff to make this possible? Assuming thats the only thing needed to make this work?

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:45 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well man thats where AWD comes into play,

Or you can just use the 2hi 4 hi button a lot.

But also maybe that cable actuated front hub locking device might be what your looking for. Summit sells it, i forget what its called.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

Dang i just read an article and its more complucated than i initially thought lol, AWD cars have wheelhop issues with high HP im guessing due to the power distribution or something, i kind of like 4wd but thats what im doing now using the 2hi and 4hi button alot or leave in auto4wd but its quite annoying lol
Old 01-29-2012, 07:59 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Originally Posted by ayousef
Dang i just read an article and its more complucated than i initially thought lol, AWD cars have wheelhop issues with high HP im guessing due to the power distribution or something, i kind of like 4wd but thats what im doing now using the 2hi and 4hi button alot or leave in auto4wd but its quite annoying lol
Get an NVG 149 AWD Tcase from a sierra denali or silvy SS

They launch real nice , no wheel hop.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ayousef
If I am predicting racing someone from a dig I will put it in 4WD as long as I know I will only be going in a straight line, 4WD on dry pavement and trying to turn is not good on any of the moving parts. Usually launch on 4WD and get a few car lengths on them then let off and switch back to 2WD.

I would also be leery of launching in auto4WD, that's a lot of instant torque your truck is trying to figure out what is best to do with since it keeps it in 2WD till traction is an issue...
Old 01-29-2012, 08:06 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Originally Posted by ak2007r6
If I am predicting racing someone from a dig I will put it in 4WD as long as I know I will only be going in a straight line, 4WD on dry pavement and trying to turn is not good on any of the moving parts. Usually launch on 4WD and get a few car lengths on them then let off and switch back to 2WD.

I would also be leery of launching in auto4WD, that's a lot of instant torque your truck is trying to figure out what is best to do with since it keeps it in 2WD till traction is an issue...
Good advice cept for switching back to 2hi, Ask stock48, i believe he broke his Tcase switching back to 2 hi during the run, i leave mine in 4hi the whole race street or track, then when you get to safer lower speed with no throttle i switch back, works for me
Old 01-29-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Good advice cept for switching back to 2hi, Ask stock48, i believe he broke his Tcase switching back to 2 hi during the run, i leave mine in 4hi the whole race street or track, then when you get to safer lower speed with no throttle i switch back, works for me

That's exactly what I do and havnt had a prob yet.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

You know the AWD transfer case is just a stripped down 4wd transfer case with a viscous coupling in it, IE a great big fan clutch. It allows a difference in the front and rear output shaft speeds when you turn so you don't crow hop but if you shock it with a big load it acts like a solid link. Pretty simple setup really. I wouldn't use auto 4wd for anything except maybe for nothing. Its a really good way to smoke your clutches if you are into that kind of thing. The NV 246 is designed to be shifted on the fly but I still wouldn't do it under a full load. Same story on the NV 263 in the HD trucks.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Three6GMC
That's exactly what I do and havnt had a prob yet.
Yea I should have mentioned I am off the gas and coasting when I switch back to 2WD on the streets. I will leave it in 4WD till the race is over.

I have switched it back at the track a few times at WOT right after the 1-2 shift and it was smooth as butter but think I will go back to just leaving it in 4WD all the way down now. I was just trying to reduce loosing as much MPH as I could since leaving in in 4WD will hurt ya a little on the top end.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

huh, interesting, I've heard of a lot of people switching out after the shift and no problems, even under power... this is the first I've heard of it, I'll have to search around for that.
Either way though, neither of my trucks will allow me to switch out while moving... even if I wanted to. not sure what is up with my Autotrac...

Quick Reply: Anyway to street drive in 4WD?