Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

04 Z71 4x4 Tahoe, Slight Slip on Accel while turning

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Z71 4x4 Tahoe, Slight Slip on Accel while turning

We have a truly great truck - '04 Z71 Tahoe 4X4 I bought with 95k miles 2 years ago. It now has 147k.

The truck has been bulletproof mechanically sans a few A/C actuators and some water pump gaslets. We've probably put 4k miles on it towing our 5k#++ boat. When I bought it with a folder full of service records, I went ahead and changed all the fluids - engine, transfer case, rear diff, trans, coolant, brake fluid. I used GM fluids in all cases, including dropping the pan and installing a new trans filter.

This is my 3rd Tahoe and by far the best.

Recently, I've noticed a slip feeling on acceleration for 1/2 sec and then it catches only when turning tightly left or right. This occurs when in 2wd. I haven't done much testing in Auto, but tried 2x and didn't notice any slip.

I did detect some minor seepage at the transfer case seam in the last few days, not sure if it is related. I decided not to check the fluid, as I didn't have any to add on hand.

Anyone seen something similar?

I might just upgrade the wife to a newer Suburban Z71 and go ahead and go through the whole drivetrain/suspension, perhaps going LQ9 or L33, but I'd prefer to run it out to 200k before major surgery.

Thanks PT.net.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your 1st gear clutch is beginning to wear out. Also, the transmissions tend to respond negatively to fluid changes at 100k if they missed their 50k change. Seems yours is still going, so I'd just go with "old transmission syndrome".
Old 08-08-2011, 07:37 AM
FormerVendor

I would start with looking for the obvious... meaning take a look at the fluid level and fluid condition. Also get a look at that leak, could it be coming from the transmission and dripping off of the transfer case?

g
Old 08-08-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
Sounds like your 1st gear clutch is beginning to wear out. Also, the transmissions tend to respond negatively to fluid changes at 100k if they missed their 50k change. Seems yours is still going, so I'd just go with "old transmission syndrome".
The fluid was changed at 50k - I have the receipt for it.

I did a full flush of Dex VI - 18 quarts at 99k. I also installed a Corvette servo. I have HP Tuners, but elected not to touch the Tahoe for the sake of DD reliability.

I agree, I figured 147k on a 4L60 wasn't bad considering the bad rap they all get.

Any reason why the "slip" feeling seems to only happen when turning? I will check the fluid level on the trans, but the fluid I am seeing is Blue/Green and definitely transfer case.

I will get a quart of it and make sure it is topped off.

Can the transfer case come out without dropping the entire trans? I see the sticky on taking the transfer case apart, but the trans is already out of the truck.

Thanks!

Last edited by Closer_2001; 08-08-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes the T-case can be dropped with the transmission still in the truck. Gotta take the driveshafts off first though.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
Yes the T-case can be dropped with the transmission still in the truck. Gotta take the driveshafts off first though.
Thanks - here is the trans fluid. No shiny stuff, a touch dirty, but not too bad. This is about 48k miles and had planned on changing it very soon.

Could low Transfer Case Fluid cause it to slip on acceleration ?

Old 08-08-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

No, low T-case fluid shouldn't cause slippage. If it did, it would be due to high resistance causing the transmission to slip.

On my Suburban the truck would slip briefly when turning left or right, but then again it was a stock transmission on a 23' long 7500lb truck with fulltime 4x4.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine did the same thing when I lost the 2-3 clutches. And unless you swapped in a 4L65E, it has a 4L60E stock.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
Mine did the same thing when I lost the 2-3 clutches. And unless you swapped in a 4L65E, it has a 4L60E stock.
Thanks for the correction - it seems we are headed toward a rebuild on this beast.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Update

Transfer case has pinhole leak. I am going to remedy this weekend.

Local trans shop can't reproduce the slip, dropped the pan and sees nothing amiss. I suspect this topic isn't closed, but will update thread is anything changes

Quick Reply: 04 Z71 4x4 Tahoe, Slight Slip on Accel while turning