Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80e rebuild for 2002 Yukon Swap, SLOWWWWW BUILD....

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Thought i had all the time in the world with my truck, then life happened, triple bypass (year and a half ago at age of 37), then my buddy who was nice enough to let me use his garage, decided he was gonna leave his wife..... And told me 3 months after my surgery, i had two weeks to get everything out of the garage.... And then a month after that i get told im having another kid....Needless to say ive gotten her mostly back together but had to shortcut a few things in process (i.e. Torque converter, trans, headers, finishing the paint) someday ill get her right.... Good luck to you with this swap ive thought about 4l80e in mine but havent gotten to that point yet..
Wow.... uhhh, you win! You never know whats going to happen and thats for sure! I don't play video games or watch much TV. There is too much in life to learn about and play with. I'm turning 36 soon and who knows what next year will bring!

Also, I'm in Fairfax VA 22030. I know its a trip but if ever you want to piece together a trans and weld up a cross member I can make a day for you Hell, I can even tune your truck (if you pay for the credits). I can get you parts lists and such. I'm the head of engineering at a software company. You think I get much chance to play cars with the people I see daily?! Sigh....

-Eric
Old 09-06-2015, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got the direct drum all buttoned up.

4l80e rebuild for 2002 Yukon Swap, SLOWWWWW BUILD....-hhdm39d.jpg

Got attacked by two of these mother bitches in the garage. Yeah, I screamed. Brake cleaner killed em good.

4l80e rebuild for 2002 Yukon Swap, SLOWWWWW BUILD....-oincaym.jpg
Old 09-06-2015, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh and new GM lip seals have longer lips now? I posted on yellowbullet about this. If I hear this is normal I post back of course.

Top new seals, bottom old from trans.
4l80e rebuild for 2002 Yukon Swap, SLOWWWWW BUILD....-qutnjhg.jpg
Old 09-06-2015, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tgui
Wow.... uhhh, you win! You never know whats going to happen and thats for sure! I don't play video games or watch much TV. There is too much in life to learn about and play with. I'm turning 36 soon and who knows what next year will bring!

Also, I'm in Fairfax VA 22030. I know its a trip but if ever you want to piece together a trans and weld up a cross member I can make a day for you Hell, I can even tune your truck (if you pay for the credits). I can get you parts lists and such. I'm the head of engineering at a software company. You think I get much chance to play cars with the people I see daily?! Sigh....

-Eric
I know all about that, except i spend 70-80hours a week "playing" with cars and then last thing i wanna do is get home and crawl on my back in parking lot at my townhouse.... I grew up in sLeesburg.. Have family in fairfax, manassas, arlington and my mother in west virginia... Rt 9 is where my 5.3 let go of two rods, two days after xmas 2013, cant complain though she made it to about 10 miles from home before she completely let go... But thats another story... I might just take you up on that if i ever get to the point of actually doing my own 4l80e... Got few other smaller projects need finish on her first. Kinda hope someone comes up with good stand alone for the 6l80/90... That would be a sweet swap i think!!!
Old 09-06-2015, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tgui
Got the direct drum all buttoned up.

Got attacked by two of these mother bitches in the garage. Yeah, I screamed. Brake cleaner killed em good.

Brake clean amazing does that quite well!!!
Old 09-06-2015, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know all about that, except i spend 70-80hours a week "playing" with cars and then last thing i wanna do is get home and crawl on my back in parking lot at my townhouse.... I grew up in sLeesburg.. Have family in fairfax, manassas, arlington and my mother in west virginia... Rt 9 is where my 5.3 let go of two rods, two days after xmas 2013, cant complain though she made it to about 10 miles from home before she completely let go... But thats another story... I might just take you up on that if i ever get to the point of actually doing my own 4l80e... Got few other smaller projects need finish on her first. Kinda hope someone comes up with good stand alone for the 6l80/90... That would be a sweet swap i think!!!
From what I read the 6l80/90 aren't as stout as the 4l80e, even when built! Other than the extra ratios I don't see the use. My fun car has a 5.0 420hp V8 and 8 speed trans. It feels like too many gears actually. 2010 Lexus ISF FYI.

I hear ya though. I want to put a bullet to my head if someone not close to me starts asking computer questions. I don't touch em when I get home other than to post on forums.

Have a good labor day!
Old 09-06-2015, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Brake clean amazing does that quite well!!!
I had a 6 pack of Lagunitas to kill my brain at the time
Old 09-06-2015, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I dunno drove an 11 tahoe with the 6 speed while i was waiting for my yukon to go through inspection friday and saturday and it actually seems bit faster with nowhere near the typical sloppy shift of the 60's im used to, but like i said the 80 swap is a ways off.... Little disappointed with cam in my truck. So, im gonna get that straightened out first along with headers etc, then worry about swapping transmissions... When i kill another 60!!! Lol

you too, i gotta work, yaaayyy!!!
Old 09-06-2015, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dunno drove an 11 tahoe with the 6 speed while i was waiting for my yukon to go through inspection friday and saturday and it actually seems bit faster with nowhere near the typical sloppy shift of the 60's im used to, but like i said the 80 swap is a ways off.... Little disappointed with cam in my truck. So, im gonna get that straightened out first along with headers etc, then worry about swapping transmissions... When i kill another 60!!! Lol

you too, i gotta work, yaaayyy!!!
Do the corvette servo swap and reduce your torque management by 60%. My Yukon effing lunges when switching gears on the 4l60e with that.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dont think the 1800 stall i have in truck is anywhere near enough for the setup i have. Supposedly when i had my truck tuned after i got it back together there was something retarding **** out of timing in D,3, and 1 and would drop idle down and damn near make it stall, basically kicked torque management in at idle in gear, so he tuned all torque management out completely, least thats story i got! Planning on doin something with trans in near future, puzzling cuz never had an issue with the 5.3, however that was stock with hyoertech progranner and it would run over mustangs....

Quick Reply: 4l80e rebuild for 2002 Yukon Swap, SLOWWWWW BUILD....