FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

IAT wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 05:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IAT wiring question

I just installed my IAT sensor on the boosted side and am all ready to wire it in. One question though. There are two wires coming from the sensor to the pigtail. It looks like one is a ground and the other has to be the signal it is sending. What about power? Since it's sending an electronic signal, shouldn't there be a power connection? Or no? Just wondering if I can send the non ground wire straight to the PCM.

The sensor i bought is right here: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/o...a8f8739da3aaa2

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:42 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foxySS
One question though. There are two wires coming from the sensor to the pigtail. It looks like one is a ground and the other has to be the signal it is sending. What about power? Since it's sending an electronic signal, shouldn't there be a power connection? Or no?
One is a ground but it is still run to the PCM. The PCM just measure resistance to ground rather than the voltage returned like a three wire set-up.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:21 AM
On The Tree

I thought there was only one wire: http://www.yarnell.org/pcm/ Pin 25 on the green harness? But still, what about the non-ground wire?
Old 10-17-2006, 07:28 AM
Staging Lane

not to jack a tread but what is the iat for exactly, and would it be a good idea to get one??
Old 10-17-2006, 08:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Intake air temp. Very important for forced induction.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
Intake air temp. Very important for forced induction.
thanks. i gess i need one then.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:20 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foxySS
I thought there was only one wire: http://www.yarnell.org/pcm/ Pin 25 on the green harness? But still, what about the non-ground wire?
I just relized you are 03. My diagram is for a 2000. I still think the ground wire is returned to the PCM.
On my diagram it has "IAT SIG" as pin 8 and is tan, the other wire for the IAT is Black in color and is pin 28 as "SENS GND"
Yours will be different.
Can you get a diagram of the MAF to show the pin numbers or fallow the ground wire to the PCM to know what ground pin it is?
Old 10-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NubzSS
thanks. i gess i need one then.
what vehicle do you have?...not to continue to hijack, but all of our gm trucks have the IAT in the MAF already wired. If you went to centrifigal SC or turbo (or any FI where the MAF isn't relocated by the FI manufacturer), relocating the MAF is always a good idea...to some.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
what vehicle do you have?...not to continue to hijack, but all of our gm trucks have the IAT in the MAF already wired. If you went to centrifigal SC or turbo (or any FI where the MAF isn't relocated by the FI manufacturer), relocating the MAF is always a good idea...to some.
i have the 03 whippled ss. same situation as foxyss..
Old 10-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Hello Dave

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As per the radix instructions, it doesn't matter which wire from the MAF IAT harness (the black and tan wires) goes to the new IAT sensor. As wilde racing said, all it does is measure resistance, so either wire will work.

Check out this PDF, http://www.magnacharger.com/pdf/manu...00-2003-06.pdf, around page 49.

Quick Reply: IAT wiring question