FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Anyone in cold climate with new STS piping?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone in cold climate with new STS piping?

I'm asking this to see if the issue I have been having since temps have been below freezing is fixed by the new STS wastegate mounting location.
I have been having serious issues every time the temp drops below aboyt 25 degrees. I think at anything above that the warmth of the pipes is just enough to keep the boost reference lines from feezing up along with the wastegate.
Below that the flow of cold air under the truck overwhelms the system.
I know the new pipes have been out a while and want to know if anyone who drives in a cold climate still has the issues.
If you still have problems I need to come up with something better to make my truck driveable in winter.
I took off my wastegate and boost lines last night after leaving my truck in our showroom at work to find both the lines and the gate filled with dirty balck water! I don't know how the hell it even works when iots warmer with all this fluid in there.
I blew out my lines with compressed air and took the waste gate apart and cleaned it thoughouly.
Put everything back together and it worked fine on the ride home and this morning on the way to work. It was about 10 degees this morning and this is the first time its worked correctly in that low of temps.
I sent off another e-mail to STS about replacing my rusty pipes that were not ceramic coated properly to see if this other issue could be resolved by getting the new pipe. It has not been quite a year yet since installing my STS kit.
We will see what they say.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have new pipes. But the temp here has only been in the low 30's. Still I have not had any problems that you described.

Smoke
Old 12-20-2005, 10:08 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the old pipe on mine, it has got down to 16 deg here, but my truck is never left out side over night, but you say it freezes while you are driving?
Old 12-20-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
I have the old pipe on mine, it has got down to 16 deg here, but my truck is never left out side over night, but you say it freezes while you are driving?
My truck is in a garage every night. It is warmer in the garage but not much.
I think its just warm enough in there to keep it from freezing up but as soon as I start driving it freezes up the wastegate because there is allot of condensation from the exhaust trickling down into the gate.
Maybe after purging the system last night I'll be ok for a while, but I am sure the issue will arrise again.
I do not have any issues when the temp is above freezing, just below about 20-25 degrees.
If I had a damm tig welder and a chop saw I'd make my own piping and replace the peices with the mounting issues.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by FlyingLow
I have new pipes. But the temp here has only been in the low 30's. Still I have not had any problems that you described.

Smoke
Off the subject but anyways...Nice truck man!
What are your times going to be with the turbo???
Old 12-20-2005, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

I am an sts dealer in NJ.

My truck is in the heated garage most of the time so I don't have the problem, yet.

I have a customer in MA that had a problem recently. He would hit up to 16lbs of boost whether he was in high or low boost.

I figured his reference lines were clogged with ice.

Whenever, summer, winter, whatever, I remove my reference lines, there is water (condensation) in them, especially the front/side one, going to the vac/boost reference point. If its cold enough, they got to freeze.

He brought his truck inside for awhile and it all cleared up.

The only fix I can think of quickly is to wrap the lines with some insulation, or better yet, some heat tape. But I don't know of any 12V heat tape.

A quick fix for this is to keep a large screwdriver or a 5/16ths wrench in the truck and remove the charge pipe to the throttle body. That will take the turbo out of the picture and you don't have to get wet or dirty.

You will just have a large leaf blower under the hood.

Last edited by kenihemi; 12-21-2005 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
Off the subject but anyways...Nice truck man!
What are your times going to be with the turbo???

Thanks, I don't know on the times. I am hoping I can drop into the 11's. The truck sure does feel a lot faster. Gotta wait till spring to head back to the track. The last time I went was also my first time ever to a track. There is not one close by so I just wait until some local guys have a track rental and head up with them.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:12 AM
On The Tree

The turbo will take 1.5 seconds off your time no problem.

That is gonna be one fast truck. Good Luck!