Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

Tru Trac, 10 bolt diff advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 02:29 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Where did you get the shim from?
Old 08-05-2013, 07:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oakley6575
I run an auburn and it has been awesome and reliable.

I wonder why the damn shim would break. Are you going to throw the tru trac back in?
Yeah I am going to dismantle the Tru Trac, clean it up and use the thicker c-clamps. Guess I will check it every couple of years to see if the c-clips are wearing bad again.

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
Iv never seen a shim break and to break in almost even parts like that. Very weird.
That is the part I don't get yet.

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Where did you get the shim from?
Not sure as I didn't put that rear together.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AUTOT3K
detroit LOCKER over here I beat the **** out of it almost daily, no issues what so ever and I havent seen many locker fail threads but far to many tru trac fails.
that shim breaking is strange, what was your case pre load? did you have one hell of a time pounding that shim in?
I didn't put the rear together so not sure of preload
Old 08-05-2013, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pittman
I didn't put the rear together so not sure of preload
I was just asking cause it must of been way over loaded to break that shim, or they dropped it or used a chisel to install it maybe? which in turn could've taken out the tru trac
Old 08-05-2013, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Remove Tru Trac...... put in nearest scrap metal dumpster...... install better designed traction aid more suited for use in a truck.... aka Detroit Locker. Done.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
Remove Tru Trac...... put in nearest scrap metal dumpster...... install better designed traction aid more suited for use in a truck.... aka Detroit Locker. Done.
this man ^^^ showed me the light haha
Old 08-05-2013, 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is sort of hard to tell from the pics, but is there wear at the tip of the tooth on the pinion and the ring gear? Can you assemble everything and see how they mesh? I know it would be very hard with the broken shim, maybe a new one with the same thickness. Did you install this? If you didnt I would check for a dent in the shim near a break. Maybe they dropped it and it broke. One thing that is important is to install and torque the caps down every time you check the lash when adding or removing shims. I know when they are installed properly you cant pull the unit out by hand, but when it is torqued down, the lash will change.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

I was just asking cause it must of been way over loaded to break that shim, or they dropped it or used a chisel to install it maybe? which in turn could've taken out the tru trac
Yeah, odd thing is..this diff has been run hard for over 4 years now. It should have went out a long time ago if anything was setup wrong.

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
LMAO...I hear you. This is my last TT

this man ^^^ showed me the light haha
Originally Posted by Gadgetized
It is sort of hard to tell from the pics, but is there wear at the tip of the tooth on the pinion and the ring gear? Can you assemble everything and see how they mesh? I know it would be very hard with the broken shim, maybe a new one with the same thickness. Did you install this? If you didnt I would check for a dent in the shim near a break. Maybe they dropped it and it broke. One thing that is important is to install and torque the caps down every time you check the lash when adding or removing shims. I know when they are installed properly you cant pull the unit out by hand, but when it is torqued down, the lash will change.
I cannot find any damage anywhere except for the worn C-clips and slag on the case from the gear rubbing (+ broken shim). I am going to just replace the shim, C-clips, and dismantle the TT and clean up the slag so it doesn't come loose and fragment thru out the diff.

The shim seemed to break as I backed out of a friends driveway. I was near the curb, put it in reverse, and when the tires dropped into the curb (slight drop in the miami roll curb), I heard it pop. Then when I put in drive to go forward, the noise from the diff was an immediate howl. That must have been when the shim actually fell apart. It could have been cracked for awhile.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by black00chev
Only thing I know that would help would be the Moser carrier studs and girdle cover.
I was looking at those yesterday, good idea. I am going with the studs.

My 4 link cross bar is almost against the cover so running the larger finned one won't be possible without major mods.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:42 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

4 years of hard usage is good IMO. Some people expect parts to last forever. I think 4 years of hard use is great, esp. for anything with a 10 bolt.

A Detroit Locker is good too if you can live with the way they behave. They are expensive as well.

Here are some pics of my Powertrax Lockrite mockup I made a few days ago. I went through 3 of them, this is the 3rd unit I didnt feel like shipping over the border for warranty.

Mock up on my alignment rack
Name:  033.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  290.1 KB

Locked position
Name:  036.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  226.2 KB

Unlocked
Name:  038.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  53.2 KB

Name:  042.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  213.0 KB

With a shearpin installed, there are 4 of them when installed in truck.
Name:  049.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  57.0 KB

Coupler and driver assemblies
Name:  029.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  311.4 KB

Compare the above Powertrax Lock Rite Locker, to this Powertrax No Slip Traction System. There are extra parts which are supposed to help quiet down the ratcheting sound while cornering.
Name:  noslip2.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  15.8 KB

peace
Hog

Quick Reply: Tru Trac, 10 bolt diff advice