Stock Internals

Mods:
DW200 Fuel Pump
DW 44# injectors
4l60e w/Vette Servo
STS Kit w/ 750hp Ceramic ball bearing turbo upgrade
FMIC

Issue:
Issue 1: After installing kit, I had noticed during my test runs to record tuning logs that I had smoke coming from passenger side of truck. Minor smoke only seen when at stop. Upon inspection I find oil coated all over the engine bay on that side. Charge pipes, coil packs, manifold, everything soaked in oil. I figured not a huge deal, just have to rework the sts PCV system that I’ve heard so many bad things about. So let’s put that on hold for now..

ISSUE 2: I’m having massive amounts of oil flood my tailpipe flow, my charge pipes are soaked in oil, BOV misting oil everywhere, MAF ruined from being drenched in oil. I check the pump, clocking of turbo, drain tube from turbo outlet, everything electrical, test pump, all works as it should. Take it for a quick drive, and huge smoke screen follows as excepted. However, it then clears up, followed by near perfect operation. Next day, attempt to complete a log and halfway in I pull up to a stop light, notice smoke coming out of rear and upon acceleration another huge cloud of smoke which by the time I’m thru the intersection starts to clear up again. I get home to find the entire underside of the truck covered with oil, and oil streaming from the tailpipe.

I've gone back and forth double checking everything and I can’t seem to narrow down what is causing this oil to build up and randomly blow off like it’s doing. Any tips or help would be appreciated.

Let me know if more info is needed.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:25 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

That stupid scavenge pump probably giving you problems like they all will. Hard to beat the reliability of gravity front a front/high mount turbo.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:45 AM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
That stupid scavenge pump probably giving you problems like they all will. Hard to beat the reliability of gravity front a front/high mount turbo.
True. There’s valid pros and cons to every setup based off everybody’s own experience with the system.
I did have a knowledgeable guy who’s been helping me out along this journey. He was going to get me set up nicely with a front mount system, but I couldn’t get my truck to him in Madison, AL....... OH wait, that’s you. Maybe I’ll sell this kit and try to recoup some of the funds and start over by making that 12 hr trip
Old 07-02-2018, 10:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

I never had any problems with mine except blowing off a silicon coupling once. I didn't install it however so I cant really help...sorry. Lasted for maybe 15-20k miles until the tune got too aggressive and broke ring lands. It had a catch can and drained into the valley cover is all I remember.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Atomic
Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
I never had any problems with mine except blowing off a silicon coupling once. I didn't install it however so I cant really help...sorry. Lasted for maybe 15-20k miles until the tune got too aggressive and broke ring lands. It had a catch can and drained into the valley cover is all I remember.
Their kits don’t have a catch can system. I’ve been told (by atomic ^) to use one instead of the system that comes with the kit. Whoever installed yours must have gone the same route.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Yes it was an accessory installed by TRT in Arlington back in 07. They did the whole setup. I was making a **** ton of $ before the economy went south so I could easily pay rather than screw with it myself. They did a bunch of builds for me and others. I still have it in storage.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Perfect time to ditch the MAF and go straight speed density with a 2 bar operating system too.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

If only I would've had meth I'd probably still be driving it unless of course the pump failed and destroyed it anyway. Didn't know to ask at the time.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
If only I would've had meth I'd probably still be driving it unless of course the pump failed and destroyed it anyway. Didn't know to ask at the time.
Were you running a FMIC?
Old 07-03-2018, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FFDP
Perfect time to ditch the MAF and go straight speed density with a 2 bar operating system too.
Plan on doing this down the road but following Rick Squires direction for now so I don’t have any warranty or issues If something is faulty. I’d like to get the kit up and operational as it was designed, then make adjustments like this after

Quick Reply: STS 2005 Silverado 5.3 Oil Issues