FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Whipple A2W intercooler is here!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice looking set up for sure. Do you know the flow rate on that pump? I am sure the air temps now even on there worst day, will still be lower then before.
Ricky
Old 11-03-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
nice looking set up for sure. Do you know the flow rate on that pump? I am sure the air temps now even on there worst day, will still be lower then before.
Ricky
I glanced at it, but i dont remember for sure. I will take another look this evening and let you know.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Okay, Got the new manifold adapter and blower adapters put on. Got the extra injectors removed and capped. Got the new manifold adapter drilled and tapped out for the IAT sensor. Got the battery removed from the AUX battery location to make room for the oversized water reservoir. Installed and rewired the battery over in the stock location. Reinstalled the PCM/TCM in thier stock locations Got the intercooler core fitted on top of the manifold, and thats about it for tonight. Realized the dummies gave me 4" silicone couplings instead of 3", so i will have to pick up 2 of those tomorrow. Hopefully i will have everything done tomorrow as long as i dont run into any problems. I still didnt get a chance to look at the pump specs Ricky, i will tomorrow. I will get some pics up tonight or tomorrow too.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:36 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
Okay, Got the new manifold adapter and blower adapters put on. Got the extra injectors removed and capped. Got the new manifold adapter drilled and tapped out for the IAT sensor. Got the battery removed from the AUX battery location to make room for the oversized water reservoir. Installed and rewired the battery over in the stock location. Reinstalled the PCM/TCM in thier stock locations Got the intercooler core fitted on top of the manifold, and thats about it for tonight. Realized the dummies gave me 4" silicone couplings instead of 3", so i will have to pick up 2 of those tomorrow. Hopefully i will have everything done tomorrow as long as i dont run into any problems. I still didnt get a chance to look at the pump specs Ricky, i will tomorrow. I will get some pics up tonight or tomorrow too.
any pics?
Old 11-04-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by moregrip
any pics?

So here I yanked the blower off so i could get to the bolts that hold the discharge adapter on.

Here is the blower on the bench, i have to clean the silicone off and bolt on the new discharge elbow.

New elbow on the left, old one on the right.

Intake manifold inlet adapter has been removed and getting ready to clean off the surface.

New inlet adapter tapped for the IAT sensor. This is also where the extra injectors were mounted. I removed them and capped off the inlets.

New inlet adapter installed.

Blower is back on and adapters are in place.

Battery has been removed from AUX location and reservoir has been fitted into place (THANKS NXRICKY FOR THE RESERVOIR). Intake plumbing has been reinstalled.

A closer look at the reservoir.

Sorry for some of the PICs being blurry. I test fitted the intercooler on the manifold and it looks like it will be good. Tomorow i will get the core mounted as well as the heat xchanger and plumb everything up. The pump was 22.5l/hr @15kPa, does that sound right?
Old 11-04-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Nice work man looks good, cant wait to here about some killer numbers.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

UPDATE

Got two issues now. One is easily fixed, one will take a few hours. Let me start with the good stuff. Everything installed without any problems and seems to be fine. It looks real nice too! Lets go with some more pics, i know how you guys like your pics....

Here is the heat exchanger mounted in front of the A/C condensor and tranny cooler. Whipple instructions had me mounting this thing down below the bumper where no air at all would get to it. This seemed like a much more effecient location. All i had to do was reverse the brackets and drill 2 holes in the tranny cooler bracket and bingo.

Here is a side view of the heat exchanger, see how close the inlet/outlet is to the A/C condensor?

Here was my solution to how close the inlet/outlets were. Some simple browsing behind the local Autozone counter and i picked up a couple of these.......

Here is a pic of the pump installed. It is a 5 liter per minute (5 l/min) pump.

Here is the intercooler test fitted on top the manifold and getting ready to cut my silicone couplings.

A closer look at the intercooler.

This is a shot of the heat exchanger behind the grill. Plenty of air will be available to it now!

This is is a shot of the pump wiring into the fuse box. I tied into the headlight delayed circuit that runs approx. 20 seconds after key off (or programmable on your DIC for 20, 40, or 60 seconds) and tapped into that with an "add-a-circuit" adapter. This operated the pump only at "key-on" and about 20 seconds after key off.

Here is a shot of everything installed.

Now for the 2 issues. The first one is the aftermarket reservoir tank that i bought. It had the wrong size bungs welded into it so i had to use the stock reservoir until i can send it back and have the larger bungs welded in. The second issue is the bitch.....when i was removing my fuel pressure sending unit from the schrader valve it cracked the joint where the valve protrudes from the rail... . Luckly as i was testing and priming the reservoir pump i smelled gas and looked around. Found that it was spraying right from that joint in the rail, so i have to pick up a new fuel rail. That sucker costs about $200 and about half a day or so to install because i will have to pull the blower and intercooler back off to get to it. I think there is a higher power working against me here . Anyhow that will be a job for next weekend. Still pretty happy overall cosidering the two hicups but i should be able to take care of those pretty quickly i hope. I really wanted to get some IAT readings but i guess i will have to wait till next week now.

Last edited by Whippled 496; 11-05-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:17 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

looking good brother! can't wait to hear the results!

LOL, you don't have much room left in there do ya!
Old 11-05-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by moregrip
looking good brother! can't wait to hear the results!

LOL, you don't have much room left in there do ya!

LOL, like i said before, i could dump a 5 gallon bucket of quarters in the enging bay and about $1.75 would hit the ground.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:28 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

there is a engine in there somwhere right??? Moregrip is right, there sure isnt much room left. Looks good man, sorry to hear about the fuel rail. You will get there, cant wait to hear the results.

Quick Reply: Whipple A2W intercooler is here!