FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

DP size VS. exhaust size

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DP size VS. exhaust size

truck currently has a 3" downpipe and full 3" exhaust with a 30" magnaflow that exits in front of the rear tire. . right now, the wastegate is open to atmosphere because boost could not be controlled very well at all with it routed back into the exhaust. it is annoyingly loud when the wastegate opens, and i want to route it back into the exhaust. would keeping the 3" downpipe and going to 4" exhaust be ideal?
Old 11-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

The lower the post-turbo back pressure is, the more boost it will make. What size is the wastegate, and how is it routed? And at what boost level does it overboost?
Old 11-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

What problem where you having with boost control.
Having full 3"exhaust will give more BP forcing the gate to open easier. Venting to atmosphere is freakishly loud. And should give you a slightly higher boost reading.

But as far as control the final number may change but the amount of swing change will be the same.
--
I would do a min. of 3.5 for the final exhaust.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Would boost creep 2-3 psi in 1st gear and another 2-3 in 2nd. With the waste gate open to atmosphere boost holds steady at 12psi and has a 2psi spike on the 2-3 shift and drops right back down to 12.
This is a stage 2 trick kit with a 70mm turbo and a 39mm wastegate
Old 11-15-2013, 05:51 PM
Truck Sponsor

Using a boost controller?
Old 11-15-2013, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I have the same kit and currently have full 3 inch but a 40 series flow master muffler. I also have the WG open dump. It holds what ever boost I set it to through the exhaust. I have never put the WG dump into the exhaust but I would think it would make more boost because its not as free flowing as an open WG would be.

I just bought all new 3 in pipes and a 30 in Magnaflow exhaust muffler that I will be putting on. I will leave the WG spring alone and see what it does. Im guessing the magnaflow muffler will flow more than the flowmaster so it will make more boost. Whenever I get around to getting the new exhaust on ill post up

Again I think the open dump helps control the boost more. Who cares if its loud, your in the throttle already if the gate is opening right?
Old 11-15-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like I see a lot of people sizing up the exhaust after the downpipe. Like go to 4" exhaust out the back after their 3" downpipe. Whats the logic of this?
Old 11-15-2013, 08:07 PM
Truck Sponsor

I would leave in the exhaust. I like it quiet.
And drop the gate spring down so you get the final boost you want.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
Using a boost controller?
Manual boost controller

Originally Posted by Choda
I have the same kit and currently have full 3 inch but a 40 series flow master muffler. I also have the WG open dump. It holds what ever boost I set it to through the exhaust. I have never put the WG dump into the exhaust but I would think it would make more boost because its not as free flowing as an open WG would be.
My thoughts exactly

I just bought all new 3 in pipes and a 30 in Magnaflow exhaust muffler that I will be putting on. I will leave the WG spring alone and see what it does. Im guessing the magnaflow muffler will flow more than the flowmaster so it will make more boost. Whenever I get around to getting the new exhaust on ill post up

Again I think the open dump helps control the boost more. Who cares if its loud, your in the throttle already if the gate is opening right?
it gets into boost with very little throttle input. The waste gate starts to open just getting on the freeway sometimes, or if I have to jump on the throttle a little bit to pass a car. This turbo spools very quick
Old 11-16-2013, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kelsey_canard
Seems like I see a lot of people sizing up the exhaust after the downpipe. Like go to 4" exhaust out the back after their 3" downpipe. Whats the logic of this?
my thinking is with th wastegate routed into the exhaust, im outflowing what this 3" exhaust can handle, causing more exhaust to run through the turbo then through the wastegate causing the boost creep issue.

the reason i say this is because there is no overboost issue when i was running 8-9psi boost. this issue started immediatley after turning up the boost to 12psi.

Quick Reply: DP size VS. exhaust size