Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Another Steering shaft thread.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Another Steering shaft thread.

Took the shaft off a little bit ago.
So what end is supposed to be the "problem" end?
The lower shaft that connects to the steering box is just a hollow tube with a small u-joint on it.
The upper shaft that goes into the rubber boot cover on the firewall does not come out, at least I don't know how to get it out.
The upper shaft has a small u shaped clip in it, that I guess is supposed to keep the grease from gooping out of it.
What does the grease even do??
This shaft is connected to the steering wheel solidly from what I can tell. Filled it with moly grease anyways, put the clip back in.
I could see needing to re-grease it if it were a spline type shaft, but I don't think it is.
I took the lower shaft and filled it with some silicone caulk till it came out both ends. Hopefully this will act as a damper of sorts and keep some of the shitty feeling steering inputs out of the steering wheel.
Any feedback anyone??
Anyone see what is what or have a manual that shows these parts better?
Old 07-05-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Lightbulb

There are two pieces to the shaft. They are splined. The two splined shafts move in and out under normal driving conditions and stop and go action (frame flex).
After long or short time ,the splines go dry, then the steering clunk and pop begins. If it goes like that for a long period of time dry, they will need to be replaced due to accessive wear of the splines.
Basically you need to pull them apart. GM has a specific grease kit for the steering shafts you are recommended to use. It come with directions. When pulled apart, you apply a thin film of grease on the splines by hand, then you must plug one the ends with a rubber stopper supplied in the kit. The seringe that has the grease in it is used to force the grease into the other end.
The directions tell you specific ways to do this depending on which GM vehicle you are doing this to.
After this is done reinstall the shaft, and the pop and clunk is eliminated.
Depending on how well you follow the directions will give better longer results.
I did this to my 01' Chevy Impala, and have yet had anymore problems from the steering shaft noises or clunks.
Just buy the grease kit. I haggled my local GM parts department down on the price of the kit. It was sold to me for $10 plus tax.
Good luck.
FYI: The shafts do come out. They are not solidly mounted to the column shaft.
Jim
Old 07-05-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
There are two pieces to the shaft. They are splined. The two splined shafts move in and out under normal driving conditions and stop and go action (frame flex).
After long or short time ,the splines go dry, then the steering clunk and pop begins. If it goes like that for a long period of time dry, they will need to be replaced due to accessive wear of the splines.
Basically you need to pull them apart. GM has a specific grease kit for the steering shafts you are recommended to use. It come with directions. When pulled apart, you apply a thin film of grease on the splines by hand, then you must plug one the ends with a rubber stopper supplied in the kit. The seringe that has the grease in it is used to force the grease into the other end.
The directions tell you specific ways to do this depending on which GM vehicle you are doing this to.
After this is done reinstall the shaft, and the pop and clunk is eliminated.
Depending on how well you follow the directions will give better longer results.
I did this to my 01' Chevy Impala, and have yet had anymore problems from the steering shaft noises or clunks.
Just buy the grease kit. I haggled my local GM parts department down on the price of the kit. It was sold to me for $10 plus tax.
Good luck.
FYI: The shafts do come out. They are not solidly mounted to the column shaft.
Jim
Thanks man, I knew there had to be a way to get them apart. Even GM would not make a one peice shaft!!
Old 07-05-2006, 09:57 PM
CNE
Staging Lane

There is a 15mm bolt outside the firewall about halfway down the shaft you saw, then on the inside there is another 15mm bolt at the base of the column. GM instructions are to remove both bolts, pull the shaft out from the inside, then remove the little clip inside the underhood end of the shaft. Make sure this clip goes back in to prevent the shaft from collapsing when you tighten the bolt. Now here's the skinny on how to do this in 5 minutes. Only remove the bolt under the hood and pull that end of the shaft loose from the short shaft going to the gear, remove the clip, pull the shaft to extend it before shooting the grease in, put in the grease and stopper, then push the shaft in by hand until it stops. Take a big prybar and catch it on something (I use the bottom half or short shaft for leverage or the rear heat shield bolt on the exhaust manifold) and pry the upper half up towards the firewall until it stops, it should travel at least an inch. Then pull back down by hand and remove the stopper, reinstall the clip and put the shaft back together. I do these weekly at the dealer and have never had one come back.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CNE
Now here's the skinny on how to do this in 5 minutes. Only remove the bolt under the hood and pull that end of the shaft loose from the short shaft going to the gear, remove the clip, pull the shaft to extend it before shooting the grease in, put in the grease and stopper, then push the shaft in by hand until it stops. Take a big prybar and catch it on something (I use the bottom half or short shaft for leverage or the rear heat shield bolt on the exhaust manifold) and pry the upper half up towards the firewall until it stops, it should travel at least an inch. Then pull back down by hand and remove the stopper, reinstall the clip and put the shaft back together. I do these weekly at the dealer and have never had one come back.
I did everything you said up until the prying part.
Are you just seating the shaft in the firewall better so you lose the loose feel through the steering wheel? If so I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
Thanks for posting up man.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Thread got moved with no notice of where it was moved...please put link into general section where I first started the thread so anyone who read or replied can stay on topic with me.
Thanks mods.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

This is good info. I will need to do mine soon. I just started getting that steering clunk that you are describing. I believe there was a thread about a month ago that gave the part number of the kit. He also said to use wheel bearing grease I believe.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

Here ya go....

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...steering+clunk
Old 07-06-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

I read the linked thread and am not clear on something. I was under the impression you only grease the slip joint in the engine bay; is this correct or do you grease a slip joint under the dash?
Old 07-06-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RU55ELL
This is good info. I will need to do mine soon. I just started getting that steering clunk that you are describing. I believe there was a thread about a month ago that gave the part number of the kit. He also said to use wheel bearing grease I believe.
No wheel bearing grease. Use the GM grease kit available from your local GM parts department. It is a synthetic type grease or clearish moly type lithium grease. Wheel bearing grease is to thick to really do or get where the grease really need to be in the intermediate steering shafts.

Jim

Quick Reply: Another Steering shaft thread.