FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

New Whipple 2.9L compressor, 175AX

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2004SSS
you could just make an adaptor to place the tb more on the passenger side almost like a j tube on a radix. a whole new intake will be fabbed but it shouldnt be all that hard.
Thats odd you say that. I was actually thinking about how it would react to extending the location of the TB. Are there any side effects the further away from the blower you get with the TB? I could definately cut a few inches out by relocating the TB to someplace on the passenger side.

Originally Posted by James B.
I see some possibilities. The first issue is that the intake tube is a restriction. I would like to see a vacuum guage ported into that tube just before the throttle body. I have found that the slightest bit of vacuum on the inlet side of the compressor loses much bigger on the output side.
Please explain further what you mean.

There has to be at least 3" of straight pipe in the couplings that can be eliminated by cutting those sections off and welding the elbows directly to the intercooler.
not sure i follow you here, the intercooler has very little plumbing...maybe 15" worth at most.

Then, for the compressor inlet, use the one that comes with the Gen-III kit. It's a 90-degree elbow. I used this same elbow when I adapted the 2.3L compressor to my 1.6L kit for the 350.
Thats not a bad idea, not sure if it would give up the 2" i would need though....i would need someone to get me an overall measuremt of the blower with that adapter hooked to it.

I don't know if you'd be happy with the 2.9L compressor. I've done some math for my 454 and need the 3.3L compressor at minumum. 496 is going to want even more.
Really? Would i still be out of its effeciency range with the 2.9L? I know there is just no way possible to get the 3.3L to work in there....at least not that I have found yet.

Was just looking more closely at your photos...
The intake runners on the 8.1 are really high! I guess that's why they had to elevate the throttle body so much. There just isn't much room there....
Yeah, the intake is a beast on these 8.1's. Like i said before, i could pour a 5 gallon bucket of quarters in this engine bay and about $1.25 would hit the floor.......definately not much room in there!!
Old 10-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

2004SSS is thinking what I was thinking. But I would remove the rear air inlet section all toghether. Get the new blower mounted up if it can, by making new adaptor plate, inlarging your mount holes, etc etc. Then mount the throttle body on the Passenger side, and fab out a new elbow air inlet.
WE do an elbow for the lightnings 3.4whipple, and remove all the air inlets falnges etc. The 3.4 has a plate that I think chokes the blowers inlets down a little. Photo is for reference about the rear blower stuff.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
2004SSS is thinking what I was thinking. But I would remove the rear air inlet section all toghether. Get the new blower mounted up if it can, by making new adaptor plate, inlarging your mount holes, etc etc. Then mount the throttle body on the Passenger side, and fab out a new elbow air inlet.
WE do an elbow for the lightnings 3.4whipple, and remove all the air inlets falnges etc. The 3.4 has a plate that I think chokes the blowers inlets down a little. Photo is for reference about the rear blower stuff.
This is starting to sound a little clearer and make a little more sense to me now. I believe making the bottom mounting plate to bolt to the bottom of the 2.9L/3.3L blower....then attaching my original mounting plate off of the 2.3L blower to that would be easy enough. At the most it would raise the height of the blower up another 1/2", but thats not a big deal. The width of the 2.3L, 2.9L, and 3.3L blowers are all within a few MM, so that should not present an issue either. What i need is a picture of a bunch of 3.3L blower intake adapters to see which one would work best for my situation. I could pick one with a 90* (to the passenger side) elbow, hack off the TB plate and weld on a 4" pipe to wrap around the back just like the plastic one does now, then weld on either my 2.3L TB adapter or a 3.3L GM TB adapter to that and bolt my TB to it.

Is the 3.3L intake adapter larger to allow more incoming air? Would i need to upgrade my induction system to allow for the bigger blower? It all makes sense when i stare at the computer screen, but when i go to the garage and look at the truck....it all gets fuzzy again LOL.

Again, what i would also need to know (and most importantly), is the length of ther 3.3L blower with this 90* adapter bolted to it.

Last edited by Whippled 496; 10-19-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

maybe something like this....

This is what whipple should have done from the beginning anyway instead of trying to power a 8.1L with only a 2.3L blower.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats what i was thinking pictured above.

i also like the idea of the 3.3 on your big *** motor but getting it to fit would be the fun part. its possible just alot more work.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2004SSS
thats what i was thinking pictured above.

i also like the idea of the 3.3 on your big *** motor but getting it to fit would be the fun part. its possible just alot more work.
Actually i think it would be easier to get the 3.3L rather than the 2.9L to work now that i am checking all the specs. The 3.3L is shorter than the 2.9L, just a little thicker case. I would rather have the 3.3L in there for sure. I need to find a used 3.3L blower to experiment with and make some adapters.

Hey Rick,
If i gave you the measurements, how much (ball park) would it cost to get a intake adapter fab'ed up like the picture above? I assume you have access to a 3.3L Whipple? It could be one or two pieces that would:

1. Bolt to the intake side of the 3.3L blower.
2. 90* to the passenger side to a 4" tube.
3. 90* down towards the front of the truck with a GM TB adapter plate welded on to accept the TB.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:56 PM
Truck Sponsor

Around 600.00 dollar for a sheet metal elbow. This one probably alot less, because you will need to build the TUBE and Throttle body areas and the over all material will be less. No I do not have access to that blower any more, is the 3.3 the same as a 3.4. If so I have a template for the 3.4. What nice about a fabbed one, you can make it as large as you need, + the inlet where you need it. Its probably going to be tight in there but a quick look over the area you would be removing from tbody and the stock stuff should have enough room for a new air linet.
I would see if whipple would lend you a case for mock up, even a blown up unit for mock it fine.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Around 600.00 dollar for a sheet metal elbow. This one probably alot less, because you will need to build the TUBE and Throttle body areas and the over all material will be less. No I do not have access to that blower any more, is the 3.3 the same as a 3.4. If so I have a template for the 3.4. What nice about a fabbed one, you can make it as large as you need, + the inlet where you need it. Its probably going to be tight in there but a quick look over the area you would be removing from tbody and the stock stuff should have enough room for a new air linet.
I would see if whipple would lend you a case for mock up, even a blown up unit for mock it fine.
So you are saying a lot less than $600 for the whole piece? That includes everything except hardware to bolt it to the blower and bolt the TB to the other end? I dont know if the 3.3L and the 3.4L are the same as they only advertise the 3.3L on their website.....I would assume they are the same though. You can look at the 3.3L PDF they have to see if the measurements are the same though.

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...dimensions.pdf

I am going to try and get ahold of Whipple again tomorrow to see if there is anything they can give me to use as a template like you suggested and go from there.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Truck Sponsor

Alot less for the part that is attaching to the blower. There is no way I could build the rest without a vehicle setting here to take measurements, and trial fits. Even the rear elbow part will require several back and forths from you and myself. Not to mention lots of measuring.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Alot less for the part that is attaching to the blower. There is no way I could build the rest without a vehicle setting here to take measurements, and trial fits. Even the rear elbow part will require several back and forths from you and myself. Not to mention lots of measuring.
I guess the part that attaches to the blower is all i would really need anyway, the rest i could make myself. So the part attaching to the blower wouldn't have the 90* built into it? Should be as simple as letting you know how much room i have from the back of the blower casing to the firewall, then you guys making the adapter with the 90* and 4" pipe stub on it so it will clear.......right?

Anyway, i am getting a little ahead of myself here. I need to make sure the 3.3L will sit in there and clear everything first, make sure i can fab a lower plate to mate with my current bracket and discharge manifold, make sure once that is done that my pulley lines up, THEN worry about the intake adapter.

Quick Reply: New Whipple 2.9L compressor, 175AX