FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Ultimate f/i exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ultimate f/i exhaust?

I've been trying to find the perfect mix between performance and noise control. I daily drive my TVS blown GMC. So far, I've just about decided that if it flows well enough to not cost a whole bunch of hp, it's too damn loud at cruise. Was thinking electric cutouts may be the answer. Maybe use stock mufflers and boost reference the cutouts to open above 4psi. My snow boost cooler starts spraying at 4psi. Maybe there's a way to tie the cutouts into that system?

If someone's done this, please direct me to the thread. Also wondering about the reliability of the electric cutouts. Do they work long term?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The DMHs seem to be pretty good but even they fail, I think youre going to have to end up with a set of dougs brand. Theyre expensive but are much better built. I dont know how you could reference it of boost since all cutouts arent controlled by a moment switch. Id just run a decent exhaust that fits your noise level needs and when you feel froggy hit the button. im going to be running a stock catback and a 3" cutout. I figure most of the time Im not going to need the exhaust open even when in boost, if I really need the extra power I can hit the button.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would run a bullet and a big magnaflow like a 24" or a 30" or whatever they make.. That should controll it pretty well and straight through.. You might could even throw a cutout in there for the days you wanna wake the dead
Old 12-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

I am running LT's, Off road mid pipes into a magnaflow Silverado SS exhaust. Exhaust has two 12" magnaflow round mufflers into one large case magnaflow, single exit behind rear wheel. It sounds great, quiet under normal driving but yet loud enough you know its there. Sounds great at WO no rasp or crackle. All Stainless from headers to exhaust tip. All straight through too.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

why not run more than 1 glasspack/bullet/straight through style muffler on each bank? still should flow great being that they are straight through mufflers and sound would be greatly decreased.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right now, I have long tubes leading back to H pipe then dual resonators and then dual Magnaflows. 3" from collectors all the way back. It never shuts up. Don't mind it being loud when my foot is in it, but I'd like a little peace and quiet at cruise. Not horribly loud at cruise, but it gets that way when I tow. Towing, you can't hear yourself think.

Are there any specific e cutouts that are better than the others?
Old 12-28-2010, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Daul 3 inch to x pipe then magnaflow heavy metal cats then i went with pypes race pro mufflers 18'' then exit in stock location very mellow no drone untill u put your foot in it then watch out.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Right now, I have long tubes leading back to H pipe then dual resonators and then dual Magnaflows. 3" from collectors all the way back. It never shuts up. Don't mind it being loud when my foot is in it, but I'd like a little peace and quiet at cruise. Not horribly loud at cruise, but it gets that way when I tow. Towing, you can't hear yourself think.
Man, I feel your pain! I've got the same problem!
'06 gmc VHO, lq9 with a tvs1900 @ 6#, dynatech lt's, dynatech catted mid-pipes into a magnaflow 2 1/2" di/do, (for the built-in X pipe), on back thru stock piping to two 3" X 18" si/so magnaflows out the back. Louder than a "BY-GOD" under any kind of pedal before i did the di/do. but after I put that in it literally killed my SOTP power.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by old motorhead

Are there any specific e cutouts that are better than the others?
Are you running cats? if not, put them back in (or some aftermarket hi-flo model) and call it a day. With your setup, you will hardly notice the difference performance wise, it should kill some of the droning and it will be a bunch quieter.

Also, what size dual Magnaflows? Bumpers had a good suggestion if you are running any of their shorty cans.

Last piece, tailpipes? I'm running 3" downpipes > 3" X-pipe > dual 3" Random Technology 18" cans. It was a little loud in the cab but once I added dual 3" tailpipes to the rear bumper, it made it much quieter in the cab.

Rick
Old 12-29-2010, 10:33 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't suggest the boost referenced cut-outs, you'll burn the motors on the cut-outs, and they open alot slower than you think. By the time your done with your WOT run the cut-outs will have just opened. Usually take about 4 seconds to open.

Quick Reply: Ultimate f/i exhaust?