FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

6.2l l86 650+ rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 05:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6.2l l86 650+ rwhp

I've been out of the game for a while and now trying to do a little research. I have a Procharged 2002 WS.6 with a cam and headers making 550 rwhp.

What would it take with either a TVS2300 or 2.9L Whipple to get a 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2L L86 to 650+ rwhp?

It appears that 550 rwhp is easily obtainable with a 2.9L Whipple, 1 7/8" headers and custom tune, but what is the limiting factor? Is it fuel, rods, pistons, belt slip, transmission etc...? Why can't I just pulley down to 650 rwhp?
Old 02-22-2018, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 401 Likes on 316 Posts

Air heats up too much and offsets gains. It can be done just need more fuel than most want to throw at it in a daily, which majority of supercharged trucks are. I'm wanting to do a 2650 on a 6.2, that should be the ticket to your goal...

If you have to choose between the 2 mentioned, go with the 2.9 whipple, it moves more air and that what you need. It won't respond like the 2300 though, you have to stay on top of that charger to keep it in the boost from my understanding...
Old 02-22-2018, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LT4 high pressure fuel pump and injectors. More expensive than expected, so shop now. Check Rockauto after looking at the popular aftermarket sites; I was able to get the HPFP for about $600 whereas the other sites are charging ~$900. Verified legit GM part/number. Injectors I got for about $50/ea.($10-$15 more at other sites) but I received an odd-looking part number that I am seeking to verify. Might be the exact thing or might be returning those.

May need something more in the tank on the low pressure side. Still looking into that but picked up a LT4 in-tank for under $200 while I was at it. Haven't even checked to see if that is adaptable to the truck but should know soon.

Since you are looking for a bit more power than usual on such a setup, it's hard to ignore the value of a cam. But it looks like a real PIA to do it in the vehicle compared to LS.

I just picked up a 6.2 for a turbo project and my trusted advisors are telling me to do pistons and rods at least before I start cranking things up. Apparently these pistons are nowhere near as strong as even the junk LS stuff due to the design and it is likely the ring lands will go very quickly at higher(like where you are headed) horsepower levels. I've go the luxury of having the thing on a pallet so I am in deep($) thought mode on that now; leaning toward rods and pistons or even stroker...because stupid. ;-)
Old 02-22-2018, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mercier
LT4 high pressure fuel pump and injectors. More expensive than expected, so shop now. Check Rockauto after looking at the popular aftermarket sites; I was able to get the HPFP for about $600 whereas the other sites are charging ~$900. Verified legit GM part/number. Injectors I got for about $50/ea.($10-$15 more at other sites) but I received an odd-looking part number that I am seeking to verify. Might be the exact thing or might be returning those.

May need something more in the tank on the low pressure side. Still looking into that but picked up a LT4 in-tank for under $200 while I was at it. Haven't even checked to see if that is adaptable to the truck but should know soon.

Since you are looking for a bit more power than usual on such a setup, it's hard to ignore the value of a cam. But it looks like a real PIA to do it in the vehicle compared to LS.

I just picked up a 6.2 for a turbo project and my trusted advisors are telling me to do pistons and rods at least before I start cranking things up. Apparently these pistons are nowhere near as strong as even the junk LS stuff due to the design and it is likely the ring lands will go very quickly at higher(like where you are headed) horsepower levels. I've go the luxury of having the thing on a pallet so I am in deep($) thought mode on that now; leaning toward rods and pistons or even stroker...because stupid. ;-)
How were you able to get pump for $600...its now listed at close to $800...thx for the info btw.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinlmm
Air heats up too much and offsets gains. It can be done just need more fuel than most want to throw at it in a daily, which majority of supercharged trucks are. I'm wanting to do a 2650 on a 6.2, that should be the ticket to your goal...

If you have to choose between the 2 mentioned, go with the 2.9 whipple, it moves more air and that what you need. It won't respond like the 2300 though, you have to stay on top of that charger to keep it in the boost from my understanding...
I've never had a 2300 but my boost is instant with the 2.9 even from idle. That 2650 is gonna be a bad boy when available and would be my choice for sure. Any of these with fuel system, cam, headers should get you there np.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EarlH
How were you able to get pump for $600...its now listed at close to $800...thx for the info btw.
Dang; and I almost bought several but I figured if anything, the other sites would come down to RA price. Still saves you $150 off the $900+ Pace and others want for it but it was already a significant kick in the teeth @ $640.

The real tragedy here is that the LT1 pump, which cannot have much of a different mfg cost, is less than half that..$350 or so. The industry is gouging because they know they can.

See my order below from just last week. I was a little round on the numbers but you get the idea.

PS--I have been told by reputable sources that the L83 setup was good for a bit past ~550RWHP turbo. The L86 injectors are supposed to flow a bit more than L83. Do some research; you might have more headroom than you think but it would at best be close.

I think the real issue with the HPFP is that it is cam driven and therefore RPM DEPENDENT. So kinda different thought process compared to our old LS-based in-tank stuff. You may have a (high pressure)pump in there right now that can flow enough fuel to reach 650RWHP at 6500RPM *but* it may not produce enough fuel for all that boost from a PD blower at, say, 2000RPM. I guess what I am saying is: we need to look at fuel system "overhead" a bit differently because it could vary a lot by RPM.

Last edited by Mercier; 02-22-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mercier
Dang; and I almost bought several but I figured if anything, the other sites would come down to RA price. Still saves you $150 off the $900+ Pace and others want for it but it was already a significant kick in the teeth @ $640.

The real tragedy here is that the LT1 pump, which cannot have much of a different mfg cost, is less than half that..$350 or so. The industry is gouging because they know they can.

See my order below from just last week. I was a little round on the numbers but you get the idea.

PS--I have been told by reputable sources that the L83 setup was good for a bit past ~550RWHP turbo. The L86 injectors are supposed to flow a bit more than L83. Do some research; you might have more headroom than you think but it would at best be close.

I think the real issue with the HPFP is that it is cam driven and therefore RPM DEPENDENT. So kinda different thought process compared to our old LS-based in-tank stuff. You may have a (high pressure)pump in there right now that can flow enough fuel to reach 650RWHP at 6500RPM *but* it may not produce enough fuel for all that boost from a PD blower at, say, 2000RPM. I guess what I am saying is: we need to look at fuel system "overhead" a bit differently because it could vary a lot by RPM.

Finally..purchased on at $640. Something told me to keep checking back. RE: intank....any experience on low side requirements? Anyone know how much LT4 Hi Pressure Pump/Injectors/Stock In-Tank can support?
Old 03-03-2018, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EarlH
Finally..purchased on at $640. Something told me to keep checking back. RE: intank....any experience on low side requirements? Anyone know how much LT4 Hi Pressure Pump/Injectors/Stock In-Tank can support?
Nice.

Not yet personally. I would check CTS-V(gen 3) or Z06 forums as that's exactly what they have. Sadly I drive one every day but don't know. I guess I'm trying, for once, to NOT mod one of my vehicles.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a thread I have been saving for a rainy day. I haven't read it through yet or verified the info but it is likely valuable.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...for-lt1-2.html