FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Direct fit 2 or 3 bar map sensor for nnbs

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 06:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direct fit 2 or 3 bar map sensor for nnbs

Hi, like the title says
I'm looking for a part number for a direct fit 2 or 3 bar map sensor for a nnbs truck manifold.

Also is there a dis advantage to a 3 bar if you are only running 13psi?

Thank you for any help!
Old 09-25-2014, 06:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Turbo09
Hi, like the title says
I'm looking for a part number for a direct fit 2 or 3 bar map sensor for a nnbs truck manifold.

Also is there a dis advantage to a 3 bar if you are only running 13psi?

Thank you for any help!
Gen 3 can't use the zr1 3 bar without scaling. Best bet is to leave the stock 1 bar in place, but unplug and wire in old school gm 3 bar brick. You'll have an extra unused port off the intake you can cut the tip off and use for vacuum reference. 3 bar bricks can be had on ebay for $30 with pig tail.

I don't believe any truck tunes support 3 bar, only 2. I had to re flask with an 02 Camaro to get it. Which in my case left me with no column shift indicator (even with setting in hp) and ac doesn't work (not sure why yet. Think it just needs to be re pinned or wired).

If 13 psi is all you plan on running you should be fine. Hp is a funny thing though. You can never get enough, so the option to crank up the boost becomes pretty easy. That and if you over boost you can potentially damage your engine. I personally get the highest pressure sensor I can get.

Having issues with resolution on a bigger map sensor is a myth in my mind. Some may not agree buy I would point to all modern stand alone that have 4 bar capability and a handful of those ecus having 16x16 or 32x32 fuel maps. Those setups can have good low throttle response and good mpg. It's more of a tuning issue in my mind.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:35 AM
On The Tree

Great info thank you!

I know you said there are no direct replacement, do any just require cutting the wires?
And I will talk to my tuner about issues for him with a 3 bar
Old 09-25-2014, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

I'm also open to hear what other people are using or have done to adapt, easily tune able map's
Old 09-25-2014, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Turbo09
Great info thank you!

I know you said there are no direct replacement, do any just require cutting the wires?
And I will talk to my tuner about issues for him with a 3 bar
What i mean by direct replacement is that there isn't' a sensor that has the same physical dimensions, so it won't snap right into place or use the same pig tail. I think even the zr1 map is a little different than the stock 1 bar. I know you have to at least change the pig tail on the zr1.

the GM 3 bar brick is really easy. you cut the exiting 1 bar harness off and wire in the provided 3 bar brick pigtail. It's 3 wires. Power, ground and 5v signal. The sensor/pig tail comes with a wiring diagram.

You can check a pinout or just test the harness to figure out what the stock wiring is.

Map sensor:
AS210 Map Sensor GM 3 Bar Map Sensor Kit Turbo 3BAR 12223861 Manifold Pressure | eBay
Old 09-25-2014, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Couldn't be easier lol thank you!
Old 09-25-2014, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I use the zr1 map on my truck same harness and same physical demensions so not sure why you say it won't work?? With HPTuners you can get the zr1 map to work just fine. My tuner didn't have any issues but then again thats my tuner not sure how good yours is. Im on a speed density tune now with just a IAT sensor and the zr1 map and works great.

Last edited by Three6GMC; 09-25-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Three6GMC
I use the zr1 map on my truck same harness and same physical demensions so not sure why you say it won't work?? With HPTuners you can get the zr1 map to work just fine. My tuner didn't have any issues but then again thats my tuner not sure how good yours is. Im on a speed density tune now with just a IAT sensor and the zr1 map and works great.
I assume you're a gen 4?

Gen 3 can't use. The other thing is your tuner might have scaled everything. Other issue with gen 4 is that I think you're limited to 70 lb/hr injectors. Anything over requires scaling.

For folks that don't understand scaling. Basically let's say that you've got a max injector of 70 lbs/hr. You put in 140 lb/hr injectors. That means you have to scale all fuel maps by .50 or 50%

I could be wrong. Hp tuners might have pushed out an update. The issue with 3rd gen is that the range won't take a negative number. So with zr1 map at 0 volts = -10 kpa. 3rd gen will only go to 0. 4th gen will except a negative number. This equates to 2 psi. So if you hook up a zr1 map and leave it at zero and don't scale. Your ecu will be off 2 psi. Hope this makes sense.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Where does it say he is gen 3? Said its for a nnbs in the title and has "2009 CCSB 4x4 4.8 Trick Stage 2" in his signature?

Had 85lb injectors in my turbo 5.3 setup and on my turbo 6.2 setup and had perfect idle characteristics if it was scaled whats wrong with scaling?

Last edited by Three6GMC; 09-25-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Three6GMC
Where does it say he is gen 3? Said nnbs intake and has a 09 turbo crew cab in his signature?

My bad. Sig doesn't show on the mobil app.

Gen 4 will take a zr1 map.

Quick Reply: Direct fit 2 or 3 bar map sensor for nnbs