FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Looking to go Turbo, need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to go Turbo, need help

I have a 2007 classic crew cab VMax. I have FBO and a custom cam and getting ready to 80e swap. I'm wanting to go turbo and have been looking at turbo kits, particularly this GM Stage 3 kit ( Stage 3 GM turbo kit. ) . I don't want some cheap kit that doesn't come with quality parts. So my first question is is this kit a good one? I've pretty much selected all the upgrade options including the turbo to a Precision 7675 which puts the kit just over $5,000. Can I piece together my own kit cheaper? Basically building around the Precision 7675? If so what are good quality turbo manifolds for my truck, what size inetercooler do i need, what size/brand wastegate? I basically have no experience with turbos, so i'm looking to learn from yalls experience. All in all, is this kit worthy and good for $5k? or can I piece it together cheaper, or with better quality parts around the same price or cheaper?
Old 01-25-2016, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chadjcompton
1.) So my first question is is this kit a good one? I've pretty much selected all the upgrade options including the turbo to a Precision 7675 which puts the kit just over $5,000. 2.) Can I piece together my own kit cheaper? Basically building around the Precision 7675? 3.) If so what are good quality turbo manifolds for my truck, 4.) what size inetercooler do i need, 5.) what size/brand wastegate? I basically have no experience with turbos, so i'm looking to learn from yalls experience. 6.) All in all, is this kit worthy and good for $5k? 7.) or can I piece it together cheaper, or with better quality parts around the same price or cheaper?
These are just my opinions, but...
1.) Yes it's of sufficient quality to put a smile on your face.
2.) Yes if you have the tools and are able to fabricate you can use better parts for roughly the same cost...but it will require time and effort. If you put a price tag on your time then it might not be cheaper. May be cheaper if you shop smart. For me, I am OK withing spending more (if necessary) to use the exact parts I want though and not be restricted to a premade kit.
3.) Equal length divided housings are the "good quality" ones you'd want, but I've yet to see any available that weren't custom made by the person. Log style manifolds are "meh" at best, but they'll get the job done.
4.) Depends on your power goals. Not all intercoolers are created equal so sizing can vary depending on which brand you use.
5.) I'm partial to Tial though I think I'm going to use a Precision on my upcoming build if I continue to read positive reviews about it. Still kind of toss up and may just use the Tial since I've had good experiences with them. I've heard decent things about the TurboSmart units as well though too. In terms of size, the norm seems to be a 44 or 46 unit. Placement is more important than the size though. Most manifolds on the market don't place it in the most efficient spot in my opinion, but they seem to get the job done.
6.) Yes it's sufficient for $5k.
7.) See #2.

Last edited by DuncR6; 01-25-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

that kit is an upgrade from mine and I love mine. You will make plenty of power and love it. Trick Kits fit perfectly. Easy installs.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I make Turbo kits as well as sell parts if you want to build part of it yourself to save some money.

As far as Log manifolds are "meh" and WG position in these truck kits, I've got many 4 digit horse power guys to prove other wise!! lol. Never seen a divided housing setup make anymore power or spool faster then my log manifolds and I've built a TON of them.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:10 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love noobs and how they have no clue to history of the Log....

To the OP if you can fab yes can be done cheaper by not paying for your labor, price for parts are gonna be the same
Old 01-25-2016, 06:02 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by chadjcompton
I have a 2007 classic crew cab VMax. I have FBO and a custom cam and getting ready to 80e swap. I'm wanting to go turbo and have been looking at turbo kits, particularly this GM Stage 3 kit ( Stage 3 GM turbo kit. ) . I don't want some cheap kit that doesn't come with quality parts. So my first question is is this kit a good one? I've pretty much selected all the upgrade options including the turbo to a Precision 7675 which puts the kit just over $5,000. Can I piece together my own kit cheaper? Basically building around the Precision 7675? If so what are good quality turbo manifolds for my truck, what size inetercooler do i need, what size/brand wastegate? I basically have no experience with turbos, so i'm looking to learn from yalls experience. All in all, is this kit worthy and good for $5k? or can I piece it together cheaper, or with better quality parts around the same price or cheaper?
You selected the best kit!
To start with what's your power goals?
Do you pull a trailer?
What's the truck gonna be used for?

That will tell me what upgrades if any you may need.

You can also piece a kit together and possibly save yourself some. How much can't say too many variables.
One thing to count when comparing kits, parts, prices. Is your time. What's it worth?

Feel free to call me to go over your needs and build.
940-781-5204
Rick
Old 01-25-2016, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kbracing96
As far as Log manifolds are "meh" and WG position in these truck kits, I've got many 4 digit horse power guys to prove other wise!! lol. Never seen a divided housing setup make anymore power or spool faster then my log manifolds and I've built a TON of them.

Originally Posted by George C....
I love noobs and how they have no clue to history of the Log....
I figured that would get a rise out of people lol Full disclosure; I'll be doing a log style myself, but people here can't really think there is no benefit to a equal length divided manifold over a log can they?
Old 01-25-2016, 06:37 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DuncR6
I figured that would get a rise out of people lol Full disclosure; I'll be doing a log style myself, but people here can't really think there is no benefit to a equal length divided manifold over a log can they?
Benifit of lots of welding practice.
I would say most builds no real world benefit.

Only way to tell on 1 engine.
Build a set up log and other.
Dyno it.
Same boost psi, same day
With all conditions the same and compare.
Then compare the cost difference in the 2.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TrickTurbo
I would say most builds no real world benefit.
Interesting that that is the thought here. Fair enough...carry on.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TrickTurbo
One thing to count when comparing kits, parts, prices. Is your time. What's it worth?
this really sums it up.
I built my twin kit for next to nothing...if you dont count the tig welder i bought a few years ago, and the time i spent doing it.
but i love making stuff and welding is my moment of zen, so i wouldnt want it any other way. most people dont feel that way.