FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Whipple A2W intercooler is here!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

cool, good luck to ya. I hope all your frustrations are at a end.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:17 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
just checked tracking and it looks like the rail will be here Thursday. So maybe there is an outside shot i will make it to the track on Friday...hopefully.
sweet!
Old 11-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better take a helmet
Old 11-07-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
Better take a helmet
Wonderful...now you have jinxed me.......
Old 11-09-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

So im on my way home from work and i am thinking i should stop and get something to fix for dinner before i start throwing the new fuel rail on. So i swing into the supermarket and remember grippy telling me vasoline will work well to install the injectors so i figure i will knock out 2 birds with one stone.

Lets jump forward in time about 15 minutes from then with me rolling up to the register with a small jar of vasoline and a package of hotdogs.....not a great conversation starter with the lady at the register......go ahead and try to explain that one.....i dont care what you say, she aint gonna believe it. Oh sure sir......i bet your gonna install some injectors.....have a nice day.....

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.....
I think we got a winner here this time folks. Ambient temps outside this evening were about 63*-65*. Cruising around on the highway at speeds of 50 -70mph and my IATs never hit 80*. A few long pulls of speeds up to 100mph and the hottest she got was 97*, then quickly dropped back to the mid 80's. Needless to say i am very happy so far. Before the I/C my cruising IATs in these ambient temps yielded about 155* and would quickly climb to over 200* after a WOT run. I lost about 0.5psi it seems because i was just barely hitting 5.5psi at WOT. I can definately put some more timing in there and plan to do some more tuning this weekend. I will probably put the smaller pulley on once i see what my IDC's are like. I didnt go through hooking up the wideband so im not sure what my AFR looks like yet either. It felt great, the I/C made the blower a little louder too.

Now, you didnt think i could get all the way through this without any glitches did you? Once i got the injectors in the new rail I had to transfer the FPR to the new rail as well. It didnt feel quite as snug in this rail as it did in the other but everything was in there correctly. I got the rail put back on and bolted down and turned the key to make sure i didnt have any leaks. I didnt have any leaks, but the pressure went up to 62lbs stayed for 1 second, then dropped back off to about 15lbs and sat there. I double and tripled checked everything and found no leaks or loose conections so i put everything back together. When i cranked it up, it took a while to fire up (like it had to build pressure first). Once it did, it fired up and ran very smooth. If i stopped the engine and cycled the key again, it did the same thing. If i cranked it over before the pressure fell, it would fire right up like normal. I am thinking it has to be something with the FPR but nothing is leaking gas from anywhere. I didnt need to prep that o-ring in the FPR with any grease or anything did I? With the truck running the FPR felt very snug in the housing, but with the truck off, i could spin the FPR pretty freely, does that sound right?

Anyway, i am going to try to tune it up this weekend, havent made up my mind about the track tomorrow, but i probably wont go until i have some time to tune it correctly. I still have 2 more weeks till the track closes.

Bottom line, very happy with the intercooler so far, i will get some logs of the runs posted up in the tuning section tomorrow. Here is a few shots of the new rail and the damage to my old one.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

Good temperatures, congratulations. I would have brazed that fuel rail. How are your ECTs? Next summer you will be wanting a refrigeration chiller for your reservoir. Change your signature, now.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:25 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Congrats! Glad to hear it all worked out!
Old 11-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that is huge decrease in temps....awesome!
Old 11-09-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

thanks guys, i am very excited to throw some timing into it now. Any suggestions on the pressure drop thing?
Old 11-10-2006, 01:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I take it the fuel pressure was not acting that way before the swap? I had something similar happen on my sisters truck where if you did not start it right away after the fuel pump primed, it would take a while to start. It turned out that it was the common problem of the check valve in the fuel pump taking a crap so basically the pump would make pressure if continuously running, but the pressure would immediately bleed of if it wasn't continuously ran. I doub't that's the problem if it wasn't doing it before the rail swap, but something you might want to be aware of.

Quick Reply: Whipple A2W intercooler is here!