Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

5.3l thrust bearings are gone ISO swap. need some opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3l thrust bearings are gone ISO swap. need some opinions.

Got the news today from my shop (late model throttle out here in waukesha wi) truck is untuneable due to thrust bearings on the crank being shot. Bought the truck about 3 weeks ago for a good price.

Ls6 inteternals
ls6 hotcam
Gm performance ls6 heads
Flt level 6 trans
yank stall (lockup is sticking, good chance thats got something to do with the ****** thrust bearings)
Thr truck is a 99.

Anyway, looking around at my different options due to the fact that i have limited time and space to build a new engine, pretty much narrowed down to a fairly straight swap. Looking around the 6.0 are the more appealing way to go for me. Seeing as my trans is actually legit it should be able to handle it. My question is, is there a more ideal year then others? I know with some i will have flexplate issues. What year lq4 or parts should i be looking at to make the swap easiest. I have done a lot of research, but come up with some mixed opinions. Help is appreciated! Thanks.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The old iron headed 6.0's had a longer crank. The crank is about .400 longer than any other LS engine. The 6.0 was mated to the 4l80e transmission and it needed to be longer. The later engines that had aluminum heads have a .400 longer spacer on the crank to make up for this. If you are running the 4l60e transmission you will want an aluminum headed engine and then you will remove the spacer.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:57 PM

Thank you sir, then i should be able to run my current flexplate and new torque convertor without issue? Or should i pick up a 6.0 flexplate? Im considering an atk shortblock setup, but i can't turn down a good deal if i come across one.

So.. is it possible to run an older 6.0 with a certain flex plate or spacer?
Old 01-01-2014, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If your new 6.0L came from a 2001 or newer ½ Ton which would had had a 4L60/65E trans instead of the larger/stronger 4L80E that would had been behind the 6 litre engine in a ¾ Ton or 1 Ton you can use the flexplate that comes on the engine. If your newfound power-plant indeed was sourced from a ¾ Ton or heavier duty rig, you will want to swap on your current flexplate from your 5.3L. Saying that, while in some cases it’s not completely necessary, it sometimes can advert hassle by swapping most of your external sensors and other ancillary components from your current engine as well for hassle free compatibility, which can also help rule out issues that may arise due to you knowing that your's already function.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

What year is the original truck/engine/trans?

That would help tremendously in helping you get the most compatible and painless engine swap possible.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing to think about is why the thrust bearing went out. The thrust bearing is not common to just go out. In order for it to go out, there usually needs to be pressure either forward or backwards on the crankshaft. One of the common things that can cause that is a bulging converter. If you decide to use the converter over, make sure that was not the issue.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:46 AM

Block and trans are both 99, but i'm really leaning towards an lq4 shotblock with my heads and probably a similar cam.

And yes gadgetized, i'm pretty sure the convertor took em out. On deceleration the truck would jerk around quite a bit due to the lockup not wanting to disengage. So i'm willing to bet the convertor had a lot to do with it. Kinda sucks, i picked the truck up about 3 weeks ago for a great price and the next day it started falling on its face under load. Babied it for a week and a half and its been in the shop since. Picking it up today and its going to hold down the driveway until i start making my purchases:/
Old 01-03-2014, 06:57 AM
On The Tree

Build an LQ9 with the 05 up rods, that's what I'm doing for a budget ball buster.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:31 PM

If I had time to piece something togather like that I would love to. Its looking like 'll be picking up an 05 lq4 with lower mileage this week for a good price so at least i can get this moving along. Can't wait to make my large summit purchase of all the new parts