Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L60e Performance Rebuild Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60e Performance Rebuild Question

Well guys, I am in the middle of my LY6 swap, buying parts, etc. I knew I would need to rebuild my 60e at some point. Well, I thought my mind was playing tricks on me a few weeks ago prior to my rear end upgrade, I was in cruis control and the rpms would rev up a bit while on the I-45. I am not sure it i set the cruise control at a shifting point and it shifts or what.

Now that I have my new rear end, the tone of exhaust that I am used to hearing has changed a bit, as I thought it would. It seems like the tranny is slipping when going 60-70 mph. The rpms rev up a bit as I speed up slowly creeping up to 70. The sound and speed acceration seem to not sound the same now. The fluid id full, I have an external Tranny cooler in front on my radiator. Fluid does not smell burnt. My mechanic friend is going to drive it durring lunch to see if it's slipping.

My question is regarding the rebuild parts. I am staying with a 60e. I talked to the Bill at Hughes Performance and am looking at getting the rebuild kit part # 3789K @ $410.00 It has the Premium Overhaul Race Kit Box with Kolene¨ Steels.

Hughes recomended I also replace the Front and rear Carriers. Front Part HP3769, Rear HP3770. This would add $578.00 to the Rebuild parts cost. I am wanting a pretty stout setup. Should I go ahead and get The carriers since the transmission is going to be out, or is it a waste of money.

I already have a Kevlar band, Beast Sunshell and vette 3/4 servo and a shift kit. I already had a stall reworked to 2800 thats going in with the 6.0

I already have the $ set aside for the kit incase My tranny breaks this weekend or when ever. I am not sure on how much HP I am going to be pushing but I am guessing in the 420-450 then the bottle. I am not looking to buy a built tranny either, they cost way too much.

Last edited by pasadenaman; 04-09-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

is the band already in the transmission?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, The Kevlar band has been in the tranny for about 50K miles
Old 04-11-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would replace it. Sounds like it may be slipping if what your hearing is happening in 4th.

I'll be using Raybestos blue plate special clutches & Raybestos pro series band in my next build. I'll be replacing the kolene steels from the kit with stock steels however. I'm getting my kit from ctpowertrain.

Last edited by stevenc; 04-11-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I drove up to willis and its slipping. Went from 3.5 - 4 rpm trying to get to 80 from 65.
Whats better Raysbestos blue plate or the Kolene steeles. I am thinking Maybe I jest need to buy the clutches and the 5 pinion front and rear and filter.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

don't know why i was told this....but someone told me when you put a wider 2-4 band in the 4l60e you must put a new input drum in with it? However a stronger band that is stock width is ok without a new input drum?

What about the red alto 3-4 clutch pack with kolene steels?
Old 04-12-2010, 02:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I just ordered the 5 pinion planets. Next paycheck ill get the rebuild kit and valve body + 4340 steel shaft. Hope she hangs on.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Jeteys5.3

if your drum is not warped a stock width band is ok. If you get an alto pack make sure it doesnt have thin steels.

pasadenaman

the raybestos blue plate are the clutches. from what I am told they do better with stock steels. I don't see why you need the 5 pinions tho, the 4 pinions do just fine. You don't have that much power.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

Not banging on hughes but you can buy all the parts from some one else for less money.

As far as the drum goes the band tends to wear a pattern on the drum. It is recomended that you replace the drum when you go to a wider band to prevent the new band from wearing un evenly. Some get away with not replaceing the drum. If your not going to replace the drum then just get the band in stock width so you dont have to worry about.

As far as the alto 3-4 pack don't get the thin ones as mentioned I believe the thin ones are like a 9 clutch pack.

5 pinion planets do help but you need to use the GM ones.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I found the planets from ac delco for 210 shipped and they are on the way. I am still looking for a rebuild kit.

Quick Reply: 4L60e Performance Rebuild Question