FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

D1SC Procharger Johnny Cash Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 02:44 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Well that sucks... what about the bed cover? There worth a few bucks. Insurance won't really give you anything for it either.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 280 Likes on 232 Posts

Holy hell man. Glad y'all are ok. So sorry to see that.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

So, we're not only back in business, it's game on. After the accident, I spoke to the towing company about getting parts off my truck. I gimped out there in the 25-30* weather and removed what I could. All the parts for the D1SC at least, DSX alcohol sensor, WBo2, boost gauge, CAI, tonneau, Supercooler, etc. Left a LOT of good parts on that truck. To add insult to literal injury, when we got back from my inlaws the D1SC had just arrived back from Procharger in fresh, rebuilt conditon, as well as a slew of other parts for the system and the truck in general.

Since we're building a house and I'm being 'financially responsible, I bought another NNBS that I could pay cash and not have a loan instead of getting the Sierra I really want. In February I bought a 2011 Sierra Denali with the 6.2 and AWD. Holy hell the 6.2 is so much more fun to drive. I think I tuned it within 1 hour of driving off the lot, ordered an MBRP kit for it, and did a basic fluids/filters change and plugs. My oldest has been around for 3 MBRP systems- 05 Colorado, 10 Sierra, and now 11 Sierra. The snow gives you an idea how warm it was during the install.

Last edited by HawkZ28; 11-10-2021 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Over the spring and summer, I installed the bracket, 2.5 bar map sensor, and a few weeks back I pinned the crank. I had to do CV shafts after 1 snapped pulling into the driveway 2 Friday's ago so I decided I'd begin to finish the install last Friday. Yes, I knew they were going bad so I had already ordered replacements from Amazon Warehouse months ago. I loved paying a LOT less because the box is damaged. I did find out with GM's AWD, once you snap a shaft you become the proud owner of a beached whale street ornament. Between end of season mowing, kids VB, BB, and cheer competitions, I was squeezing in 1-3 hours when I could over the weekend. Last night I got it 'done' enough to start the truck after 3 trips to Orielley's to get different sized belts. My bracket is for a 99-02, so the K01140 (114.5") belt was too long. K01130 (113.5") fit, but was at the loose end of the tensioner. K01120 (112.5") was perfect, and made the 25 mile drive to the closest store with it in stock worthwhile. After starting at 5pm, trying 3 different belt routings with each belt (NOT easy with the bracket), I was in the money finally at 11pm.

Today I swapped out the TR5IX plugs for TR6's gapped at .035 per procharger. Following that, I went to put the grill on and found out one side of the intercooler didn't have enough clearance even after trimming a couple parts off the grill (2 center lower grill mounts) I ended up rearranging the supercooler and OEM cooler, cutting out the hood latch support, and adjusting the passenger side routing of the intercooler. Following all of that the hood would close but not catch the latch, so I adjusted the catch up about 1/8-1/4". It catches and the hood looks 'closed', but I'd like to find a solution to tighten up that system.

Pictures below so far. I forgot to get some from tonight with the rearranging of the coolers. I'll snap some of those when I order and install new headlights. I'll report back once I get to drive it tomorrow a.m. as it will be my first time in boost with this truck.

Repurposed K&N CAI

Last edited by HawkZ28; 11-10-2021 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

6.2 supercharged always has a good ring to it! Glad things are turned around from where they were.
The following users liked this post:
HawkZ28 (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 01:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,435 Likes on 1,062 Posts

I don't see any pics phone or PC
Old 11-10-2021, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by arthursc2
I don't see any pics phone or PC
I uploaded and couldn't see from Brave browser until I disabled shields. I was using the [img]google photos picture address[/img] way to do photos in the post. I'll review and redo later tonight or tomorrow. I'll have to see what I did with the photos earlier in the post. Using same laptop and browser.

I did get to drive it this a.m., and HOLY CRAP it made it even better at part throttle as well. Got into boost around 3k. It's just stupid. Much more torquey cruising, and the whine is awesome. The last truck turned heads on looks and sound- cam, no cats, LTs and ORY paired to MBRP- this will be a true sleeper aside from the MBRP, which is pretty tame.

Had to take the truck back home and grab my wife's Escalade for work since the hood on the Denali was bouncing too much for my liking and didn't want it to let go when I'm doing 75-80 down the interstate. I'm going to weld back in the hood latch supports that I removed to relocate the transmission coolers and give me more clearance for the intercooler. Fair warning- my stick welds are like me- ugly but they work.
Old 11-10-2021, 03:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,435 Likes on 1,062 Posts

I do like the sound of the prochargers, esp when their "race" valve opens at WOT
HawkZ28 (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by arthursc2
I do like the sound of the prochargers, esp when their "race" valve opens at WOT
I LOVE the sound. It's like I'm driving a jet with the whine. I've only hit the valve open a couple times but it's unfockingbelievable.

I changed how the photos were uploaded in the previous posts from yesterday. Let me know that you can see the photos.

Pulled the grill and did my best stick welding job reattaching everything. I promised they'd be rather unfortunate in appearance, and I am sure that I delivered. But doggonnit, I "glued" metal together and no longer worry about the hood flying open. I did do a scan this a.m. when I took it out and my fueling was lean about 12% across the board at part throttle. I don't know if it's due to the diameter of the pipe going from 3.5" to 3" before the K&N 3.5" MAF tube, or due to the engine not quite being force fed. I'll remap the airflow model from part throttle and work on/learn the transition from NA to boost. I have been using a method from HPT forum where you tune both VE and MAF simultaneously off the NB's- it is so much faster and more accurate at part throttle than using your WBO2 and doing MAF, then VE, then touching them both up. I tuned my last Sierra and my wife's Escalade with this method and picked up some MPG as well as some part throttle fun factor. Link to the method is HERE.

I took my youngest out for a quick drive. She liked it until I floored it from a roll....can't wait to do it again but with traction control off. I'm still grinning as I type this. I can't get over not only how much power the truck has but the AWD hooking and booking HARD on wet streets. It's just that stupid.

It's done for the time being short of tuning and revising the PCV entry into the intake. I used a leftover part of a CAI I had for either a 4.3L Blazer or Grand Am (only silver piece in the intake or intercooler) and an air tool fitting to get the PCV done. Going to source a 90* 3/8 to 9/16" elbow to replace the jury rig.

Anyway, pictures from progress tonight.

Old 11-10-2021, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Shoulda cleaned your AC condenser off while you had all that stuff removed, would have made it work less to cool lol.
HawkZ28 (11-11-2021)

Quick Reply: D1SC Procharger Johnny Cash Build