FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Whipple Supercharger for '02 silverado 5.3 help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whipple Supercharger for '02 silverado 5.3 help!!!

Hi members, I'm new to this website and I got this used supercharger that I'm wanting to install on my truck which is an 02 silverado 5.3. I currently have longtube headers, tune, spacer and K&N. I attached a picture of the complete kit. If you see that I need something else please chime in or if it looks complete let me know. To what I know I believe its complete and also would it be better to add 42lb injectors and another fuel pump or what do you guys recommend me. Thanks for your help... Chris

Old 03-07-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there an intake there? No chiller no pump for the chiller?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by 3DTIM
Is there an intake there? No chiller no pump for the chiller?
That's a side-mount, Mr. just fell off of the turnip-truck boy. It blows straight into the manifold, non-intercooled. The adapter elbow has two big injectors to add a cooling spray of fuel.
chevytk, yes get a fuel pump, 42 lb injectors, and a tune. Throw all of the electronics away. The electronics run the auxiliary injectors, and open the bypass (too soon) to protect the engine. The new tune and 42 pounders replace the Whippletronics. The only things electrical you need from that pile are the extension cords for the TPS and the IAC. The vacuum solenoid that operates the bypass actuator isn't needed. Just run a hose from the barb on the actuator nearest the linkage, to the vacuum fitting on the compressor inlet. It looks like you have extra blower pulleys, use the one to give you 6 to 7 psi maximum boost. That's about your limit without intercooling. Alcohol injection would be very helpful in a non-intercooled setup, I personally am not a proponent of it because your engine will melt if you run out of alcohol during a WOT pull.
I don't know why you have two extra tensioners, and I don't see a bracket to mount your throttle cable. The blower inlet was intended for a drive-by-wire (DBW) throttle, you're going to have to make a throttle cable bracket. (2002s aren't DBW, are they?)
You might be missing some spacers and mounting bolts.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you very much for your help guys.. I'm new to this and really don't have much knowledge about it.. I appreciate all your help since I want to make this right. Yeah my truck is mechanical throttle and this unit was installed in a 2003 ss silverado. So how can I make a bracket for the throttle body MikeGyver? Also wheres the blower inlet? Sorry for my ignorance but I'm really new to this... Once again I greatly appreciate your help..
The following users liked this post:
Hardtop (03-10-2019)
Old 03-07-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need a crank pulley to piggy back the stock one.Blower pulley offset is further away from the stock crank pulley.You have what we call a two belt system.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cable bracket is on the blower inlet opposite the drive or pulley side.It look like a lil wing comin off the inlet side.You probabaly need to tap it cause,there is no provisions for bolts.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
You need a crank pulley to piggy back the stock one...
Oh, yeah. I spaced that one.

Here is a diagram of how to make something, you'll have to plug in your own words and order of steps.

Name:  Article-PMAProcessChart.jpg
Views: 3653
Size:  71.9 KB
Old 03-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

so I need to buy a performance crank pulley or what kind of pulley so it can fit properly? Thanks guys
Old 03-07-2011, 11:21 PM
TECH Veteran

I think Whipple or used are the only sources. You need a two-belt crank pulley, I think the years are 1999 to 2003. They even custom-made one for me that was one inch larger than their stock one, and yes, it was expensive.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:31 PM
TECH Veteran

You'll need to pin your crank, if you can't find a used crank pinning kit, Magnacharger or a distributor will sell you one. It's a kit with a drilling fixture that drills longitudinally into the end of the crank. Half of the hole is in the crank, half is in the damper. This is necessary to keep the damper and blower pulley locked to the crank to deal with the high load that turning the blower imposes.

Quick Reply: Whipple Supercharger for '02 silverado 5.3 help!!!