FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Electric Superchargers (No, really...)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big post

Please allow me to further arify this original man's question he is basically talking about not hooking this electric turbo to the charging system to the truck at all he wants it to have its own lithium battery packs for bursts of boost during daily driving I'm assuming he wouls use a servo or solenoid to open another intake and close it when cutting on boost and the real question is how much air-flow would 15 HP of electric motors create vs a 323 Chevrolet engine. My personal opinion is that it would take more electrical horsepower than that for exteded times but if you were not scared to burn up some very expensive escs (electronic speed controllers) and used a lot of battery like 44.8 volts to 2 mamba max motors you'd might be able to equivilate enough air pressure for 3-20 seconds without burning up stuff, these motors create an amazing ratio of weight power torque and rpm, therefore I understand your reason for wondering this the truth is I'm not the man with the numbers for that I apologize do I believe it could work yes, although I believe you would need at least 4 7.5 HP brushless motors by castle creations to make enough OSI to really be worth anything and that would be my best guess to make 5-7 psi for only a short time push button boost, boost is great but if it would work you would spend just as much or more than an system rear mount for bout 6 7 grand. 4 castle motors and escs bout 3 grand, building ducting with solenoid trap door 200 maybe fuel compensation ie computer tune bigger injectors boost fuel pump 1 2 grand hooking the solenoid to throttle on tx remote controlling the motors a big headache, 4 22.2 volt 6s batteries probably 5 to 900, remote 100, and that's not including how to move the air ie the (compressor) mechanism use the cold side of a turbo but the you'd wanna be picky about the specific turbo u use because of impeller weight , rpm vs air flow and the drive system from electronics motors to turbo, would I like to try it if I were loaded yes realistically though the headache I get is big when I think about trying, that's cause its complicated and expensive vs other cheapeur and simpler options. I say go for it though u might start a trend at best no money in it
Old 03-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Oh yeah and methanol, wastegate blow off valve like I said it'd be just as expensive or worse,, and u don't get it unless ur batts are charged lol
Old 05-16-2013, 02:13 AM
Staging Lane

This got me thinking about an article I read a few years back about the then new(ish) Mercedes E55 with the roots supercharger. That car makes nearish 500 hp from the factory, using just shy of 12 lbs of boost.

Mercedes claimed in that article that the SC was very efficient.. (blah blah) consumed less than 1/3 hp at 60 mph.. (blah blah) stuff everyone expects...

Then they admitted that (if memory serves) 130ish hp was required just to spin the blower and make 12 lbs of boost. The 12 lbs of boost was enough to bring overall output of the motor near 500 hp (thus, the gain outweighed the loss... woot).

I dont think making any appreciable gains in power with an electric SC is at all feasible. Using the above Merc as an example, I call it impossible from a practicality standpoint to setup 100+ hp worth of electric motors to push air in to it. I suppose one could tear apart a Tesla and put its drivetrain in front of your throttle body... thats totally feasible..
Old 05-16-2013, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

The only legit electric supercharger ever, the Thomas Knight electric supercharger:

Thomas Knight Turbo Electric Supercharger - Tech Review - Turbo Magazine

basically looks like a Eaton M90 with 3 starters bolted to it. lol
Old 05-16-2013, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The efficiency of electrical components is so low that its not practical to do this. Could you get it to work? Yea i bet you could, but its goin to be short lived.