Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

5 Speed guys ever do the drill mod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:12 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

bump for an answer to the above... i'm doing a swap right now & would like to do the drill mod while there's plenty of room to work
Old 07-22-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah sure, go ahead and do it. It's the line with the restriction, not anything to do with the tranny. Look it up on LS1howto or whatever that site is. If I had things apart, I'd go ahead and do it. It's not gonna hurt anything as long as you flush the line afterwards.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:54 AM
makes children cry

my question is where the restriction is for the truck lines. the f-body lines are the braided hose all the way to the m/c, but the truck has braided line half way, then plastic line the other half
Old 07-23-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Really?? Guess I'm not remembering correctly then. I know for sure mine is braided into the slave cylinder down at the trans. Is the plastic line you're seeing the line leading from the fluid reservoir down to the actual M/C itself? Cause that's not the line you're concerned with with respect to the drill mod.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somewhat on-topic: Can't a shifter upgrade help with speed of shifting,too? I had a 71 340 with an m4 and I had considered going to the Hurst Super Shifter from the stock Hurst(long throw)shifter. The SS had much shorter throws and a more solid feel.

I ended-up selling the car before/instead...it was old and tired,anyhow.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, it helps somewhat, especially in the solidness factor. I had a Hurst on my truck for a while but sold it to build funds for a T56 swap. Unfortunately, school costs got in the way of that one, so its on the back burner. It was a good shifter, though, or at least I thought.

The NV3500 is still a truck tranny through and through, so there's only so much band-aid-ing you can do to it to try and up its performance ante. The synchros in it is what limits your shifting speed more than anything. As I mentioned, though, the drill mod certainly isn't gonna hurt anything.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:32 PM
makes children cry

Originally Posted by PathfinderJr
Really?? Guess I'm not remembering correctly then. I know for sure mine is braided into the slave cylinder down at the trans. Is the plastic line you're seeing the line leading from the fluid reservoir down to the actual M/C itself? Cause that's not the line you're concerned with with respect to the drill mod.
just pulled it off today while the engine's out. the fluid reservoir sits directly on the m/c & it's a plastic line that goes from the m/c to almost the bottom of the firewall. then there's a coupler that connects it to braided line that goes the rest of the way down to the slave. i saw the parts-counter schematics that showed it's two pieces, but the thing is that that plastic line it heat-fitted to the braided line when it's assembled, so it ain't coming apart (that i know of).

would a full braided line from a 4th gen z28 work? i know the slaves are the same & i think the m/c are too.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by zebra86
just pulled it off today while the engine's out. the fluid reservoir sits directly on the m/c & it's a plastic line that goes from the m/c to almost the bottom of the firewall. then there's a coupler that connects it to braided line that goes the rest of the way down to the slave. i saw the parts-counter schematics that showed it's two pieces, but the thing is that that plastic line it heat-fitted to the braided line when it's assembled, so it ain't coming apart (that i know of).

would a full braided line from a 4th gen z28 work? i know the slaves are the same & i think the m/c are too.
the restriction your lookin for is where the braided line connects to the slave. youll have to knock out the roll pin and then the braided line will seperate from the slave. that is the end where you would perform the drill mod.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:04 AM
makes children cry

mine has a quick disconnect at the slave.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by zebra86
mine has a quick disconnect at the slave.
are you runnin a f-body slave? did you change out you braided line?

Quick Reply: 5 Speed guys ever do the drill mod?