Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

5 Speed guys ever do the drill mod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zebra86
just pulled it off today while the engine's out. the fluid reservoir sits directly on the m/c & it's a plastic line that goes from the m/c to almost the bottom of the firewall. then there's a coupler that connects it to braided line that goes the rest of the way down to the slave. i saw the parts-counter schematics that showed it's two pieces, but the thing is that that plastic line it heat-fitted to the braided line when it's assembled, so it ain't coming apart (that i know of).

would a full braided line from a 4th gen z28 work? i know the slaves are the same & i think the m/c are too.
Ooooh, ok. Guess I'm not remembering correctly. It has been a while since I've taken a look at mine in detail. I don't see why a braided line from a 4th gen won't work as long as the length is there. Check out the T56 swap thread, cause I know they got info on what parts to use there, and obviously they'll work in this case as well. You may not be able to just buy the braided line as it may come with the M/C. In that case, I'd just check out some local junk yards and take it off yourself.

Originally Posted by RED04REGENCYRST
the restriction your lookin for is where the braided line connects to the slave. youll have to knock out the roll pin and then the braided line will seperate from the slave. that is the end where you would perform the drill mod.
I'm not so sure, man. Everything I've read about it, including the write-up on that LS1 Install University or LS1Howto page says the restriction is up at the junction to the M/C. And as zebra86 said, there's a quick disconnect at the slave. The roll pin connection is up at the M/C.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PathfinderJr
I'm not so sure, man. Everything I've read about it, including the write-up on that LS1 Install University or LS1Howto page says the restriction is up at the junction to the M/C. And as zebra86 said, there's a quick disconnect at the slave. The roll pin connection is up at the M/C.
the truck slave and the f-body slave are setup reverse of each other. with the f-body slave you have the quick connect at the slave. with the trucks with the 5-speed you have the quick connect at the output of the master. the restriction is in the end of the braided line that does not have a quick connect fitting. i did this to my setup. i was a 5-speed and then converted to the t-56. i am still using the truck master and truck slave. i pulled the roll pin out of the slave to disconnect the braided line from the slave and performed the drill mod on that end. there was a restriction about 1/2" in and then another about 1" in.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the truck slave and the f-body slave are setup reverse of each other. with the f-body slave you have the quick connect at the slave. with the trucks with the 5-speed you have the quick connect at the output of the master.
I did not know that. Thanks for the info. Learn something new everyday haha.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Just curious, has anybody ever looked into trying to modify the NV3500? It seems like every one just does the T56 swap, which is understandable, but if you could get better synchro's and replace other short comings on this tranny it seems like it would be a good tranny! And probably cheaper than a T56 swap. Just my 2 cents......
Old 07-24-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dunno about it being a good tranny haha. I don't like the gear ratios for one thing. Second to third just blows chunks. And I'd love to be able to cruise down the interstate at like 1700-1800 with some fun gears in back as opposed to my 2200-2300 with just 3.73's. T56 double overdrive ftw.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

i have 4.88 gears and at 80 mph in 6th im at roughly 2000rpms. first and second are mean as hell. i have to get a vid of the truck from a stop soon.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:43 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

are you runnin a f-body slave? did you change out you braided line?
they're the same with my truck. i'm thinking about trying an f-body line, assuming i can find one for cheap

...I don't see why a braided line from a 4th gen won't work as long as the length is there. Check out the T56 swap thread, cause I know they got info on what parts to use there, and obviously they'll work in this case as well. You may not be able to just buy the braided line as it may come with the M/C. In that case, I'd just check out some local junk yards and take it off yourself...
that's the plan. the stealership won't sell one without the m/c

...I'm not so sure, man. Everything I've read about it, including the write-up on that LS1 Install University or LS1Howto page says the restriction is up at the junction to the M/C. And as zebra86 said, there's a quick disconnect at the slave. The roll pin connection is up at the M/C.
this is how it is on my truck - roll pin at m/c to plastic line to braided line to quick-connect to slave cylinder. there is a roll pin at the slave, but it goes to a quick-connect fitting where the line attaches
fbody uses the same setup except the whole line is braided

the truck slave and the f-body slave are setup reverse of each other. with the f-body slave you have the quick connect at the slave. with the trucks with the 5-speed you have the quick connect at the output of the master. the restriction is in the end of the braided line that does not have a quick connect fitting. i did this to my setup. i was a 5-speed and then converted to the t-56. i am still using the truck master and truck slave. i pulled the roll pin out of the slave to disconnect the braided line from the slave and performed the drill mod on that end. there was a restriction about 1/2" in and then another about 1" in.
so apparently GM designers decided to really screw with everybody & create two different versions because, like the pic above shows, that's at least how a 99 nv3500 clutch line works

I dunno about it being a good tranny haha. I don't like the gear ratios for one thing. Second to third just blows chunks. And I'd love to be able to cruise down the interstate at like 1700-1800 with some fun gears in back as opposed to my 2200-2300 with just 3.73's. T56 double overdrive ftw.
2200rpm on the highway?! what size tires are you running - 215/75-16s? (or comparable 28.7" tall tire)
that's what the math works out to @ 70mph

i have 4.88 gears and at 80 mph in 6th im at roughly 2000rpms. first and second are mean as hell. i have to get a vid of the truck from a stop soon.
are those 4.88s in a 10 bolt or 14 bolt?
Old 07-24-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

so apparently GM designers decided to really screw with everybody & create two different versions because, like the pic above shows, that's at least how a 99 nv3500 clutch line works
yea it looks like before 03 the trucks may have been running a f-body slave. but after 03 they are set up like i was talking about.

are those 4.88s in a 10 bolt or 14 bolt?
i have the 10 bolt rear end.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

2200rpm on the highway?! what size tires are you running - 215/75-16s? (or comparable 28.7" tall tire)
that's what the math works out to @ 70mph
my bad, I must have been remembering what rpm is at 75mph. 275/60/17 tires (30"), 75mph, and .73 final gear for the nv3500. It equates out to roughly 2300rpm.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

my 2000 had a roll pin at the master...its was a 5 speed before...heres the slave...

I dont know if thats a quick coupler like you guys are talking about(maybe use a special tool to release it) but I just knocked out the roll pin to switch it...actually come to think of it I cant really remember its been soo long

Quick Reply: 5 Speed guys ever do the drill mod?