Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

2001 Tahoe rear airbags question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01wtahoe
blue 01- I can't get the web page to work . I liked the way the coil springs rode . It is way better than the airbags. But I can't tow my car and trailer without the bags. I would like to get some more info on the set up you have pictured.
Danny
http://airlift.r-catalog.com/choosecats.asp?hdnUK=14527
Old 05-14-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

I don't know what happen. I tested this one and it worked.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:56 PM
SIN
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blue 01
Put your coils back on and try this.
http://airlift.r-catalog.com/ymm.asp
Click on, online catalog, select your auto then, Load Assist Kit for Coil Springs >Air Lift 1000 Rear; Coil Spring Leveling Kit

That's basically the kit I have except the bags are way shorter ...about 5" and the bags are blue. The you posted are made for stock height vehicles with the taller springs. If he was to put a set of factory springs on, he woud have worse problems. Just get a pair of lowering springs and the helper bags and you should be good.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Regular

Sin- I found the Mcgaughy's helper bags like you have honestly how do you like them? I was driving my Tahoe today and just can't take it anymore the ride is so bouncey and crappy it is annoying. I still have the djm lowering springs for the back. But I need a helper bag to support the weight of the car trailer and car which total(estimate)5,500 to 6,000 pounds. I had tried to tow before the air bags I have now and it was impossible. The rear just couldn't handle the weight. I checked the bump stops and it looks stock but my problem is really not me bottoming out it's more of the ride and the bouncing it will bottom out once in a great while. It just doesn't feel safe. It also feels like it rocks back and forth a bit on the freeway and that is just in the rear. Is there any other way or a company that can make a custom airbag that is shorter than what I have now. Sorry for so many questions. But would like to get this thing fixed and riding good without having to do a expensive 4 link like one from KP Components now that is a nice setup. Thanks
Danny
Old 05-14-2005, 11:44 PM
SIN
Staging Lane

I really dont know what other options you have. I have no clue why your ride is actually that terrible. My ride is a lot smoother than it was with the DJM. I haven't actually towed anything yet..so I cant give you an honest opinion on that part of your dilemma. I had quite a bit of weight in the rear Friday night. I picked up a bunch of crap from Home Depot...prolly about 500lbs+...cement and landscaping stuff. I didn't have to air up the bags and I didn't have a prob with sagging much. That's still a far cry from towing 5000lbs+ though.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah I have to call around on Monday to see what I can do about it but this Air ride **** has to go. I will give it props while towing it works great but when not towing two thumbs down. Well I'll see what I can do and I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:46 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SIN
That's basically the kit I have except the bags are way shorter ...about 5" and the bags are blue. The you posted are made for stock height vehicles with the taller springs. If he was to put a set of factory springs on, he woud have worse problems. Just get a pair of lowering springs and the helper bags and you should be good.
Good catch, I totally forgot his hoe was lowered when I was looking up the info. One to many rum and cokes tonight.