FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

keep shredding belts , what have you done to fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question keep shredding belts , what have you done to fix this?

well guys im not quite sure why its doing it but i keep loosing ribs on my belt. im pretty sure that i have the pulleys all aligned pretty good , i used a piece of 1/4 thick angle aluminum to see where all the pulleys were to each other and they all seem to be close to spot on. what seems to be happening is im loosing a rib or 2 at a time off the front of the belt (closest to the radiator ) back ribs seem to be fine but they seem to creep forward a rib or two after a WOT pull under normal driving it seems to stay put.
the only 3 things i can think of it 1: the procharger bracket if flexing under power , which i know it flexes i can pull on it and move it 1/8 -1/4 inch or 2: my tensioner isnt springing back fast enough to catch the belt, which in that case is there a manual tensioner for our trucks ? i would love to try it out and see if it would work. 3: my water pump pulley the belt rides pretty close to the edge and im wondering if maybe when the belt gets tension on it if it creeps over the edge creating it to hop over the crank pulleys shoulder and shred it.
those are the only things i have been able to come up with , any help will be greatly appreciated , i know a couple of you guys have been down this route and if any of you could give me pointers on what you have done that would be awesome.
i have also braced the back of my bracket with a piece of iron from the bottom of the back bracket to the head .
Old 11-05-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would start by making a strong bracket for the procharger.. if you can move it.. its gonna move. haha..

If that doesnt work.. um... well.. werent you looking at goin turbo not long ago?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you tried slightly smaller belt??
Old 11-05-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the belt i have on now is pretty hard to get on and the next one down is a inch shorter lol.

And nonnie the turbo thought is still in the back of my head i know i can sell both of my head units and 8 rib stuff , long tubes and all the other procharger stuff and have and have a hefty amount of cash to do a sick turbo set up but im not ready to jump ship yet.... lol
Old 11-05-2012, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try getting a slightly bigger tensioner pulley if you can't fit a smaller belt in there,I had that problem too and having the belt as tight as possible worked for me.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

What brand belt and is it a stock tensioner?
Old 11-05-2012, 09:35 PM

Katech makes a bad azz tensioner bout 120 but it works great I have had a d1 had the same problem but put that katech on never had a problem good luck
Old 11-05-2012, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got a gates micro v belt. I also have a hd tensioner on a magnuson bracket that has been cut up.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Baltimore Whore

Did you do that vented/fluted blower pulley? I have read they are pretty tuff on belts.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Did you do that vented/fluted blower pulley? I have read they are pretty tuff on belts.
Yeah i have a riechard racing pulley but i dont think thats the problem because its only shredding 1 rib at a time and it seems like its ripping horizontally with the ribs and not across the belt.

Quick Reply: keep shredding belts , what have you done to fix this?