FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

New Whipple 2.9L compressor, 175AX

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Whipple 2.9L compressor, 175AX

Anyone seen or heard anything about these suckers yet? Here is the PDF on the 2.9L 175AX....

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/library/W175.pdf

Here is the PDF on the 2.3L 140AX (what i currently have now)....

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...dimensions.pdf

Virtually everything except for the length of this compressor looks identicle to the 2.3L. The lower side of the 2.9L compressor has a slightly different bolt pattern as well. It looks like a big problem would be to get the pulley's to line up for the belt, especially if this compressor is about 2.25" longer. I think it would also be close to hitting the firewall using the same mounting bracket that comes off the 2.3L compressor. If anyone has any inside info over at Whipple Industries or any ideas of how this may work on my setup pleae let me know. Another 6/10ths of a litre might get me close to 8 or 9 pounds of boost instead of this crappy 6.5lbs.

Can anyone tell of the lower part of the 2.9L blower is sealed except for the very front? See how the bottom looks like it would accept a much larger mounting plate? I wonder if the smaller mounting plate that the 2.3L blower uses would still work if it was just modified a little? Looks like the 2.9L blower is made to be manifold mounted....maybe thats why it looks like that. I guess i needto send another 6 or 10 Emails and see if anyone will respond.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does any other company make blower kits for the 8.1?

Is your's running the smallest pulley available?
Old 10-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Could you shorten the TB to blower adapter down some to help with firewall clearance?
Old 10-18-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
Does any other company make blower kits for the 8.1?

Is your's running the smallest pulley available?
Yup, I'm running a 2-3/8" pulley...it looks like a freakin nickel bolted to my blower. I get the same boost from the 2-3/8", 2.5", and 2-5/8" pulley's which tells me the damn blower is maxed out.

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
Could you shorten the TB to blower adapter down some to help with firewall clearance?
Maybe...not sure. It would be one ugly piece of home brew if i did though
Old 10-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Looks like they did the same thing again. When KB made the 2.2 off manifold setup whipple made the 2.3 in the same config. Now KB made the 2.8 a couple years ago so now whipple made the 2.9. Same old story pretty much, jamesbond2509 got a 2.8 KB to work with his 2.2l lower manifold. It required some modification but it worked good. If you can get the 2.9 to fit you will get more then 8-9lb out of it.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Looks like they did the same thing again. When KB made the 2.2 off manifold setup whipple made the 2.3 in the same config. Now KB made the 2.8 a couple years ago so now whipple made the 2.9. Same old story pretty much, jamesbond2509 got a 2.8 KB to work with his 2.2l lower manifold. It required some modification but it worked good. If you can get the 2.9 to fit you will get more then 8-9lb out of it.
Problem is, mine is an off manifold which means i am going to have a tough time getting everything to line up without hitting the fire wall and still utilizing the same mounting brackets. I checked what John was talking about and it looks like the blower to TB adapter on this thing is about as small as its going to get like it is. Everything looks good except for the length and the different bottom plate (obviously designed for an ON-Manifold setup). How much boost will another .6L actually get me on the 496? I sent them a few Emails, hopefully one of them will get back to me this century.

Here is a pic of my 2.3L blower showing the TB adapter.....dont think it can get much smaller than that.

Last edited by Whippled 496; 10-19-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

If my math adds up, it looks like i am sitting at about a 44mm difference in length......that comes out to just under 1.75". Unfortunately I only have about 1.125" between the throttle body and firewall right now. Aside from cutting the firewall at that point, not sure what i can do to make it work out. The most inportant thing is that the belt lines up and in order to keep that happening, the blower would need to sit back 1.73" further than it is now, and I only have about 1.125" of space back there. Also, in a comparison of the two PDF's, you can see an extra section of material on the 2.9L blower up on the front between the front of the casing and where the pulley would bolt on. That extra piece of material is not there on the 2.3L blower PDF but is actually a bracket holding the tensioning pulley as you can see in my picture. I am assuming its that bracket like you see in the picture on my blower that they just did not include on the 2.3L blower PDF. If it is indeed extra material and NOT that bracket, that would be another 9mm i have to add on the 44mm. Here are a few crappy pics to show what i am talking about. Its sunny out, so the pictures are a little bright.

Last edited by Whippled 496; 10-19-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could just make an adaptor to place the tb more on the passenger side almost like a j tube on a radix. a whole new intake will be fabbed but it shouldnt be all that hard.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see some possibilities. The first issue is that the intake tube is a restriction. I would like to see a vacuum guage ported into that tube just before the throttle body. I have found that the slightest bit of vacuum on the inlet side of the compressor loses much bigger on the output side.
There's not much room back there for a larger inlet tube so maybe you can get some of the room you need by moving the intercooler forward. There has to be at least 3" of straight pipe in the couplings that can be eliminated by cutting those sections off and welding the elbows directly to the intercooler.
Then, for the compressor inlet, use the one that comes with the Gen-III kit. It's a 90-degree elbow. I used this same elbow when I adapted the 2.3L compressor to my 1.6L kit for the 350. Keep in mind that part of the inlet elbow with these superchargers is the 1.5" port for the idle air bypass. You'll have to rig up something for that if the elbow changes.

I don't know if you'd be happy with the 2.9L compressor. I've done some math for my 454 and need the 3.3L compressor at minumum. 496 is going to want even more.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was just looking more closely at your photos...
The intake runners on the 8.1 are really high! I guess that's why they had to elevate the throttle body so much. There just isn't much room there....

Quick Reply: New Whipple 2.9L compressor, 175AX