FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

wastegate and bov hookup

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wastegate bottom port goes on the boost side before the TB and the top port is for the boost controller. The bov can use either before the TB or after the TB.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Any reason to do it this way? My turbo doesn't even have a port at the compressor exit like I've seen on most. It's an MP70.
My mp76 has a flat spot you could drill and tap for a fitting. Take another look at your 70 I bet its got one to. I believe the gate responds faster hooked to the housing. Someone correct me if im wrong.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

looks good. i bought a gauge pod from chubbycam that goes in the dash pocket and it is awesome
Old 06-24-2012, 11:05 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

Any reason to do it this way? My turbo doesn't even have a port at the compressor exit like I've seen on most. It's an MP70.
You can drill and tap near the outlet of the housing. Ideally it shouldnt make a difference if you reference the compressor housing, or the intake. However, if you have an undersized or crappy intercooler and there is a large pressure drop across it you may have problems. What you really care about is the pressure in the intake, ie what the engine sees, as opposed to the compressor housing which is just what the turbo sees. Ideally they will be the same but there is always some degree of pressure drop across an intercooler, so I would reference the intake.

Originally Posted by o2camaross
Wastegate bottom port goes on the boost side before the TB and the top port is for the boost controller. The bov can use either before the TB or after the TB.
No. Wastegate should reference manifold pressure (after the tb) and BOV must certainly reference the manifold after the TB. The line to the BOV is there to help open the valve when you let off the pedal when under boost. In this case the engine is pulling a lot of vacuum and there is positive pressure in the cold pipes, both of which force against the BOV spring opening the valve. If you were to hook it up before the TB, the same pressure the BOV is meant to relieve will be holding it shut effectively making it useless.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Atomic
You can drill and tap near the outlet of the housing. Ideally it shouldnt make a difference if you reference the compressor housing, or the intake. However, if you have an undersized or crappy intercooler and there is a large pressure drop across it you may have problems. What you really care about is the pressure in the intake, ie what the engine sees, as opposed to the compressor housing which is just what the turbo sees. Ideally they will be the same but there is always some degree of pressure drop across an intercooler, so I would reference the intake.

No. Wastegate should reference manifold pressure (after the tb) and BOV must certainly reference the manifold after the TB. The line to the BOV is there to help open the valve when you let off the pedal when under boost. In this case the engine is pulling a lot of vacuum and there is positive pressure in the cold pipes, both of which force against the BOV spring opening the valve. If you were to hook it up before the TB, the same pressure the BOV is meant to relieve will be holding it shut effectively making it useless.
Thanks atomic!! Good to see a proper explanation! Starting my turbo install tomorrow so this is exactly what I needed
Old 06-25-2012, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sry I was quite drunk when I wrote that last night haha. You are correct. I have my bov after TB and I know wastegate "should" go after TB as well but mine is coming straight off the turbo.

Originally Posted by Atomic

Old 06-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most wg manufactures won't recommend putting the signal to the manifold, they aren't meant to see vacuum (also a slower response, as atomic said).

On diaphragm style wastegates, the diaphragm may deform under vacuum (causing creases or pinched diaphragms).

On all wastegates, non have a valve stem seal, causing a vacuum leak (and possibly a little exhaust diluting the intake charge if your backpressure is too high).
Old 06-25-2012, 09:59 AM
MASS seller approved

You can reference the wastegate between the compressor and intercooler, between the intercooler and tb or in the manifold with different results, none are wrong, just 3 different results and different reasons for each. BOV must use manifold pressure as said above.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

I would reference it to the manifold. That way the gate will open via the actual pressure seen in the intake, rather than at the compressor housing. Pressure at the intake is what matters.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02'Z71ONDUBZ'
I would reference it to the manifold. That way the gate will open via the actual pressure seen in the intake, rather than at the compressor housing. Pressure at the intake is what matters.
What about what slow67 said about wastegates not being meant to see vacuum? I've never heard of this before.

Quick Reply: wastegate and bov hookup