FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Electric Superchargers (No, really...)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by highamperage

I am not one of these people that think I can run my vehicle on water by performing electrolysis to get hydrogen...
Actually, supplementing your engine with this works. Only time I ever got over 19MPG in my truck consistently, before my cam/head swap, was running a electrolysis "fuel cell" ... this was back when I was young and stupid, willing to build something that held water and lye, and pipe it into my intake.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:50 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys say it is too much work/cost for what you get...

But (besides the obvious that it would be a rigged up POS) why couldnt you strap a leaf blower under the hood and run it off a power inverter/battery/whatever.

That idea would be for WOT racing apps or something, obviously not R&D'd enough for daily driving.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A Low Dime
You guys say it is too much work/cost for what you get...

But (besides the obvious that it would be a rigged up POS) why couldnt you strap a leaf blower under the hood and run it off a power inverter/battery/whatever.

That idea would be for WOT racing apps or something, obviously not R&D'd enough for daily driving.
It all goes back to what I've been saying. I don't know if I'm being ignored or what, but once again... You can just "plug" something up to your vehicle's electrical and expect it to support it. AMPS, and I'm not talking about the things that you hook up to your speakers. When someone suggests that you just "run something off of a battery", that makes sense to a certain extent, but that's like saying, why can't my fridge run off of my computer's USB port? The USB powers my phone charger, so why can't I plug my fridge, welder, drill, and TV to it? It doesn't work like that. There are A LOT of out-of-the-box thinkers, and still, no one is doing this in a real application, except out of ***** and giggles. Hypothetically, it all works perfectly but realistically, it's a fail. Period.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:35 AM
TECH Veteran

I wish I could say I read all this but I am still trying to get that ******* song out of my head from the video above...
Old 03-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Well, I found a ducted fan unit that will move 3000CFM... I'm tempted to put it in and see what happens...It's hard to imagine it wouldn't help at all, especially at low rpms... I should get one and play with it... and if/when it doesn't work.... install it in a ridiculously fast R/C airplane.

It produces around 10lbs of thrust while moving 3000CFM, and is 3.5" diameter... the area is around 9 square inches, so I don't know if it works this way.. but that leads me to believe it would build up a little more than 1 lb of boost. I am not sure what good 1lbs of boost would do? (Anyone know?)
Old 03-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres a Company that takes the cold side of a small turbo and installs a large, high rpm electric motor on the other side turning the shaft..They sell them for $500..I know of one video out where a 1.5l motor made 2-3 psi and picked up 35hp...Nitrous really does the same thing you are looking for if you think about it....and works
Old 03-11-2012, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by highamperage
I see alot of electric "Superchargers" on ebay and such that looks like that probably actually reduce power, but it got me thinking... why wouldn't it work in principal?

Does anyone know how much power is required to operate a supercharger?

With new (and cheap) brushless electric motors than can output a ton of power at high rpms... it seems like it might be possible to build at least a low boost system that uses a small high voltage battery pack that is recharged slowly from the main automotive battery.

My thought is to use (3) 1600kv motors (max RPM is 57k, 5HP each) in a star pattern around a main gear which is used to turn the supercharger. The advantage would be no parasitic losss when not in use and can be put in any position in any vehicle... If i were to use highoutput Lipoly cells, it could run the super charger for 2-3 mins, and then be recharged in about 30 mins.

What are your thoughts?
Originally Posted by CC05
If it really worked, engineers would already be all over this. Trust me. I don't know about here, but it's been explained ten fold on other forums I've been on. Just do some hard research, and you'll find exactly why not a single sould successfully runs an electric supercharger setup anywhere in the world. Your vehicle's electrical system could by no means keep up with the drainage a brushless motor like that would produce. The alternator would put such a load on the engine to create the amps for these brushless motors, that you'd essentially have a pile of **** for an engine by the time you properly fed all of these motors. It takes HP to make electricity. 100 HP is like 75KW. Say your truck does 14 volts. 100 HP = 5,000 amps from the alternator to power such a supercharger. 5,000 amps / 120 amp alternator = 41 2/3 alternators, just for 100 HP. You'd be better off buying a NOS sticker and a big spoiler. On the other hand, you could've just bought my NX kit for $325 shipped. It would get you 150 HP, last 2 or 3 minutes, and be filled back up in under 30 minutes. Just saying.
I think an alternator (on average) uses about 1hp to generate about 25amps, so every 100 amps = 4 hp. Therefore to create 100hp worth of boost, the alternator(s) capable of producing the proposed 5000 amps of current would consume 200hp. So you would be producing 100hp at a cost of 200hp. If that makes any sense. Alternators are easy to spin, so long as there's no load being placed on them. Once they're put under load, they become exponentially harder to spin.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

those electric "superchargers" exist for one reason and one reason only...to empty the wallets of gullible and ignorant people. if you want to make more power, do it right, it will cost money and take work but you will see real results.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DR132
those electric "superchargers" exist for one reason and one reason only...to empty the wallets of gullible and ignorant people. if you want to make more power, do it right, it will cost money and take work but you will see real results.
Oh but didn't you hear the cool fly by sound when you pull up their webpage? That screams performance.
e-Racing :: OFFICIAL SITE :: The e-RAM Electric Supercharger from e-Racing Motorsports
Old 03-12-2012, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Didn't read all the posts so excuse me if it's already been said but what if instead of battery packs use a converter to like 120v? I had a procharger head unit that screamed when I put an electric drill to it. Drill just ran off of the house plug and was variable. I have used the same drill with a 12v converter and still spins the same rpm and torque. My way is different then I guess what everyone else is and instead of using amps that suck down the alternator change to higher volts. If it were any way possible using a procharger would be the easiest. That way you just find a high torque drill that spins around the same rpm as a engine and let the gear train in the procharger unit do the rest. Idk just thinking out loud. Would be kinda fun to mess with but I still prefer still doing things the regular right way lol.

Quick Reply: Electric Superchargers (No, really...)