Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

Front brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by custm2500
I called the track go to and they said they wouldn't say anything. He said I should be just fine but if I push 120-130 mph it would be about time to add shoot just for back up.

The only down side he said is if I run in a class that crossing the stage lights is disqualification. So that is the only reason many door slammers run front brakes so they have more control to not pass the stage area. I don't plan to run in a class at least for now so that isn't a big deal.
I might search for a light weight caliper and work some weight out of the rotors.
it would probably be safer and save more weight to just drill holes in your frame all the way down the truck.

another great idea is fill your tires with helium to make them lighter. maybe even seal the bed so you can fill it too!

a chute on an 11 second truck would also be logical...

i think you get my idea that this is a terrible idea. if you are this concerned about weight then why the hell did you mod an HD truck??? also if you go to the ls1 truck shootout with this setup please let me know before i drive to Texas and forget my video camera...
Old 10-18-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah!!!!!! why mod an HD truck and then try and lighten it up?
Further more, why start a thread asking for peoples input to the question "Is it cool to remove my front brakes to save weight?" only to get the collective answer of "NO" and then defend your idea tooth and nail when people don't agree?
If you already know everything... why ask the question?
Old 10-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still say you are crazy. I would take 10lbs of safety over what you have now.

It may work but I can promise you it flexes and that means it isn't as fast as it could or should be again for only 10lbs. or less of backup.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...9&postcount=17

annnd
Anyone removed front brakes on a truck that doesn't need a shoot. I was curious because everyone says with skinnies you have minimal braking with the fronts anyhow and I have a lot of weight in front brakes. Also if I removed them I could do a spindle wheel and drop event more weight. The truck may run 11s before the end of the year if all goes right and mid 10s or faster is almost set in stone next year. I realize this isn't all that fast but 40-70 lbs off the nose and rotational weight to boot for free should net some good gains in the 1320.

I plan to trailer the truck to the track and only occasionally drive it to street race or cruise to a show. Before actualy removing them I would turn my linelock around and see how she stops without the fronts working. I know it isn't ideal but this trucks rear disks probably have more stopping power then a full set of factory brakes on a f-body and certain as much stopping power as an old muscle car with drums all the way around.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He is loosing performance by the setup he has flexing.

I would be gaining performance, and we are talking nearly 100 lbs, 50 of that is rotating mass not including spindle wheels if I went to them eventually.

If this were never ever going to see street duty i would test it and if testing permitted I would do it in a heart beat. I in fact may just to prove my point take it to the track once without front brakes.
Since I will occasionally be driving it on the street I have plans to lighten it up allot and maintain front brakes. As I get the parts and and the plan comes together I will show the finished product. Basically I will be making a custom set of drag brakes. And this will suit all aspects. Light, fairly cheap, and maintain some stopping power for the street.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how are you gaining performance? the calipers and pads ARE NOT rotating mass. how are you going to do away with rotors? this whole idea is not only stupid but VERY unsafe....go clamp off your front breaks, get up to about 60 mph, than watch how long it takes you to stop. 70% of your breaking power comes from the front....probly closer to 80% in that truck
Old 10-18-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, i got an even better idea on how to go faster!

heres what you GOTA do...
get a twin turbo setup, but make sure the turbo inlets are facing each other so it creates a time-space continuum which essentially makes pretty much the ultimate low pressure zone. but since its out front of your truck it will basically pull your truck forward. thatll be better than taking off ALL of your brakes!!!!!!!!!

eeh??
Old 10-18-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

oo, and you dont even have to worry about hooking up the turbos to make boost or anything, were just goin after the black hole idea here... so you dont have to worry about a re-tune or anything!
Old 10-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Its a damn truck dude. A 2500 at that. Read that twice please. I generally take weight saving farther than most would but seriously dude...your brakes? When Darwinism goes into effect I hope no one is on the track with you.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the rotational mass of the discs is very minimal...now if you had 24s, the rotational mass would hurt you, but a damn disc? come on...get some drilled and slotted rotors if you want to save weight on brakes...
Old 10-18-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What size tire are you using on your "narrowed stock wheels"?
The dragsters that run no front brakes are also on bicycle tires.

Quick Reply: Front brakes?