Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

1995 4l80e rebuild question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 4l80e rebuild question

Hello, I am rebuilding a 1995 4l80e 4x4 transmission and had a question about some parts interchangeability. I have been looking for new replacement drums such as forward clutch drum,direct drum, overrun drum,front and rear planetary gear set, center support etc. preferably oem. I see some listed to fit from 1991-01 and 97-01. I was wondering if the lip seal style pistons would fit the 1997 drums or if I could use the 1997 style drums in my 1995 4l80e but use the molded pistons and if so would anything else have to be changed to use these newer drums. Any help would be appreciated, thanks for your time. It's not really been easy locating new early style drums with lip seal style pistons.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Why are you looking to change so many parts?

The molded piston can be used in any th400 or 4l80e drum. They interchange.

If you want to dual feed (silly not to do this) Make sure you leave off the center seal, discard the 2nd sealing ring on the center support, and plug the passage to the right of the center support bolt with a 3/8 cup plug.

Your 95 4l80e should have the 34 element sprag but there is a chance it will have a 16 element. You don't need to replace the drum to change sprags. Save the money and just buy a 34 element sprag...the race and drum from the 95 will work fine.

Forward drum came with either molded or aluminum pistons. Your 95 likely has aluminum. They are what I prefer for anything High HP. But if you want to use the molded, it will interchange also.

As for the planets, center support, forward drum, etc...what is your reason for wanting to replace? I can help you with that if need be...but there is hardly ever any reason to swap or replace these.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
Why are you looking to change so many parts?

The molded piston can be used in any th400 or 4l80e drum. They interchange.

If you want to dual feed (silly not to do this) Make sure you leave off the center seal, discard the 2nd sealing ring on the center support, and plug the passage to the right of the center support bolt with a 3/8 cup plug.

Your 95 4l80e should have the 34 element sprag but there is a chance it will have a 16 element. You don't need to replace the drum to change sprags. Save the money and just buy a 34 element sprag...the race and drum from the 95 will work fine.

Forward drum came with either molded or aluminum pistons. Your 95 likely has aluminum. They are what I prefer for anything High HP. But if you want to use the molded, it will interchange also.

As for the planets, center support, forward drum, etc...what is your reason for wanting to replace? I can help you with that if need be...but there is hardly ever any reason to swap or replace these.
To be honest I included the center support and planets as a worst case scenario, I have not got the trans tore all the way down yet, I however would like to replace the direct drum which I already have and the front planet just because they have apply bands around them. I do know that the forward clutches are gone. This trans will just be going back into a stock 1995 GMC Sierra with a 6.5 so it won't have an enormous amount of hp or torque behind it, so say if I need a forward drum I should be able to use one that says it is for a 1997 as long as correct piston is used or would that require a shaft change, I'm pretty new to the 4l80e I've done a couple 4l60e though. Thanks