FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Finishing up my Radix install. Few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finishing up my Radix install tomorrow.

Well,

I think tomorrow I will be ready to fire this bitch up. All in all I extremely pleased with the magnacharger kit. Kit came with everything I needed plus a few extras. Tech support was extremely helpful when I phoned last week too.

It's taking me about a week. I had taken a vacation from work so I could do the install, shop for Xmas, do other errrands, etc. so the whole time wasn't spent on the install but good chunchs of hours here and there.

Alot of things I didn't expect to take as long as they did. Not casting blame just ranting.

Biggest gripe I had about the kit was the documentation deficiancies I found. Steps left out, references to step numbers that didn't make sense. Couple of times I had to go on to the website to look at the diiferent model install docs to figure out stuff that was missed or reconcile the incorrect references, etc.

My rant:
-Took a while to get the damn injector clips out/off
-Couldn't get the damn evap puge connector off
-Broke a bolt on the EGR

-Scrapped the rust of the heads followed by cleaning & vaccumming
-Attempted to clean the intake ports

Dissatisfied :disguist: with the oil soaked dirtiness of my intake ports I then decided to explore the rest of the engine topside and:
-removed the coil packs
-removed and cleaned the vavle covers
-removed and checked the gap on the plugs
-broke a NGK Iridium plug (only a year old)
-broke a Taylor 10.4mm wire (only a year old)
-Removed the rockers to close all the valves
-Seafoamed/Cleaned/vaccummed; BrakeCleaned/clean/vacuum; repeated this twice more
-Broke my vaccuum
-Almost put the blower on without noticing blocking the two rear coolant vent holes; no instruction to do so.
-Put the blower on by myself only to have the damn gaskets keep falling out so had to wait for my brother to help hold the one side while I did the other
-Decided to now paint the coil brackets, coils, valve covers and TB since I had them off.
-Took longer than it should forever to break loose the rusted fuel lines, replace the filter adn assemble the pump.

All in all I like the kit very much and would recommend it to others. Hopefully I have success when I go to fire this thing up tomorrow.

Couple of questions;

I know I have to modify my MAF connector/wires to go to the front of the blowere, but am I am assuming I have to slice and extend my TPS and IAC connector to the TB as well No instructions to do so but they clearly do no reach; I did notice they provided alot of extra wire and alot of the heat shrink butt connectors.

Where do I get the female torx socket to remove the TB studs?

Does the manifold really only require 89 in-lbs? I tightened it more by hand. Not crazy...just snug..like you would do spark plugs. I tried 89 in-lbs (7.4ft-lbs) and it was like nothing. Can I leave it the way I currently have it. It's probably only in the 11 ft-lbs range.

Last edited by BLASTER; 12-28-2005 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

^^^ I don't see any questions in that post
Old 12-27-2005, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Still writing. never meant to hit the "submit" yet. going on my rant
Old 12-28-2005, 12:21 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BLASTER
Couple of questions;

I know I have to modify my MAF connector/wires to go to the front of the blowere, but am I am assuming I have to slice and extend my TPS and IAC connector to the TB as well No instructions to do so but they clearly do no reach; I did notice they provided alot of extra wire and alot of the heat shrink butt connectors.

Where do I get the female torx socket to remove the TB studs?

Does the manifold really only require 89 in-lbs? I tightened it more by hand. Not crazy...just snug..like you would do spark plugs. I tried 89 in-lbs (7.4ft-lbs) and it was like nothing. Can I leave it the way I currently have it. It's probably only in the 11 ft-lbs range.
Answer to the first question is yes, if you have any problems with the instructions, check our site....they are on there....You may have gotten the newer truck book by mistake. The wire included is for the IAC and TPS....be sure to hook them up correctly and check all connections.

YES YES YES on the 89 inch pounds, this is VERY VERY important....Be sure to use a nice criss cross method and check them after a few heat cycles.

Congrats on your install, sounds like you did an outstanding job.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was definately going to do the check after a few heat cycles. Buddy who ownes a cobra gave me that heads up.

Should I back the bolts off then a retighten to 89inlbs. I actually tightend it more that 89 inlbs by hand.

I assumed this convention with the bolts
10<--->9
8<--->7
6<--->5
4<--->3
2<--->1

And went in this order for two passes 1-10-9-2-7-4-3-8-5-6

thanks!
Old 12-28-2005, 12:33 AM
blownerator

89 inch pounds is MORE than enough...you risk damaging the manifold with much more. No need to back them off, just do a go-round with the TQ wrench and make sure they are all at 89in/lb.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. I will do so for final checks tomorrow.

I need a set of good aluminum heads now.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:40 AM
blownerator

Thanks. I will do so for final checks tomorrow.

I need a set of good aluminum heads now.

those ole iron heads are not bad....just heavy! Keep your eye in the classifieds for a nice set of 317's.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I see the 317 mention alot. Is that the aluminum version?
Old 12-28-2005, 12:49 AM
blownerator

I see the 317 mention alot. Is that the aluminum version?

yepper! Nice heads, send them out to WCCH and have them worked over a bit

Quick Reply: Finishing up my Radix install. Few questions