FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Behold the 383 shortblock

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 01:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by swift700
.040 head gaskets have been ordered. I hope it's the right choice. Anyone looking for some unused .051 MLS gaskets?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that...
That bit of bump in compression should really help out of boost, not to mention the additional "squish" at the quench pads which will help with turbulence right before ignition on the compression stroke.

Just make sure you clay and measure the piston to valve clearances on that bad boy before you fire it up, that's all I'd say you really have to worry about. That and making sure the shorter gaskets don't wind up making the pushrods depress the lifter's pushrod cups to far into their bores (ie: may need shorter rods, but probably not).
Old 03-01-2011, 03:11 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
.035-.045 piston to wall will affect how much, I've hear of tighter, .030 and under but I think I set mine at .04
How did that sound? Do you remember the finish bore size?
Old 03-01-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure you clay and measure the piston to valve clearances on that bad boy before you fire it up, that's all I'd say you really have to worry about. That and making sure the shorter gaskets don't wind up making the pushrods depress the lifter's pushrod cups to far into their bores (ie: may need shorter rods, but probably not).
I have the modelling clay and checker springs already. The Vinci rocker setup is the post-type so after zero lash is set, you tighten down a couple of turns. It's more forgiving than other setups. My pushrods should work but if anything, the roller wheel might not ride on the right part of the valve top. This would be the only case where I'd need shorter pushrods. With the deck surfaced, the heads milled .012 and a .011 thinner gasket I'll have to have a really good look.

And yes, I'm feeling good about the extra compression already. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by swift700
I agree. A few reasons I built a 383 over a 408 were:

1. I already had the heads. They would have been too small for a 408 and too big for my 5.3
2. I didn't want to max out my blower. It's more suitable to a 383 than a 408.
3. I wanted some semblance of fuel economy. This is the truck I commute with. It's a short commute but I do drive it around town.
4. the 5.3 blocks are so easy to find, and cheap. I got the whole engine for $200 and have sold a few parts from it to further offset the cost.
5. Everyone's doing a 408. I know it's an excellent engine but I like the size of the 383. It's halfway between the 6.0 and the 408 and it's different, especially with a blower. Not many guys have done one.
6. It will have some awesome torque, bar none. Especially if I upgrade to a TVS2300.

I know there aren't too many good reasons for building a 383 over a 408 but now that I have it I'm glad I built it. There's a kid in a town nearby that I know and he just built a 383 Vortec for his '98 4x4 Sierra. He thinks he'll have a good chance against mine even after I'm done the swap. It's a nice truck, but boy is he in for a surprise this summer.
Plus smaller bores have a better resistance to detonation. The flame has to travel less distance across the bore.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The main thing I like about bigger bores is the les valve shrouding and with how good the L92/LS3 heads are they can really take advantage of that bore. With being forced induction though its not near as pertinent. I think youre going to be really happy with your setup. I doubt given your shoes Id upgrade to the 2300, Id just juice it with 150 shot if I got bored with the 1900s power.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
The main thing I like about bigger bores is the les valve shrouding and with how good the L92/LS3 heads are they can really take advantage of that bore...
Yep, those square ports can really flow.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Plus smaller bores have a better resistance to detonation.
Good point.

I'd just juice it with 150 shot if I got bored with the 1900s power.
I've considered a nitrous shot for the future and that's probably what I'll do. But first, I found a low mileage 4L80E today for $400 and will be doing a tranny swap in the not-so-distant future... after I blow the 60E to pieces, that is.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

I picked up my 80E today for 4 bills. It came off a wrecked '03 and had 15k miles on a rebuild. It included the TC, dipstick, cooler lines, flexplate and mounting hardware. For you guys who've done the swap on the 4x4, how long did it take you to do it?
Old 03-02-2011, 11:47 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

I can't speak to the 4X4 part but an 80E swap is pretty straight forward. You need to hook up the extra speed sensor to the PCM, have a shorter driveshaft, have the trans support modified, and then just swap it. Took me about 2 hours or so. Call it 3 with prep work and clean-up. (On a lift)
Old 03-03-2011, 05:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did mine in the driveway, but of course i took the entire motor out to do it lol. I can tell you though that i JUST finished doing a rear main seal on my truck and its basically the same involved. The only thing that differs in my experience than what 1Slow is saying, is that i needed a longer drive shaft not a shorter one! I have a 4x4 ECSB ... When i got the rear DS i needed to get a custom built one so that i could place in a carrier bearring since my shaft was longer and weighed a little more!

Quick Reply: Behold the 383 shortblock