PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Drivetrain & Suspension (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/)
-   -   2001 Tahoe rear airbags question (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/2001-tahoe-rear-airbags-question-321060/)

Black-Syde 05-12-2005 11:32 PM

2001 Tahoe rear airbags question

I have a 2001 Tahoe 2WD iwas lowered when I had bought it 3 years ago with a DJM kit. I think it is a 3 in front and 4 in back but not sure. I want to put air bags in the rear so I can tow my car trailer, but with the rear coil springs it just can't handle the wieght so I bought the Air ride Suspension kit to put air in the back . They work great for towing but when I'm not towing and don't have them aired all the way up it rides like shit. When I bought the kit I told the guy that it was lowered and I thought I was getting the right product for my Tahoe. So I was wondering if anyone ran into this problem before or is there an alternative to fixing this like a shorter airbag (what I mean by shorter as if was filled with air). If I fill the air bags all the up with the bags I have now it rides great but looks like crap because the rear of my truck is about 6 inches higher than the front. Please any help will be great or a web site to buy new bags or whatever. Thanks for the help in advance....
Danny

SIN 05-13-2005 09:46 AM

I got my helper bags from Mcgaughy's. They're the firestone ones and are shorter as they are deigned for drop springs.. You probably have 3" or 5" rear springs...I dont believe DJM ever made a 4". Or you could go with the ART cool ride kit for the rear.

Black-Syde 05-13-2005 01:33 PM

I have the Air Ride Tech kit and it sucks for a lowered tahoe If my Tahoe wasn't lowered It should have been fine . I might try the one you have. Does the rear bounce alot? Do you tow anything heavy? If so does it help out any? What lowering kit do you have? What drop front and rear?
Danny

SIN 05-13-2005 01:42 PM

I'm not sure what you have back there then, because the ART kit has bags that replace the springs. My rear doesn't bounce alot any more..much smoother ride. I have the Mcgaughys kit...3/5 and sleepersilverado, the guy who installed it for me, did this--http://www.djmsuspension.com/Articles/FreeTravel.htm--so I could have more travel and no more bottoming out problems.

Black-Syde 05-13-2005 01:47 PM

yup I just have the bags

SIN 05-13-2005 01:51 PM

Contact Tony at air ride...I heard he's the man to talk to over there. He should be able to point you in the right direction. It's kinda weird... I actually want that rear kit you have. Not too sure now that I've heard from you. How low does it actually go in the back? Until it hits the bumpstops? Any pics of it fully aired out?

Black-Syde 05-13-2005 01:54 PM

I wish I had some pics cause it goes so high you can damn near see daylight from the other side

SIN 05-13-2005 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by 01wtahoe
I wish I had some pics cause it goes so high you can damn near see daylight from the other side

How low does it go aired out?

Black-Syde 05-13-2005 01:57 PM

it will go pretty low but it is not driveable like that trust me I tried. It hits bumps really hard and tons of bouncing. But aired all the way up it rides perfect but looks stupid. I looks like a 1970's Hot rod with the rear raised up hella high. That look does not look to good on a Tahoe

SIN 05-13-2005 02:13 PM

That does sound crappy. There's not a middle area that you could drive comfortable at? Mine has a slight rake too. That's why I wanted the ART kit level out the rear. You're the first person I've heard complain about their kits...everyone praises them. Is it hitting your bumpstops in the back and causing the crappy ride perhaps? That's what was happening to me before the pockets got cut out.