FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Air to water to air

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air to water to air

Just wondering what ur guys input is on me goin to and air to water to air intercooler.. 12x9x4 3inch inlet and outlet
Old 07-26-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

you mean an air to water? lol

anywho , from my experience at least. an air to air works a little better for daily driven vehicle , where heat soak really doesent come into play since air is always flowing and not getting hotter.

where as a air to water , works great at the track . you can have a reservoir set to your size/needs and you can control the temp and get sub ambient temps with ice . however when driven for longer periods of time the water will warm from pulling the heat out of the intake charge over time.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

cool thanks
Old 07-27-2009, 06:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm currently installing the Killer Chiller system on my truck and it's a air to water setup but it also uses the Airconditioning Freon system to drop the water temps in the inercooler system by 50 deg's. This will defenite be a better DD setup. (http://www.killerchiller.com/system_3_page.htm)
Old 07-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ONLYA4.8L
Just wondering what ur guys input is on me goin to and air to water to air intercooler.. 12x9x4 3inch inlet and outlet
Like mentioned already air to air usually street. Air to water at the track.
unless you have a way of always cooling the water. Heres a link to what we did with one of our set ups. Also with air to water you can get below abien air temps with using ice in a tank.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

I'd REALLY like to see that killer chiller in person. I've been toying with the idea of making something like that myself. I've been a little concerned about how it would affect the a/c system, but then again suburbans and tahoes have a front and rear a/c sytem, so I dont see why it couldn't work.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blown3qtr
I'd REALLY like to see that killer chiller in person. I've been toying with the idea of making something like that myself. I've been a little concerned about how it would affect the a/c system, but then again suburbans and tahoes have a front and rear a/c sytem, so I dont see why it couldn't work.
I will post up my results and findings with pics soon i hope, I have been data logging and recording my IAT vs OAT(Outside Air Temp) also my A/C pressures and output temp at the vents, and IAT advance or how much timing is being pulled durring normal driving in traffic and on the highway and durring a 0-125mph pull after heat soak on the streets.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:06 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one thing i never could figure out is, if the water to air intercooler has a big radiator to cool the water back off how does it get heat soak? seems like it would cool the water back down to ambiet temps.?.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Water/Air setup works great. System holds about 3 gallons of water. And my resivor will hold 10# ice easy.

I have a Magnacharger Heat Exchanger mounted below my Trans cooler.

here is how my system is setup.....

Reservoir > Pump > Heat Exhanger> Heater Core > Intercooler> Reservoir

Just cruising my IATs are about 8-12* above Ambient. when its nice and hot outside any sane person is goin to have their air conditioner on. So i just turn the blender to around half way. After about 5 Minutes the IATs start falling, on a 104* on the rear view mirror ive seen a low of 84* IATs. Im sure it would have gone lower, but i had to take my exit.

Its nice when towing during the summer, IATs stay decently low. And when i get in boost the water/Meth drops it even more.

With the Heater core lines looped on the water pump, the AC blows about 5* cooler. atleast thats what my lil thermometer showed in the center vent.

So its a win win situation.

I ran out of hose and the 2 hoses goin to the Heater Core are touching the Cold side pipe before the Intercooler so im sure theres a few more Degrees there.

its fun messing with these kinda things.