FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Max effort... Turbo vs big Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Max effort... Turbo vs big Procharger

So I have a twin turbo kit already I purchased that needs some work. I debating going this route or a F1d with hob bracketry just for simplicity. It will be a flex fuel setup so fuel systems either way will be the same. Just found out about the dedicated drive set up that hob offers and thats got me all messed up. Truck has a pretty decent cam in it so it's gonna be noisy as all get out with procharger. But I'm old school... Lol. Has anyone run that setup or the larger f series like f1c? If so thoughts on it, any issues you have had. Also debated f1x unit and running a wg for a boost controller..

The twins are a t3/4 hybrid not sure of exact specs. I'm sure there is much better stuff out there, but these would be decent at the moment. I have to rebuild the manifolds they are cracked. The previous owner didn't have any supports to hold turbo..

Old 02-13-2014, 01:02 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

problem with a waste gate with a blower is unlike a turbo you are still creating driveline losses.

If its max effort go turbo.

Look up blown06... he has a really extensive procharged max effort build thread going.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:22 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know what compressor size the turbos are?

If the turbos are sized right for your motor, I don't see why bother switching. Crank up the boost and let them eat! Or sell all that and go with a bigger single turbo.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

I'm just shootin for 800-1000@ wheel nothin really rediculous. I say that now and it will probly snowball heavily.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your going to do the procharger F series route for simplicity your in for a big surprise. imo its going to take work to get a big blower to work well/properly in a truck. just ask any of the guys in here running big power with a procharger set up .
Old 02-13-2014, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

That's reason for the post, I'm hoping those guys chime in. Also in my experience the the turbos are considerably more work. I would like to try to stay away from a cog drive as well. Unless an absolute must to run the f series

Last edited by lsxperformance; 02-13-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

probably have to be a fl-a or fl-r i think the fl-x would be good in a car or lighter vehicle.

I may have them all confused. If you go with the HOB setup for that kind of power level you will likely need to change the charge piping and only really utilze the bracket and head unit.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would do a f1a on a dedicated 8 rib set up any blower bigger then that i think procharger recommends a dedicated cog drive other wise you will have belt problems hell i was having belt problems on my 8 rib set up with a D1 .
Old 02-13-2014, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default f1

imo f1 is just to much for a street truck and unlike turbo you cant get by with out forged internals .we ran the f series on our mustang and we keep having problems(breaking ****) .you really got to have a real nice fuel system for f series. NOW WITH THAT SAID I am not bashing prochargers big power.just think a d1 is more than plenty for a truck
Old 02-13-2014, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

I was seriously thinking the F1d blower it comes in sooner than the f1a. I will build 4" aluminum piping and intercooler ill probly do a really thick front mount.

I started looking at blown 06 build... 30 pages in I lost interest lol...

My truck is awd will get a built 80 and tcase mod for my awd t case. Will be runnin boost referencing fuel system on e85. It will be a forged 6.0L with my top end I have now. And the normal steering mods. I'm thinking of doin this setup. I will probly fix the twin kit, And sell. So keep an eye out for it if your interested. Use that to help fund this fiasco. I'm a lil OCD so I'm sure will take me a while.

Quick Reply: Max effort... Turbo vs big Procharger