FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

PCV setup with turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCV setup with turbo?

What do most people do with the Pcv system when running boost on these nnbs trucks? I was going to just run a catch can with a check valve from the driver side head to the intake and then either attach a breather filter to to passenger side valve cover or just run a hose before the turbo for fresh air. The only problem i see is whats going to happen when it goes into boost and the intake gets pressurized? The check valve is going to close and thats going to prevent the crank case from venting back to the intake which will cause it to pressurize which is no good right?

Let me know what you all think.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also, if i were to just put a little breather filter on the passenger side valve cover or run a hose pre turbo for fresh air, wouldn't that cause a issue with the MAF sense it will be before it and wont be able to calculate the air that eventually will get sucked back into the intake? Just another thought.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Mike Norris can

Can between driver side valve cover and intake w boomba valve.
Little 3/8 filter on pass side.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just have my drivers side valve cover tapped with 10an line running to a vented catch can. No factory style PCV system. Cant smell any oil. Simple and it works.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TAPyvehc93
Also, if i were to just put a little breather filter on the passenger side valve cover or run a hose pre turbo for fresh air, wouldn't that cause a issue with the MAF sense it will be before it and wont be able to calculate the air that eventually will get sucked back into the intake? Just another thought.
No tuning issues with the air going back into the intake being unregistered by the MAF?
Old 12-12-2014, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1TRUCKGUY
I just have my drivers side valve cover tapped with 10an line running to a vented catch can. No factory style PCV system. Cant smell any oil. Simple and it works.
But sense its not re-routed back to the intake, there is no vacuum on the crankcase so fresh air won't be pulled into the crankcase which will cause oil contamination right? A vented catch can will only allow positive pressure to escape the crank case. Looks like these are my only two options though.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Got another idea here. What if i get a catch can with dual exit ports with one check valve. For example, i would still have the catch can connected between the intake and the driver side valve cover with a check valve in place between the catch can and vacuum port on intake manifold. Then for the second exit port (no check valve) on the catch can, i would route the hose just before the compressor housing on the turbo. This way when the the intake manifold is not under boost the catch can will recirculate back into the intake manifold, but when the manifold is under boost, the check valve will close and the second exit port on the catch can will still be able to vent back to the intake via the vacuum port just before the compressor housing on the turbo. This way the pcv system will always have a way vent and pull in clean air regardless if its under boost or just idling. Does this sound about right?
Old 12-12-2014, 10:23 AM
Launching!

Check out Monster RX catch cans! These work the same way i run one on my truck.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blownescalade62
Check out Monster RX catch cans! These work the same way i run one on my truck.
I was leaning more towards the elite engineering catch can with dual ports. The RX is kind of $$$$. Plus i ran a elite cc on my other N/A NNBS truck and it worked very well.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Getting ready to pull the trigger on the elite engineering catch can with dual ports. I know i need a check valve between the catch can and the intake manifold, but would i also need a check valve between the cc and the vacuum port just before the turbo compressor? I don't think i would.

Quick Reply: PCV setup with turbo?