Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L60E breaking hard parts

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 4L60E breaking hard parts

The truck is a 06 CCSB 1500 5.3 w/ tsp cam 220r, ported heads, and long tubes. 3.42 gears w/ 33" tires (4.56 is coming soon).
I had a trans built for me by a local builder with upgraded hard parts, 5 pinion planetary, upgraded clutches, billet super servos, shift kit, 2600 stall. It always shifted like a beast, very firm shifts. but the 1-2 shift was extremely firm. 2 times now I have broken hard parts in the trans on the 1-2 shift, 1st time was the front sprag, and this time I'm thinking is a broken input drum? (no forward gears in d,2,1, reverse works. whining whirring noise). My trans guy is taking care of it again for me, but I'm looking for advise on what I can do here to try and keep this thing together.
On the tune side of things the trans tune is mild. Stock pressures, tq management not disabled. I also have not been very hard on this transmission yet.

Im thinking maybe going to a corvette 1-2 shift servo from the super servo? I feel like the 4.56 gears would also take some strain off the trans as well.
My trans guy says he has built lots of these with these component and hasn't had this problem. He also said that he will be able to do something while he is in there to soften the shift somewhat.

Any 60e gurus have any advise for me?
Please don't say just 80e swap it, I'm already invested in this trans... I've got to give it 1 more shot.

Thanks!

Last edited by js17hilton; 11-20-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by js17hilton
Please don't say just 80e swap it, I'm already invested in this trans...

Thanks!
You already know what you need to do.... You are going to go down a rabbit hole trying to get the 4L60E to be something it can not be.. Sorry.
Check this thread out:
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...derguy-539594/

Last post from Choda:
cliff notes to 25 pages of thread. I should have listened to the masses and went 80 years ago

Last edited by Burnett03; 11-20-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Default ?

I went through 4 of them befor I learned my lesson you need that 80 invested or not we all know the right thing to do
Old 11-20-2018, 08:07 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,331 Likes on 793 Posts

My built 60e would hit 2nd really hard with 3.42's and 29" tires, so hard it sometimes feels like being rearended. With 4.10's it's now just noticeable shifting into 2nd unless I'm on the throttle. The 4.56's is a huge swing from 3.42's and will indeed soften the 1- 2 shift. You may want the better holding servo reinstalled after the gear swap.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

The sprag and forward clutch are the weakest links in the 60e.

An overly firm shift is brutal on the sprag. You could go to a looser stall and that would cushion the shift but you’re just putting a bandaid on the inevitable.

Time for an 80e.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:15 AM
Launching!

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

The forward clutch is NOT the weakest part in a 60e madman.

anywho.

If you're breaking stuff on the 1-2 shift I bet your builder has used the transgo "HD2" shift kit like most. He has probably used Shims in the 1-2 accumulator housing. These shims belong in the trash. That's probably what he's going to do to soften the shift.

He could also look at the accumulator valve in the valve body and change the spring there. I don't see any need or reason to shy away from the billet 2nd gear servo if you already have it.

If you had the sprag replaced I hope he used the new plastic cage 29 element unit. If not...you need a new builder.

5 pinion planets were a waste of your money. I have 4 pinions out there over 550 hp. I know other builders that have them over 700. The planets are NOT the weak part of this trans.

Band clearance needs to be fairly tight. .060 as a target. This will help shift feel.

Use a pressure gauge and make sure the trans doesn't have stupid pressures on the 1-2 shift. Also scan for codes just as a precaution.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply’s. I know the 80e swap is inevitable. This trans is getting fixed under warranty, so I’m giving it another shot regardless.

The shift kit kit my builder used was made by shift technologies/superior.
I’m unsure if he used the shims or not for the accumulator housing. He told me he is using the best borg Warner sprag you can buy for them. Also, I requested the 5 pinion planets. At the time I thought it was a needed upgrade.
I will have him leave the billet servos, and just have him do whatever he said he could to soften it. I will get the 4.56 gears coming in a hurry. Hopefully this thing can hold together after that for a little while.

if the 1-2 shift is still crazy I will hook up a pressure gage. Where is there a port on this trans?

thanks

Last edited by js17hilton; 11-21-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Test port is very near/above the range switch (where the shift cable hooks up) - it'll most likely have a square head pipe plug in it. Same basic location on most of these trans - 700R4 / 4L60/E / 4L80E

Richard
Old 11-29-2018, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Thanks again for all the replies.

Ive got an update... I got the truck back today. The 1-2 shift is a completely different animal. It is no longer jaw shattering, but just a nice quick positive shift. MUCH smoother. I asked what they did to change it, and he said the builder that built it initially changed the accumulator shim stacks, and would flip the accumulators upside down or something and that firms the shift? If that makes since to anyone. Basically now they said they shimmed the accumulator more like a stock transmission. Apparently the builder that built it the first time no longer works for this shop.

Also, I got an update on what actually broke inside the trans, and I was told the front AND the rear planetary gear sets exploded. They also found that my back brakes are dragging severely and they said it was a combination of the power the truck is making, the weight, the gearing, and the extra stress from the dragging brakes that just over stressed the components too much.

Does it sound like I'm getting fed a line of BS? or does this actually make since to someone that knows transmissions more than me.

Im happy because the trans shifts better than ever, it no longer feels like its tearing its self to pieces when it shifts. I just wish it could have been like this the first time.

Thanks, any insight would be great.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

More gear = less stress overall.

What CAN happen is when you break a ring/pinion or center support bearing or anything that can cause a shock, ie, very hard shifting, like teeth shattering hard, can cause hard parts to break.

Quick Reply: 4L60E breaking hard parts